WCQ: Canada vs USA - Sunday, Jan 30, 3pm EST / noon Pacific - Hamilton

Since this thread:
https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/78160-jan-30-canada-vs-us/
was almost exclusively about tickets, it's time to start the actual match thread! The other thread is still a good place for gameday logistics questions.

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 10
Canada vs USA
Sunday, January 30 2022
3pm EST / noon Pacific
Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton, Ontario
Online Broadcast:
ONESoccer , FuboTV
TV Broadcast: Sportsnet Pacific/West/Ontario/East & Telus Optik TV Channel 980 (EN) , RDS2 (FR)

Canada Squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers-squad-to-start-new-year/
Despite being listed in the squad, Eustáquio is still in Portugal. He may yet fly in in time.

Canadian players that are on a yellow card (no players are suspended) :
Adekugbe
Cavallini
Brym
Eustáquio
Fraser
Henry
Hutchinson
Kaye
Laryea
Piette
Vitória

USA Squad:
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2022/01/berhalter-calls-28-players-to-columbus-for-january-world-cup-qualifying-training-camp

American players that are on a yellow card (no players are suspended) :
DeAndre Yedlin
John Brooks
Tyler Adams
Theoson Siebatcheu
Zackary Steffen

The Referee: César Ramos 

The weather:  ~ -5°C and 30% chance of snow showers

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

USA in second yet Mexico's chances are slightly better than USA. I don't get it. Oh wait it must be because the USA still has one more game to play against Canada.

Mexico's remaining schedule is very favourable - 4 of its last 5 matches are at home and its only away match is Honduras. Wouldnt be surprised to see them crack 29+ points when its all said and done

Since we can only dress 23 players, assuming Eustaquio and Kaye are back in the lineup, who gets dropped from the 23? If injured, Piette is obvious, if he's not then who? I'm assuming there's some fifa rule that requires three keepers so Leutweiller can't be dropped from the 23.

I'm thinking it'd be Gutierrez and Kennedy, assuming they'll switch up the CBs. We have so few midfielder that none of them will be dropped apart from Piette if injured 

15 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Since we can only dress 23 players, assuming Eustaquio and Kaye are back in the lineup, who gets dropped from the 23? If injured, Piette is obvious, if he's not then who? I'm assuming there's some fifa rule that requires three keepers so Leutweiller can't be dropped from the 23.

I'm thinking it'd be Gutierrez and Kennedy, assuming they'll switch up the CBs. We have so few midfielder that none of them will be dropped apart from Piette if injured 

Possibly Atiiba or Vitoria. Save them for El Salvador 

The players that repeat for sure are Borjan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Tajon and David. As long as none of them have a knock and need a rest. 

I think Kennedy will also, as he's in season and not on a card. 

I hope we see Osorio, Kaye and Liam Miller in this one. 

Doubts: three-man back or 4? If four, Vitoria repeats or does Henry get a call?

Also: who accompanies David, if anyone, up high? 

I would not mind a line-up with more bodies in the midfield. I don't know the US well enough, but I'd put Tajon up against whichever back they think is more vulnerable. If Eustaquio can get in, he'd take one of the middle spots.

Millar-David-Tajon

Sam-Osorio-Kaye-Layrea

Kennedy-Vitoria-Johnston

Borjan

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The players that repeat for sure are Borjan, Johnston, Adekugbe, Tajon and David. As long as none of them have a knock and need a rest. 

With so many attacking options, I'd be surprised if both start after having played 90.  I think Tajon would be more likely of the two but could definitely see Larin paired with Ugbo/Cavallini.

I too really want Millar to get a start.  I think he deserves it.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Kennedy will also, as he's in season and not on a card. 

I hope we see Osorio, Kaye and Liam Miller in this one. 

Doubts: three-man back or 4? If four, Vitoria repeats or does Henry get a call?

Also: who accompanies David, if anyone, up high? 

I would not mind a line-up with more bodies in the midfield. I don't know the US well enough, but I'd put Tajon up against whichever back they think is more vulnerable. If Eustaquio can get in, he'd take one of the middle spots.

Millar-David-Tajon

Sam-Osorio-Kaye-Layrea

Kennedy-Vitoria-Johnston

Borjan

I don't see us playing a 3-4-3 against the USA. Would leave us too susceptible. 
I see us deploying a 4-3-3, or maybe the revolving 3-5-2 but still, this will be a midfield game. 

----------------------David------------------------

Millar---------------------------------------Buchanan

-------Kaye------------Osorio--------Eustaqiuo-----

Adekugbe----Kennedy--------(Johnston lol) ----Laryea

-----------------------Borjan--------------------------

- I'm praying Staq is available for this game.
- I don't think Vitoria will be suited for this game for several reasons. The speed of their attackers and midfield, and pitch attributing to that. Reason why I put Johnston unrealistically there....but what if lol. Henry could start only to do what he did to Lozano to do to Pepi and come right off. 

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

With so many attacking options, I'd be surprised if both start after having played 90.  I think Tajon would be more likely of the two but could definitely see Larin paired with Ugbo/Cavallini.

I too really want Millar to get a start.  I think he deserves it.

I think Millar will start. 
No way Cavallini pairs with Larin to start...his most likely game to start would be El Salvador.

My guess: Borjan, Laryea, Johnston, Henry, Miller, Adekugbe, Kaye, Osorio, Eustaquio, Millar, Larin 

I have no idea if Henry is anything close to match fit...I think we play 3-5-2/3-4-3 though either way.

e: the other somewhat creative move I could see is Laryea at LWB and Buchanan at RWB if Adekugbe can't go two in a row.

Edited by theaub

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I'm surprised we flew back to Hamilton last night....guess they want to get the hell out of Honduras

Nah - get the trip over with, get back home and avoid the risk of trouble, bad food, etc.  I would far rather one late night flight and then being back home than waking up in another country this morning still having to trek to Canada.  

Classic smash and grab.  

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nah - get the trip over with, get back home and avoid the risk of trouble, bad food, etc.  I would far rather one late night flight and then being back home than waking up in another country this morning still having to trek to Canada.  

Classic smash and grab.  

The only worry is if their sleep patterns get too fucked up.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Seeing complaints on Twitter from American fans that this game is going up against the NFL.

All I have to say is fuck them.

By the way the game time is genius by Herdman and his staff. It allows them to fly into Florida after the game and land at a reasonable time.

Selfishly I'd love for the game not to conflict with gridiron football...but the game has to be in the afternoon IMO you gotta try and play it in the warmest time of day on the weekend