WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

People as far as ESPN FC panelists said that we would either lose this game or draw with the USA. But still to see the American panelists like Herculez Gomez or Casey Keller though made me laugh as a Canadian. Or seeing the Paramount Plus American panelists like Onyewu, Edu, or Clint Dempsey too I just can't get enough of proving people wrong.

19 minutes ago, weathermanfran said:

63cfhn.jpg

McKennie was the best midfielder of the match both teams, it is the first time I watch him live,  plus he has the " Diego Maradona haircut from 1995/96".  

USA seemed fitter than the Canadians, you wouldnt beat the in running, stamina etc.  Canada beat the USA with football brains, this is the way against a team of athletes, they run you play footie, 

1st goal was a Stella Artois, " a thing of beauty". The 1-2. Larín and David.  Crafted art!!!

23 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

People as far as ESPN FC panelists said that we would either lose this game or draw with the USA. But still to see the American panelists like Herculez Gomez or Casey Keller though made me laugh as a Canadian. Or seeing the Paramount Plus American panelists like Onyewu, Edu, or Clint Dempsey too I just can't get enough of proving people wrong.

They are under a contract, what would they say, mate?  

USA played better in first half, 2nd half was an even contest.  The bicycle kick it seemed Borjan had it covered to that near post.  But you never know.  

Edited by JAVIERF

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not that I'm complaining, but that stadium looked on tv at least 80% full, not half empty. Was there a policy decision changed late in the day or just "Whoops" when it came to distribution of tickets?

I was at the game with my son and we said the same thing. I estimated around 17,000, he thought closer to 20,000.  My best game day experience ever.

3 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Not to relive bad memories, but didn’t Canada actually win that match - but was eliminated on away goals?

But, yes, let’s celebrate this team!

It was an 0-2 loss to Guatemala in the first game of the 2006 WCQ Semi-final round. Guatemala was, on paper, the weakest team in the group besides us (group of death with CRC and HON), so the expectation was we absolutely needed to win to have a realistic shot of advancing. Carlos “El Pescadito” Ruiz scored twice and put us in a position that we never recovered from.

That was also the year Honduras became enemy number 1. We lead both games in that cycle 1-0. Honduras tied both, in the 88th and 92nd minute respectively. Pure rage. Not gonna lie, I don’t remember the exact circumstances of either goal, probably because I’ve blacked them out, but I do remember screaming at Benito Archundia through the TV.

Curious:were there any US fans in the stadium? 

Broadcast never showed any don't think. 

The ambience IMO was better than Edmonton from the broadcast pov. Very colorful, could hear the crowd noise. Suspect a lot more work on chanting could be done (drumming, overall coordination) but still looked and sounded good. 

The empty end zones had a charm,you could see houses and smokestacks. Also the wind was what held up the goal kick on our first. 

Did the US win the toss and we chose sides? Asking because Turner had low sun in his eyes 1st half. Too bad we didn't exploit that more, but I suspect our captain knew what he was doing. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The ambience IMO was better than Edmonton from the broadcast pov. Very colorful, could hear the crowd noise. Suspect a lot more work on chanting could be done (drumming, overall coordination) but still looked and sounded good. 

The empty end zones had a charm,you could see houses and smokestacks. Also the wind was what held up the goal kick on our first. 

Did the US win the toss and we chose sides? Asking because Turner had low sun in his eyes 1st half. Too bad we didn't exploit that more, but I suspect our captain knew what he was doing. 

There were a few in the upper deck in the corner across from  section 101

18 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

It was an 0-2 loss to Guatemala in the first game of the 2006 WCQ Semi-final round. Guatemala was, on paper, the weakest team in the group besides us (group of death with CRC and HON), so the expectation was we absolutely needed to win to have a realistic shot of advancing. Carlos “El Pescadito” Ruiz scored twice and put us in a position that we never recovered 

This was the first WCQ I attended. It was rough I tell you. My how things have changed.

1 minute ago, Markus said:

This was the first WCQ I attended. It was rough I tell you. My how things have changed.

The next one at Swangard against Costa Rica was even worse from what I remember. We were already mathematically out or nearly so, and got stomped by Costa Rica. It was dire. At least we went into the Guatemala game with hope. Has Vancouver even hosted a WCQ since? That was the last one I attended in person.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I was at the game with my son and we said the same thing. I estimated around 17,000, he thought closer to 20,000.  My best game day experience ever.

Yeah my cousins were at the game yesterday and they were there in their Canada colors and they even told me that despite bein at 50 percent capacity, it felt like 100 that's how great it was for them bein able to watch it live

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I saw very few US fans such that it wasn’t even 0.5%.

As for coordinated chanting, it was impossible.  The stadium doesn’t have a roof and with the wind and the wide open spaces, you could barely hear someone yelling at you a section away, and this was when a small number of us were inside doing setup in the morning when the stadium was empty.

The US remind me a lot of our circa 2008 team. On paper (looking at the clubs players play for) you would figure they would be doing so much better.

But honestly, do the Americans even have a good striker?

Also why are Canadian MLS players performing way better than American MLS players? We had more of those in our starting line up yesterday.

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

The US remind me a lot of our circa 2008 team. On paper (looking at the clubs players play for) you would figure they would be doing so much better.

Also why are Canadian MLS players performing way better than American MLS players? We had more of those in our starting line up yesterday.

I saw all sorts of Americans on Twitter and on Instagram makin excuses for their loss yesterday or sayin they want Berhalter fired

I’m still buzzin from last night, I haven’t taken my jersey off. I just want to repeat something similar I saw on Twitter about the OGs. The fans who’ve followed this team for decades, the ones who listened to an internet radio stream of a friendly vs Wales in 2004 or the ones who attended games at varsity or lived through the entire year of 2013. This one is for all of us, and for those who’ve been here before me and lived and died with every kick. It’s real.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Not to read too much into the card market but the hype around Pepi cards was hilarious.  People asking (and getting) thousands of dollars for a decent Pepi rookie.  For the same price you could buy a rare Ronaldo auto or an early Messi.  But because he was anointed as the next US soccer Jesus, people went absolutely crazy.   Now I suspect a lot of them are second guessing their investment.  

I don’t doubt that he will be a good player but the hype machine in the US can probably crush you with expectation.   

The US has had a major hole at the striker spot once Altidore was out of the mix...Pepi will be fine but he's 19 and agree the hype machine is probably wearing on him...part of it probably has to do as he's of Mexican heritage from a border town and chose the US over Mexico....going to Germany and maybe getting away from it all could be good...or he could get buried and it be bad

Canada got the early goal and totally outsmarted the US with tactics, the US had zero ideas in the final third and Canada's flexibility in shape is beautiful to watch...the biggest difference for me in a 50,000 foot view is Canada has an identity and plays into it 100% and thats a massive credit to Herdman and down to the players for the buy in...the US has zero identity right now...good individual talent but no real style of soccer that I can see...

For Canada a win in El Salvador just about wraps things up....for the US the best thing they can say is its a 3game window and there's a chance to get that bad taste out of their mouth with a win and then hope to put some distance between themselves and Panama-Mexico who play each other

Edited by mrstepp817

4 hours ago, footballfreak said:

It was an 0-2 loss to Guatemala in the first game of the 2006 WCQ Semi-final round. Guatemala was, on paper, the weakest team in the group besides us (group of death with CRC and HON), so the expectation was we absolutely needed to win to have a realistic shot of advancing. Carlos “El Pescadito” Ruiz scored twice and put us in a position that we never recovered from.

That was also the year Honduras became enemy number 1. We lead both games in that cycle 1-0. Honduras tied both, in the 88th and 92nd minute respectively. Pure rage. Not gonna lie, I don’t remember the exact circumstances of either goal, probably because I’ve blacked them out, but I do remember screaming at Benito Archundia through the TV.

------------onstad----------

Stalteri Pizzolito Watson Jazic

------de Guzman. imhoff-------

De Rosario   Peschisolido.  Simpson

--------Olivier Occéan-------++

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to read too much into the card market but the hype around Pepi cards was hilarious.  People asking (and getting) thousands of dollars for a decent Pepi rookie.  For the same price you could buy a rare Ronaldo auto or an early Messi.  But because he was anointed as the next US soccer Jesus, people went absolutely crazy.   Now I suspect a lot of them are second guessing their investment.  

I don’t doubt that he will be a good player but the hype machine in the US can probably crush you with expectation.   

The hype about Pepi may partly be warranted. Surely he's some kind of talent. But it's also a lot of wishcasting: US soccer would love nothing more than to have a Mexican-American superstar to tap into that market.

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m still buzzin from last night, I haven’t taken my jersey off. I just want to repeat something similar I saw on Twitter about the OGs. The fans who’ve followed this team for decades, the ones who listened to an internet radio stream of a friendly vs Wales in 2004 or the ones who attended games at varsity or lived through the entire year of 2013. This one is for all of us, and for those who’ve been here before me and lived and died with every kick. It’s real.

I slept in my Canada shirt last night! 

Then went out today, a rare day off, to have breakfast and get a haircut with it on. A pigeon shat on it coming back, right near the crest, and I took it as an omen of absolutely nothing. Or maybe a sign that clothing should be washed regularly.

I do find myself rather hyped and exhausted, not just because these 3-match windows for us in Europe are killers, watching matches in the wee hours, working by day. Next match is at 3am here.