WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

4 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Hopefully. Depends on what happens in Africa and Asia qualifications.

We're currently 38th. This win gets us another +16.72 ranking points, so now we're in 36th (unofficially).

Yeah that's true so we just turn our attention to both AFC and CAF and if we do that, then we know what to expect 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hmm, maybe I should look into that.  Never did a cruise so the novelty would be interesting. Plus it solves the accommodation issue.  

Navie question - would a ship dock there for a 2 week period during the group stage of would you just be planning to go to one or two games? 

My plan (realize i'm jinxing it a bit) is to do a 2 week cruise ship stay for the group stage. There's 2 cruise ships planned to be anchored in the harbor for at least the 2 weeks. There will be 2 cruise ships there:

https://www.qatar2022.qa/book/en/cruise-ship-hotels

2 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

My plan (realize i'm jinxing it a bit) is to do a 2 week cruise ship stay for the group stage. There's 2 cruise ships planned to be anchored in the harbor for at least the 2 weeks. There will be 2 cruise ships there:

https://www.qatar2022.qa/book/en/cruise-ship-hotels

Then that's actually smart rather than booking plane & hotel or booking train & hotel 

47 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

"It was one of Canada’s newcomers who set the tone, defender Kamal Miller leaving Christian Pulisic shuddering with a heavy foul four minutes in. The USA star’s abysmal delivery from the resultant free kick hinted that Miller’s hit had indeed landed."

Thanks. Listening to the highlight of the 2nd goal, have to say Wheeler was very good, exceptional. Enthusiasm, well paced in the commentary, then Terry with his "training" comment about the goal. That is a very high quality clip and the OS guys did very well.

56 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

McKennie and Dest were very good tonight.  But the US does not know how to break down teams in the final third. They should still qualify, but things look a lot shakier than you'd expect on game day 10

I sometimes wonder how they'd be doing if Herdman was their coach.  Gregg is very knowledgeable, but what they're missing is heart and the brotherhood.  That's the Herdman factor.

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

I think he did good  seemed a bit rusty.  But Kayé was tactically good,   only two turnovers from him.   Osorio improved second half and Fraser played 30 minutes in good form.

You truly don't know this game. I love MAK but he was horrible today...as in a liability.  I have no doubt he'll bounce back but today was not his day. What game were you watching?

Current updated live world ranking #36 (ie. unofficial) which includes today's win over USA. A win over El Salvador could get us to 33rd* (depending on other results around the world that I did not look into)

rank.png

elsa.png

The penalty kick results are obviously impossible. Just included by the website that just has every possibility

Edited by rydermike

Player ratings:

Borjan 8: Distribution was poor at times but made a huge save when called upon. Emotional leader of the team.

Johnston 7: USA though Pulisic vs Johnston was a matchup they could take advantage of. False.

Vitoria 7: Not his best game in a Canada shirt, but lots of good stuff on display. Yellow card allows him to miss the match where he's least needed.

Miller 7: Did well for a player out of season. Does his best work coming in to support another defender.

Adekugbe 8: Goal was the cherry on top of a poised performance.

Laryea 7: Better in the second half. With Osorio, really helped Johnston to shut down Pulisic.

Osorio 7.5: Was given very little time on the ball in the first half, but defended well. Grew into the game in the second.

Kaye 5: Not quite as poor as some here are saying. Did everything well except for his passing, but that's a big thing to get wrong.

Buchanan 6: USA keyed on him as our main creative threat. Full of running.

David 8: One of the best games I've seen from him in a Canada shirt. Great passing and lots of running

Larin 8: Took his chance, and defended well when called upon.

SUBS

Fraser 7

Hoilett 8

Ugbo 6

A couple of takeaways I'm not sure have been mentioned.  I made up my mind not to try and follow the forum and the game at the same time anymore.  I get to actually see the game now.  :)

Another dodgy stream for me, it's actually easier for me to get something from the US rather than my own country.  The stream I was watching showed the CBS Sports logo, I have CBS, I even have CBS Sports Network, but no game.  CBS Sports must provide the feed for Paramount +

Not sure if anyone has mentioned what a great finishing  strike Sam made.  Great run and all that but he put the puck in the ocean with a fantastic shot.

It's a good thing for the US that they are up in the standings.  Can you imagine their morale after losing this game and then having to play one of the poorest teams, that is practically out of it, in St Paul, where the temp might be worse than Edmonton.  That's gotta be depressing.  Sometimes you outsmart yourself.