WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Found this and had to laugh, they are showing Canada's end of game drum celebration and you can hear one of the guys in the studio say "Why we gotta watch all this" Start at 1:49

Is there anywhere else to see this, the video does not run, appears its not available in our country. 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Found this and had to laugh, they are showing Canada's end of game drum celebration and you can hear one of the guys in the studio say "Why we gotta watch all this" Start at 1:49

Can someone who can see this rip it from youtube and upload it somewhere?

2 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Not sure if this has been posted but LOL

The new trend in sports broadcasting is have people who could truly cares less and know nothing about what they're talking about rant and rave about whatever has the most internet impressions. I kinda feel like all this US soccer bashing is more of a slight on Canadian soccer than anything else. I actually thought the US played OK. Problem is we're good

Edited by SpursFlu

I've listened to a handful of USMNT podcasts in the last few days (I've been off work for a few due to a blizzard). Some have given credit to Canada, others not, all crapping on their team and Berhalter. Definitely indulging in some schadenfreude. A theme is that Canada were hacking away at the US players, especially Pulisic, and the ref was too lenient. This was not my sense watching the match, that the physical, edgy battles were only one way. Am I out to lunch?

Just now, jonovision said:

I've listened to a handful of USMNT podcasts in the last few days (I've been off work for a few due to a blizzard). Some have given credit to Canada, others not, all crapping on their team and Berhalter. Definitely indulging in some schadenfreude. A theme is that Canada were hacking away at the US players, especially Pulisic, and the ref was too lenient. This was not my sense watching the match, that the physical, edgy battles were only one way. Am I out to lunch?

You aren't wrong, part of the frustration, and good American shows (shout out best soccer show) are much more balanced. Main issue with the US is Pulisic has not been performing well (1 goal, 0 assists) and at this point Berhalter doesn't know what to do with him.

One easy way so far is to disrupt his and the team's rhythm and the way to do that is be physical. The US doesn't seem to want to get physical outside of their defenders and that's a big issue for them so far.  Some shows will claim we and other teams are overtly physical but really its been that the US doesn't have the grit they're known for outside of guys like McKennie, Zimmerman and it's costing them right now.

I actually think they played well but Zardes sucks. We scored a goal in the 95th minute when they were stretched and a man down. I knew from the 85th minute on if we just keep punting down field we would likely score like we did. Last qualifying with no Canada they missed the WC. Now they're in 2nd. Im all for putting down US soccer but at a certain point its just ridiculous overreaction with a hint of disrespect towards Canada. I agree with finding podcasts or outlets with a nuanced conversation but I really pay no mind to the talking head rant and rave corporate media types who just look to tar and feather everyone

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Nope. I have noticed the exact same rhetoric all over the internet post match. I never had the impression during the game. It's possible we both have red-coloured glasses on, but I don't think so. I think it's more likely the Americans are doing their best to comprehend the loss and that's where they've ended up. 

I personally saw a match where the Americans had control of the midfield but weren't able to penetrate a very compact Canada side. That was also the observation from my mother in law who I watched the game with. She watches a lot of football (Spanish and Japanese mostly), but she's not Canadian or American and hasn't watched much of either team, so I consider her an unbiased observer. Take that for what it's worth. 

Looking back I do feel we maybe got away with some, but I definitely never felt that way at the time. I felt the game was called relatively even. By the time I re-watched the narrative of us hacking them to death was already in my consciousness, so I am unsure if that's changing my perspective a bit now.

Either way though, there was no major call that was missed against us.

Even the Vitoria collision with Zardes was just borderline, but Herc Gomez and others focusing on it tells me they are grasping at straws, because that sort of thing flies under the radar all the time. 

I think giving Berhalter his share of blame is fair but the Americans are diluting themselves if they believe this is only about the coach and they have this somehow vastly superior roster (which to be clear, is probably better, but also unbalanced and maybe not as relevant if you look at first choice 11’s).

They have a lot of guys who are valued highly because of their potential, not necessarily because they are world-beaters today. Pulisic is in awful form and their forwards are underwhelming.

The team with the better goal scorers (who are also in form) actually won. Nothing shocking about that. 

19 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I actually think they played well but Zardes sucks. We scored a goal in the 95th minute when they were stretched and a man down. I knew from the 85th minute on if we just keep punting down field we would likely score like we did. Last qualifying with no Canada they missed the WC. Now they're in 2nd. Im all for putting down US soccer but at a certain point its just ridiculous overreaction with a hint of disrespect towards Canada. I agree with finding podcasts or outlets with a nuanced conversation but I really pay no mind to the talking head rant and rave corporate media types who just look to tar and feather everyone

Yeah that’s a fair point. Didn’t qualify last time. Not dominating this time but will likely still qualify. 

Maybe if they should have a view more grounded in reality.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

The new trend in sports broadcasting is have people who could truly cares less and know nothing about what they're talking about rant and rave about whatever has the most internet impressions. I kinda feel like all this US soccer bashing is more of a slight on Canadian soccer than anything else. I actually thought the US played OK. Problem is we're good

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I don't see any disrespect towards Canada, especially amongst people in the know.  Yes, mainstreamers like Stephen A and PTI took shots at the USMNT, but from what I've seen they were more mocking Berhalter ("We completely dominated and didn't get the result we deserved") than they were criticizing the USMNT (and by implication, us).

19 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I don't see any disrespect towards Canada, especially amongst people in the know.  Yes, mainstreamers like Stephen A and PTI took shots at the USMNT, but from what I've seen they were more mocking Berhalter ("We completely dominated and didn't get the result we deserved") than they were criticizing the USMNT (and by implication, us).

It's disrespectful towards Canada because if the exact game occurred but those shirts weren't black they were Mexican shirts what would be the feeling? Your wife didn't leave you for a fat unemployed guy, she left you for George Clooney. American soccer fans and media people need to understand, we're the new best team in Concacaf.  they went on the road, dominated the ball, were pushing for a tie a man down against the #1 team. They're in 2nd ahead of Mexico, they're doing well