WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I thought it was a magnificent goal but all the American commentators were claiming it was due to the Yanks being asleep at the wheel.

The ball was won in the air, albeit rather easily, but followed by three very nice one-touch passes, and a beautiful finish, but if the Yanks want to say their team's shite, I'll agree with that too.

31 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Heh, possibly.  Why the hell was Adekugbe up there in the 95th minute anyway?? 

Actually, in hindsight, I don't care.  😁

I remember thinking that when I saw it, but having looked at the replay it actually makes sense. 

He was in his position, tried a give and go with Hoillet making the run up the wing, but Hoilett couldn't control and had to give it back to Miller instead, who just booted it up and Adekube just put on the jets and chased it down.

If Hoilett had managed to give him the ball, the same thing probably would've happened, just Ugbo would've scored, there was no one there and he probably would sent Ike through on the 2v1

give.png

Edited by rydermike

29 minutes ago, sstackho said:

At 1:17, with Adekugbe on the breakaway, looks like Herdman says a quick prayer. 

I noticed that as well and wondered what he was doing, you could be right.  :)

A phrase that comes to mind for those who aren't spiritual is something IIRC Dwight Eisenhower said during the time of the Kennedy assassination.  He used the term "prayerful thoughts" which I've always liked.  In my opinion that asks religious people for prayer and non religious to send out some good vibes, and that's something that can never hurt any situation.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

So where was Cavallini yesterday? Don’t see him anywhere in the bench or post game celebrations, didn’t appear he was dressed for the match. 

I heard earlier today that he tested positive for Covid pre-game yesterday but he has no symptoms. A buddy of mine heard the news from one of Cav’s family members. Nothing in the media yet which makes me wonder if it’s true or not. I hope it’s all b.s. but it’s something that might develop over the next few days.

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

At 1:17, with Adekugbe on the breakaway, looks like Herdman says a quick prayer.  

image.png.52b1f5b8c412e8c09e1c1daec7a29e2d.png

Naw, it wasn't a prayer. It was a question. He was asking himself where the hell do I put Sammy when Fonzie comes back? I got too many good players.

1 hour ago, shortofbrillant said:

Is that from the post gam press conference? The more I read about what he said, the more absurd it seems to get. It almost sounds like a guy trying to save his job and keep morale up within the squad

And he should be keeping up morale with his squad, however he can.  They are in a dogfight to qualify, they have to beat Honduras AND more to have a chance.  What he says to his squad is the other important half of this conversation we're not privy to hear. 

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

Heh, possibly.  Why the hell was Adekugbe up there in the 95th minute anyway?? 

Actually, in hindsight, I don't care.  😁

I was guessing it was when it looked like ugbo was gonna make a run but Sam couldn't get him the ball. I thought the same thing while watching. But Sam stuck with it, controlled it and got past the d, then took off on his own instead