WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

I heard earlier today that he tested positive for Covid pre-game yesterday but he has no symptoms. A buddy of mine heard the news from one of Cav’s family members. Nothing in the media yet which makes me wonder if it’s true or not. I hope it’s all b.s. but it’s something that might develop over the next few days.

interesting - in one of the pre-game celebrations, I saw him coming off the bus.

Edited by trc2014

15 hours ago, footballfreak said:

It was an 0-2 loss to Guatemala in the first game of the 2006 WCQ Semi-final round. Guatemala was, on paper, the weakest team in the group besides us (group of death with CRC and HON), so the expectation was we absolutely needed to win to have a realistic shot of advancing. Carlos “El Pescadito” Ruiz scored twice and put us in a position that we never recovered from.

That was also the year Honduras became enemy number 1. We lead both games in that cycle 1-0. Honduras tied both, in the 88th and 92nd minute respectively. Pure rage. Not gonna lie, I don’t remember the exact circumstances of either goal, probably because I’ve blacked them out, but I do remember screaming at Benito Archundia through the TV.

The worst thing that Canadá Soccer did the last 20 years after winning the Gold Cup with Holger was trusting in individual flair than teamwork.  

Your Canadian coach Ex Ipswich Yallop, played good  football but the team was totally unbalanced.   All attacking player at the same time. De Guzman, Imhoff, De Rosario, peschisolido, radzinski, occean , Simpson all at the same time even Stalteri was an attacking player.  

you have always had the better players only behind Mexico in concacaf, you may have more depth now than before, but the main change is and a local league where you can incentive grassroots local players.  And to continue a process with these coach.  

If Yallop had remained you could have arrived to a WC Faster.  Because Yallop played good attacking football,  but with a crystal jaw at the back.  Every punch was an almost goal, That I think he would have corrected that mistake should he had remained more than 3 years in charge

Edited by JAVIERF

12 hours ago, Alex said:

I’m still buzzin from last night, I haven’t taken my jersey off. I just want to repeat something similar I saw on Twitter about the OGs. The fans who’ve followed this team for decades, the ones who listened to an internet radio stream of a friendly vs Wales in 2004 or the ones who attended games at varsity or lived through the entire year of 2013. This one is for all of us, and for those who’ve been here before me and lived and died with every kick. It’s real.

I was at that Wales match in 2004.  I went with Lowlander and we picked up Daniel and his brother in central London in my car (and we had to get the once over from his mom to make sure were legit!).  We met up there with Moosehead and I think one or two others.  I don’t think Daniel or Moosehead post on here anymore.  That was the extent of the Canadian support in the stands.  Lowlander and I went with my wife to Barcelos (close to Porto) to watch the friendly with Portugal.  Again, we were the only 3 Canadian fans in attendance other than a couple others we met who were half Portuguese half Canadian so had split loyalties.  Very similar when we went to Belfast to see Northern Ireland in 1999 for Holger’s first match.  I don’t remember meeting any Canadian fans then.  

We have come a long way baby and so excited to see all those jumping on the bandwagon and getting behind the team.  And to finally support such a worthwhile side whether its talent, how they play or the commitment they show.  I said to my wife yesterday that its like living in a dream.  I keep on thinking I am going to wake up and find out Garret Kusch is our striker and we lost to Surinam months ago.

Edit:  for the Wales match, there was another guy there who still posts on here but forgot his handle.  He normally posts about regional lower league stuff whether in the UK or Canada.  I think he has posted about League 1 in BC relatively recently

Edited by An Observer

Rewatching the match now. I've gained a whole new appreciation for Osorio in this cycle. He never used to have the appetite for defending, but did yeoman's work on that file in this match. And, quietly, his goal at Azteca might have been one of the biggest in the cycle. He's always going to be just on the fringes of a starting XI, but still such an important player for Canada.

Also: Kaye wasn't that bad. A few loose passes, but at least once or twice Laryea didn't come to the ball when he should have. I'd have no problem with him getting the start vs El Salvador.

Edited by jonovision

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Rewatching the match now. I've gained a whole new appreciation for Osorio in this cycle. He never used to have the appetite for defending, but did yeoman's work on that file in this match. And, quietly, his goal at Azteca might have been one of the biggest in the cycle. He's always going to be just on the fringes of a starting XI, but still such an important player for Canada.

I’m not surprised he has played like this during TFC’s  2017 Championship season and then during the CONCACAF Champoins League when TFC made the final . He has experience and it showed in yesterday’s game and in other games .

46 minutes ago, jonovision said:

He has matured into his role, knows his strengths and his limitations.  Also, an excellent road warrior.

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

I was at that Wales match in 2004.  I went with Lowlander and we picked up Daniel and his brother in central London in my car (and we had to get the once over from his mom to make sure were legit!).  We met up there with Moosehead and I think one or two others.  I don’t think Daniel or Moosehead post on here anymore.  That was the extent of the Canadian support in the stands.

Rock on! I'm just sad I lost the 2000 jersey in my last move :(. Thanks again for the lift, @An Observer

Image063.jpg

My word, David was immense in this match. When you watch a second time knowing the results you don't only remember the big moments, like from Borjan and Adekugbe, who were both also terrific. David was the best player on the pitch, the most quality, the smartest. If anyone out there was world class, it was him. Sets up Larin, almost creates a second with a pile driver of a shot and rebound chance (the highest xG chance of the game for either team, I believe). Drops back into midfield and drops dimes. Wins fouls when he needs to. What a player.

Also I think many of us, myself surely, rated Buchanan's performance somewhat harshly. Dest did a good job of shutting him down. But Dest provided almost no offense, something he was counted upon to do, and Tajon owns a large part of that. 

Remarkable how in control of the match Canada was when they didn't have a whole lot of the ball.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Also: Kaye wasn't that bad. A few loose passes, but at least once or twice Laryea didn't come to the ball when he should have. I'd have no problem with him getting the start vs El Salvador.

It is brilliant in how absolutely smooth it was. He was never missing that. Clinical A.F. 

10 hours ago, vancanman said:

The ball was won in the air, albeit rather easily, but followed by three very nice one-touch passes, and a beautiful finish, but if the Yanks want to say their team's shite, I'll agree with that too.

What's ironic about this is that the very thing the US needed to do to break down our low block was move the ball more quickly, likely incorporating incisive one-touch passes like we did on the first goal.  The problem with the US at the moment is culture and leadership.  Lots of young talent, but it all goes to waste without culture and leadership. At times the entire program, including their fans and media, come across as entitled prats.  As Herdman keeps says: "Stay humble".

And since a couple of you have been talking about David and Oso, I think it is good to note that those two tend to play very well together.  They are both very smart players; they get each other.  Oso is a catalyst out there for the offense.  (And, on Sunday, he put in a workmanlike--and intelligent--shift defensively.)

For me, David showed on Sunday that his ceiling is even higher than I expected (and I had pretty darn high expectations). He played a pretty damn complete game for us. No prima donnas on this squad.  

34 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Also I think many of us, myself surely, rated Buchanan's performance somewhat harshly. Dest did a good job of shutting him down. But Dest provided almost no offense, something he was counted upon to do, and Tajon owns a large part of that. 

Totally agree.  Having Buchanan on his off wing going up against the Barcelona's starting RB was always going to be tough, and yeah, it was.  Dest is so quick and so good with his feet.  But on the flip side, Tajon's defense was immense too.  That play where he dispossessed Dest, drew a foul and then stood forehead to forehead staring him down was so  symbolic of that battle they had.  Epic mano a mano stalemate.  And needless to say, it enabled us to win a few battles elsewhere that won us that game... 

Their possession didn't translate into bona fide attacking threats:  we looked secure in our defensive shape (contrast that to the dying moments of the Gold Cup semi vs Mexico) and our goalie was better in the few key moments they had towards goal.

I honestly felt that we won without our total A game and that's what really good teams do:  find ways to win.  For instance, though on the attack Buchanon wasn't "on" offenisvely, he continued to be committed to the other important parts of his defensive play, highlighted by his shut down and in your grill gesture  on Dest on one particular play in the second half.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

What's ironic about this is that the very thing the US needed to do to break down our low block was move the ball more quickly, likely incorporating incisive one-touch passes like we did on the first goal.  The problem with the US at the moment is culture and leadership.  Lots of young talent, but it all goes to waste without culture and leadership. At times the entire program, including their fans and media, come across as entitled prats.  As Herdman keeps says: "Stay humble".

If the shoe fits...

You're right, they're wasting their talent with horrible coaching, and that attitude isn't going to help them.

I can't believe how lucky we are to have Herdman.