WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did the US win the toss and we chose sides? Asking because Turner had low sun in his eyes 1st half. Too bad we didn't exploit that more, but I suspect our captain knew what he was doing. 

I assumed that the US chose the sides.  The sun was lower and more intense in the 2nd half and would have made things more difficult for Borjan.  Sun wasn't too bad in the 1st half. 

11 minutes ago, sstackho said:

I assumed that the US chose the sides.  The sun was lower and more intense in the 2nd half and would have made things more difficult for Borjan.  Sun wasn't too bad in the 1st half. 

I think Canada had side selection for sure:

• Take the wind early: go get the lead, and wind is likely to die down as you move into the evening
  • Borjan was playing in full shade for 2/3 of the second half. He had way less time dealing with the sun than Turner.

1 minute ago, hulkrogan said:

I think Canada had side selection for sure:

• Take the wind early: go get the lead, and wind is likely to die down as you move into the evening
  • Borjan was playing in full shade for 2/3 of the second half. He had way less time dealing with the sun than Turner.

That's a good point.  I was being self-centred.  The sun was more intense for us in 112/113, but might not have been for Borjan. 

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wish OS had those rights and was able to resell them.   I would love to see their investment in Canadian soccer payoff in a huge way.  

OneSoccer didn't even exist when FIFA sold those rights to Bell Media (CTV/TSN). 2026 will also be on CTV/TSN.

38 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

I mean the goalies clearance wasnt on target and became a 50/50 ball at midfield.  50/50 balls at midfield turn in to easy goals 100% of the time, every time.  Total gift.

And since Herdman's plan from the start was to sit back in a low block and absorb their pressure, recognising US superiority, it was a fluke we had all those players up there pressing. Such a lack of discipline leading to a gift.

What an epic day in The Hammer, it was almost surreal watching this all unfold in my home town, the Voyageurs did us proud! Thanks to all of you that stopped by to say hi and express best wishes for my son ( @JDub ) it was also great to meet some of you from all across the country! I must say for half capacity we sure brought the noise and you could tell it was inspiring to the team especially with time winding down and clinging to a one goal lead, every tackle and throw in won was cheered wildly by the crowd! Hamilton turned out to be a great choice for this match, there was no problem getting into the stadium if you arrived early as suggested and concessions were smooth! It was an intense match where we were completely bossed in the midfield in the 1st half but came out of it with a lead, the Fraser sub seemed to solidify things, I think Kaye really struggled, Vittoria will miss the ES match but that was a crucial card he took as the US were on their way! It was great to serenade the US team as they boarded their bus at the West side of THF after the match, @Club Linesman and I were amongst the crowd singing dos zero, btw the Fuck the USA chant was amazing and embraced by the whole stadium!

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Was Larin's goal one of the best/prettiest team goals scored by Canada?. 4 one  touch passes by 4 different players (Kamal, Oso, Larin, David) putting Larin in the box to score. That flick on by Oso with his back to Larin was sublime

I thought it was a magnificent goal but all the American commentators were claiming it was due to the Yanks being asleep at the wheel.

41 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Canada turned this into a street fight, and the USA (unwisely) obliged. 

I must admit I thought the referee let a lot of things go without the game ever actually getting out of hand, to our benefit. I like games like this, as a neutral.

He definitely let the players play, but we got the only two yellows in the match and there were some obvious ones for the states... the pull back on David to slow the counter, the dive by Aaronson, and a few others

39 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Please note this guy's videos are 100% sarcasm so don't go off in the replies.  He has a number of funny videos about Berhalter's sideline behaviour

I love our team's grit and attitude. You're not there to make friends. These guys know better than to respect the US and Mex players because of past results. Fuck them, we play our game. I know some people are worried that the extracurricular stuff could comeback to haunt us if we get cards but I think the players know just how far they can go.    

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And since Herdman's plan from the start was to sit back in a low block and absorb their pressure, recognising US superiority, it was a fluke we had all those players up there pressing. Such a lack of discipline leading to a gift.

If we really being honest here. Scoring on a header from 50 meters out and having that ball not touch any other player before it went into the back of the net is a pretty big fluke. 

3 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Refs generally let shoulder-to-shoulder contact go but there were legit hockey shoulder checks in this game that weren't called lol. And they went both ways.

There were a few times were on my end of the stadium I saw Osorio and Buchanan being shoved off the ball and as a result they weren't able to keep it in play on the flank or get by the defender. Normally those get called. 

31 minutes ago, gator said:

What an epic day in The Hammer, it was almost surreal watching this all unfold in my home town, the Voyageurs did us proud! Thanks to all of you that stopped by to say hi and express best wishes for my son ( @JDub ) it was also great to meet some of you from all across the country! I must say for half capacity we sure brought the noise and you could tell it was inspiring to the team especially with time winding down and clinging to a one goal lead, every tackle and throw in won was cheered wildly by the crowd! Hamilton turned out to be a great choice for this match, there was no problem getting into the stadium if you arrived early as suggested and concessions were smooth! It was an intense match where we were completely bossed in the midfield in the 1st half but came out of it with a lead, the Fraser sub seemed to solidify things, I think Kaye really struggled, Vittoria will miss the ES match but that was a crucial card he took as the US were on their way! It was great to serenade the US team as they boarded their bus at the West side of THF after the match, @Club Linesman and I were amongst the crowd singing dos zero, btw the Fuck the USA chant was amazing and embraced by the whole stadium!

Sorry for not getting a chance to drop by and say hi yesterday; just too crazy throughout the game.  Hope your son is improving.

56 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Refs generally let shoulder-to-shoulder contact go but there were legit hockey shoulder checks in this game that weren't called lol. And they went both ways.

Think the lads were a bit surprised at how much contact the ref was allowing.  Seemed to take forever for them to start giving it back.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Please note this guy's videos are 100% sarcasm so don't go off in the replies.  He has a number of funny videos about Berhalter's sideline behaviour

Not sure if this was covered already, but do we know which of our bench players was doing that leg kick warm up by the USA throw in? This level of shithousery I would think has to be Henry, right?