WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

5 minutes ago, Weng said:

They played in Columbus.  They play in Minnesota after Hamilton.  It’ll be colder in Minnesota than it was in Columbus or Hamilton 

Right.  Corrected.  Although Columbus was still below freezing.  I'm not sure what it was a game time, but the high for the day was -2, and the low was -12.  That's right around what Hamilton will be.

Edited by RJB

2 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Assume this is to give the Americans something to think about. I would be shocked if he doesn't play tomorrow after all this. Must be a big boost internally for the team. 

USMNT twitter has been a hoot all day with the Weah stuff... I am sure they will continue to lose their minds over this lol. 

Twitter has been full of American tears over Weah and the game start time.

I love it

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Late Sunday evening in Europe, game to be broadcasted on so many Sports networks across the globe. 

90% of the world will be cheering for us :).

Not that we needed anymore statement games to wake up the world.... A win tmwr, with so many eyes around the world watching and without two of our top players. The world is definitely watching and taking notice. 

I'm already so hyped. 

I'm talking on behalf of my Spanish language background from having friends and family in Spain and Uruguay.  And one thing made my generation and older people like you Canadians is the cultural gift you gave to the world: comedians.  

Movies are a cultural net.  When you check, that guy is Canadian, that other funny actor is Canadian.  The list is endless.  UNESCO should name your canadian comedians humanity's cultural heritage. 

Leslie Nielsen, Aykroyd, Candy, Moranis, Hartman, Short, Fox, Carrey, Myers, N MacDonald, the kids in the hall troupe, Chong, Perry, OHara, Fraser,  Michaels, Levy, Diamantoupoulos, Gagnon,  Arnett, Green, Rogen, Cera, Baruchel, Sasso,  Reynolds and many more    it is not a coincidence.   

The Spanish speaking world that I belong think of Canada as a big factory of comedy genius.  And the idea of bringing joy and laughs to this world so unfair so unequal it is a humanity cultural action.  

You may not have idea or havent stopped to think about it, but what all this crafted comedy-vaudeville-burlesque  people did for your country as cultural ambassadors is immense.

Edited by JAVIERF

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Twitter has been full of American tears over Weah and the game start time.

I love it

People not on twitter are missing out. I know it is a minority of USMNT fans, vast majority are great. But the few are loud and proud with questionable intelligence. 

Here is a gem

Sorry to the MODs, I know it really isn't on topic but geeze lol. 

Edited by canuckgbp

15 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

People not on twitter are missing out. I know it is a minority of USMNT fans, vast majority are great. But the few are loud and proud with questionable intelligence. 

Here is a gem

Sorry to the MODs, I know it really isn't on topic but geeze lol. 

Cecil Clark for President!!

Wait, if I suggest a random wacko be considered for president, people will know I’m joking, right…?  No one would ACTUALLY vote for someone that crazy…

Edited by shorty

5 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

You might be right!

If they dont show up there would be points deducted for sure. 

Sorry my ignorance, what is going on?  The Canadian ultras went to the USA team hotel to play some drums and music sessions?   

Could you please explain me my good Canadian friends

3 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

If they dont show up there would be points deducted for sure. 

Sorry my ignorance, what is going on?  The Canadian ultras went to the USA team hotel to play some drums and music sessions?   

Could you please explain me my good Canadian friends

Long story short: Timothy Weah (USMNT player from Lille) does not meet Canada's vaccine requirements (or the US if he wasn't American allegedly). So because he can't come into the country, some American fans are taking their complaining to the point of suggesting they forfeit the game because that would "prove a point" to us Canadians.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Long story short: Timothy Weah (USMNT player from Lille) does not meet Canada's vaccine requirements (or the US if he wasn't American allegedly). So because he can't come into the country, some American fans are taking their complaining to the point of suggesting they throw the game because that would "prove a point" to us Canadians.

I think some of those American fans would find some kindred spirits today if they overshot their drive to Hamilton by about 4 or 5 hours.

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

Long story short: Timothy Weah (USMNT player from Lille) does not meet Canada's vaccine requirements (or the US if he wasn't American allegedly). So because he can't come into the country, some American fans are taking their complaining to the point of suggesting they throw the game because that would "prove a point" to us Canadians.

Well that's up to the country's decision if the player doesn't have the PRC or vaccines you have the right to forbid his entrance.  The US will play because otherwise

1/ it is an international scandal.

2/ 5 points could be deducted as penalization.

The only fellow who could unlock this is Trudeau.  He has to speak.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty funny that the US can be given home field advantage for our regional championship every single iteration and they think that is just fine but we enforce reasonable and very well publicized health measures at the border during a pandemic and they lose their shit.  Lol.  

Nevermind the fact that the US did not allow the entire Cuban national team to enter due to 'visa issues' for last year's Gold Cup. 

That is a far bigger sporting travesty than Weah being denied entry

Just now, JAVIERF said:

Well that's up to the country's decision if the player doesn't have the PRC or vaccines you have the right to forbid his entrance.  The US will play because otherwise

Not to get political, but also to end the conversation here before it gets too sidetracked: 

A) it's a very small minority of USMNT fans. Although there are a lot of complaints, there are also some critiquing the US Soccer Federation for leaving it until this week to determine his ability to cross the border.

B ) Trudeau has more pressing things to be worried about this weekend.

But ya, bottom line, the rules are the rules. Weah won't play, the rest of the Americans will. And as per usual there's idiots on twitter.

3 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

What ever happened to that Brazil v Argentina WCQ game that was suspended?

That was far more controversial than Weah

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

What ever happened to that Brazil v Argentina WCQ game that was suspended?

That was far more controversial than Weah

Yeah.  That was a "faux pas".   vaudeville and burlesque.  So the game started.  But had a political situation since Bolso is extreme right and anti vaccine but for the match he wanted to block the player who came from England.  We played Venezuela away prior and wasn't any problem.   Was a vendetta from sour Italian Brazilian Bolsonaro the maffia is in his veins. Jaja.

Just rewatched the Nashville game. Reinforced my desire to see a 5-4-1 tomorrow. We lined up:

Larin

Davies                 Kaye                  Eustaquio                Hoilett

Adekugbe       Kennedy    Henry       Johnston         Laryea

Borjan

——

• The first 20-25 minutes in the 5-4-1 the US created almost nothing. When we tried to switch to a 4-4-2 things went a bit scewy for the rest of the half. Herdman stayed in the 4-4-2 at the start of the second half, gave up the goal, scored the tying goal, and then went right back to the 5-4-1. Every major chance after that was Canadian.
  • The US struggled with our pace on the wings, regardless of whether it was Davies or our others. If Hoilett managed to find space, Buchanan and Millar are definitely going to have some fun.
  • Speaking of Hoilett, he’s such a great weapon to have if we need to make a late comeback. Draws fouls, finds little spaces, shoots from outside. A number of times he came inside to help, intercepted the ball, and then progressed it from a deep position. His defensive contributions should not be underestimated. I don’t want to waste him in the first half where he’ll be run out of the game, but if he doesn’t start against the US, who is our set piece taker? (Edit: this was written before the Eustaquio news came out)
  • Kennedy-Henry-Johnston looked solid. Henry was the player of the game defensively. 
  • Pulisic was quiet on the left. The biggest threats actually seemed to come via the right. Not having Weah will definitely hurt them, but they still have weapons on that side.
  • David subbed in for Larin a little past the hour mark. Expecting the same tomorrow. Buchanan in for Hoilett at the same time, expecting the reverse tomorrow.
  • Miller/Henry finished off the USA game together and looked fine, so my previous misgivings of them as a pairing may not be warranted. Not advocating for them to start together, but it doesn’t scare me as much as it used to.

——

Larin (David 60’)

Millar            Kaye            Eustaquio          Buchanan (Hoilett 60’)

Adekugbe (Guti 75’)  _______.  _______    Johnston  Laryea

Borjan

Pick 2 of Kennedy, Cornelius, Henry, and Miller to fill those gaps. Hard to judge without seeing them in training and knowing how fit they are.

Edited by footballfreak

49 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty funny that the US can be given home field advantage for our regional championship every single iteration and they think that is just fine but we enforce reasonable and very well publicized health measures at the border during a pandemic and they lose their shit.  Lol.  

"If it is good enough for France, why isn't it good enough for Canada?"

'Nuff said:

The Nutty Professor movie: Jerry Lewis' zany double role in the classic  comedy from 1963 - Click Americana

It is interesting how the US chose to go north after Hamilton to freeze their butts off in Minnesota. If they get harsh conditions that could also backfire, extreme cold is mostly conducive to a scoreless draw. 

I have a freak theory: at first I was peeved that Herdman and Berhalter are buddies and have long chats, because I don't like collusion. But I now suspect Herdman might have filibustered Berhalter into chosing home venues that were not good for their game, frozen sites they'd have trouble playing in, that he sold him on the "Iceteca" theory of hosting qualifiers.

More cold north stuff: love telling folks here that Hamilton is a city to the south of La Coruña or Bilbao.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

Sounds like he arrived in Toronto around 2pm, and according to Wheeler he is now in Hamilton. 

Can somebody put this into some Lower Mainland context for me, please? Isn't Hamilton to Toronto roughly the same as Abbotsford or Langley are to Vancouver?