WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

OK.  They are not that good.  Their 4-3-3 is bland.  They are not a powerhouse but they have some friends upstairs.  They should have lost in Jamaica where they were 2nd best after Antonio scored a screamer.  They base their game on fitness and speed, Canada has a bit more inner passing among lines a nd a bit more cohesion which is important.  They don't have Guardiola on the bench and DeBruyne is not their playmaker.  Actually, who is the US playmaker?/

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is interesting how the US chose to go north after Hamilton to freeze their butts off in Minnesota. If they get harsh conditions that could also backfire, extreme cold is mostly conducive to a scoreless draw. 

I have a freak theory: at first I was peeved that Herdman and Berhalter are buddies and have long chats, because I don't like collusion. But I now suspect Herdman might have filibustered Berhalter into chosing home venues that were not good for their game, frozen sites they'd have trouble playing in, that he sold him on the "Iceteca" theory of hosting qualifiers.

More cold north stuff: love telling folks here that Hamilton is a city to the south of La Coruña or Bilbao.

I think countries are entitled to choose the venue they prefer to mostly make the away team feel  uncomfortable and awkward.  Bolivia plays it at a peak of height, as Perú do in Lima and Ecuador, they chose Quito over sea level Guayaquil.  Mexico chooses the  Azteca too with altitude and heat, it is not a cheat..... they are strategies.  Chile now asked  Fifa to change Santiago for the stadium in the zone of the Calama desert at height and very dry and it was approved.  Don't understand the complaints.

2 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Assume this is to give the Americans something to think about. I would be shocked if he doesn't play tomorrow after all this. Must be a big boost internally for the team. 

USMNT twitter has been a hoot all day with the Weah stuff... I am sure they will continue to lose their minds over this lol. 

Could mean he is in Canada and is waiting for testing post flight to join the team. 

22 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

OK.  They are not that good.  Their 4-3-3 is bland.  They are not a powerhouse but they have some friends upstairs.  They should have lost in Jamaica where they were 2nd best after Antonio scored a screamer.  They base their game on fitness and speed, Canada has a bit more inner passing among lines a nd a bit more cohesion which is important.  They don't have Guardiola on the bench and DeBruyne is not their playmaker.  Actually, who is the US playmaker?/

The US has a lot of very solid players but no real game-breakers IMO. Pulisic would be their most dangerous player normally, and he could be tomorrow, but he's very out of form right now. They are "better" for the most part, but they dont have anyone like Davies or David, so the fear factor isnt there. They don't have any obviously weak links either though. 

I think Mckennie is one to watch for sure...also Aaronson plays with a ton of energy.

Im expecting this to be a low scoring and tight match. Wouldnt be surprised if we get a nil-nil draw

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The US has a lot of very solid players but no real game-breakers IMO. Pulisic would be their most dangerous player normally, and he could be tomorrow, but he's very out of form right now. They are "better" for the most part, but they dont have anyone like Davies or David, so the fear factor isnt there. They don't have any obviously weak links either though. 

I think Mckennie is one to watch for sure...also Aaronson plays with a ton of energy.

Im expecting this to be a low scoring and tight match. Wouldnt be surprised if we get a nil-nil draw

That Morris chap watched him in mls a few times, good player hard to catch, quick and strong,  he is a good player a bit unpredictable.  Aaronson runs and runs,  is a weasel very slippery, Pulisic is .  like stage fright.  Benched for good at Chelsea.  

You have  some tactic players: Hutchinson, Kayé, Eustaquio, Osorio, Hoilett if plays deep if you want, Piette.  I wouldn't typecast them as " runners " they are more like natural footballers.  

Mexico has Guardado, Herrera , Cordova at patches.  

46 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Our weak link is Berhalter’s system. It needs good midfield play or it falls apart. Adams and McKennie can probably play the full 90 of all 3 but Musah isn’t there yet. Acosta and Lletget are a clear step down. I think pretty highly of Luca de la Torre but most suspect GB doesn’t feel the same. There’s a lack of real ideas in the final 3rd. Often times due to GBs system midfielders/forwards drop back to help progress the ball. The problem becomes that then we don’t have players forward to attack. He was fired from a Swedish 2nd division team for a lack of offense. GBs press seems disconnected. Leads to too many counters.