Deandre Kerr

JamesF

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Per the apps, he was the second highest rated player in the game after Kerr which is insane when you’re a striker who didn’t score and your team lost by 7 goals, all which occurred while you were on the pitch. 

0G/0A

77% passing

8/15 dribbles 

21/37 ground duels won 

8.6 FOTMOB score

I don’t think we’ll ever see a stat line like that again. Makes zero sense. He definitely could play in the CPL tomorrow. 

Didn't see the game but maybe convert him to a DM? 

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Shway said:

I think he's been overlooked if Afria is getting called over him. He's younger and has been a professional longer.

I’d assume this is because positional afrifra is called up as a winger? 

On 9/1/2024 at 4:59 AM, Shway said:

I think he's been overlooked if Afria is getting called over him. He's younger and has been a professional longer.

It's a reasonable point. With guys like Saliba getting called, you start to wonder when it will be time for Kerr, Vilsaint, etc. 

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Kerr was actually having a pretty bad season in MLS until this goal basically.

Don't let a bunch of goals against League 1 teams in the Voyageurs Cup mask that.

Definitely don't want to overvalue those goals, I agree. But we'll see. Kerr does seem to be composed in front of goal, and as @Shway said, is still young. Maybe we need some lesser friendlies (preferably at home) to call a B squad in and see how these younger players do. 

9 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Definitely don't want to overvalue those goals, I agree. But we'll see. Kerr does seem to be composed in front of goal, and as @Shway said, is still young. Maybe we need some lesser friendlies (preferably at home) to call a B squad in and see how these younger players do. 

I realize he doesn't start all the time, but 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 MLS games doesn't scream CANMNT call up to me. Especially considering the current striker competition 

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

I realize he doesn't start all the time, but 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 MLS games doesn't scream CANMNT call up to me. Especially considering the current striker competition 

Neither does three goals in 38 league games for Larin, but he is our second-best striker in terms of depth, apparently. Granted, that's in LaLiga, but he has eight years on Kerr. 

14 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Neither does three goals in 38 league games for Larin, but he is our second-best striker in terms of depth, apparently. Granted, that's in LaLiga, but he has eight years on Kerr. 

He is playing in La Liga though. It is really not an apt comparison.

Larin gets called up because of his experience. He earned the right to be called even when he is struggling at the club level.

You need to be comparing Kerr to guys like Ugbo, Bair, JRR, Tani, etc. I wouldn't call him ahead of any of those guys.

Edited by narduch

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

You need to be comparing Kerr to guys like Ugbo, Bair, JRR, Tani, etc. I wouldn't call him ahead of any of those guys.

It's interesting, because as much as these guys are talented, they have all been pretty quiet of late.

Like I said, a friendly against a small Central American or Caribbean team could be good experience for our younger guys. This way, it would be understood as a B squad and not so much seen as them being called over more senior players. 

At this point for the CMNT someone should at a minimum be a bona fide starter and get 80% of the minutes. Kerr is not there and may never get there. JRR in TO, same thing.  Hopefully it goes better in Montreal. Choinière was deserving for the past 2 years. Tami was flying this year so you get him early.  Saliba you grab early as he is getting significant minutes and may be a Kone.  Waterman, Hebert, McNaighton no one stands out so keep grabbing Miller. Eventually I hope we are calling MLS allstars only for the most part. The league is improving, the roster high end spots are increasing so if we have 7 European top players and 4 MLS all 11 our team would be even tougher to beat in Concacaf and compete with top 20 sides. Glory days ahead!

Moreover , Larin was a top scorer in MLS when he played there , can’t say the same about Kerr. It is a stronger league now compared to when Larin played in it , but Kerr needs to start scoring at close to what Larin did in this league to be in the discussion for a call up .

11 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

100% agree with this.

Kerr is barely holding on to his MLS position. Has been left on the bench multiple times this year. Afrifa has carved out a position for himself with KC.

Umm... Nothing against Afrifa, but 13 of his 18 appearances have been from the bench. 

I think the larger point is we need to do a more thorough personnel analysis. Integrating younger players into a broader range of friendlies will help with that, give more players international experience, increase our depth and better prepare us for 2026. Good for Afrifa and Saliba on getting called. I would like to see more of this. 

25 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Moreover , Larin was a top scorer in MLS when he played there , can’t say the same about Kerr. It is a stronger league now compared to when Larin played in it , but Kerr needs to start scoring at close to what Larin did in this league to be in the discussion for a call up .

This is a strong point when comparing the two players. Larin was ahead at the same age, but Kerr may not be far off. And Larin has become a No. 2 striker for us, so I wouldn't underestimate some of these younger MLS guys in our pool. 

David and Larin both had the benefit of “establishing” themselves for Canada by padding stats against minnows. Larin in particular was never a prolific scorer for Canada and was dropped from the national team in October 2019. Larins run from March 2021 to March 2022 was insane and he missed a full window in October and half the gold cup. This of course all coincided with his progression at club level.