WCQ: Honduras vs Canada - Thursday, Jan 27, 8pm EST / 5pm Pacific - San Pedro Sula, Honduras

LeoH037

Good pre game analysis 

One point I found particularly interesting was Hondurans letting in late goals. The trend has been for them to concede late and then crumble. He rightly points out that Honduras won’t give anything away and this is why they can be a banana skin for us. Don’t put stock in their placement in the table, because these guys are always tough, but expect them to let in a late goal as they tire mentally and fail to match our desire. As usual, it will be a case of getting the first goal. 

Some articles on the Honduran side (was going to edit the google translate but there's some good stuff in there)

-----------------------

The leader of the Concacaf qualifier, Canada, will play an important card in Honduras on the way to the World Cup in Qatar 2022.

The Canadians are the pleasant surprise of the qualifying process in the region and thus seek their second qualification for a World Cup, this after the first in Mexico 1986.

For that, the Maple Leaf team has to add a series of points in this triple FIFA date to tie the ticket to Qatar 2022. It will have two outings in Central America. The schedule is tight and complicated because first he will visit the Honduran Olympic to return to Canada and receive the United States and will close the job on this day in the mythical Cuscatlán in El Salvador. 

However, Canada will come into these games somewhat beaten and suffering from two low lanes. John Herdman will be without his top star, Bayern Munich volleyball player Alphonso Davies, for the three games.

The young Canadian suffers from a “slight inflammation of the heart muscle” (myocarditis), probably due to Covid-19, and in principle he will be out for several weeks, Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann revealed a few days ago.

Doctors do not have scientific certainty about the origin of this pathology of the 21-year-old left side, "but the probability that it comes from his covid is great," Nagelsmann acknowledged. “He will be absent for an undetermined time. It's not that dramatic, but it needs to heal, and that will take some time”, added the coach of the Bavarian team, who incidentally confirmed the absence of the player with the representation of Canada.

And finally there is the case of midfielder Stephen Eustáquio who will not be on January 27 against Honduras since he is infected with Covid-19. It is worth mentioning that the former Cruz Azul of Mexico has just completed his signing for Porto FC from Pacos de Ferreira.

-------------------

The delegation of Honduran soccer players abroad has begun to arrive in the country and they are under the command of Hernán "Bolillo" Gómez to face the duel against Canada.

The Montreal Impact striker, Romell Quioto, has already arrived in the country and upon his arrival he made clear his commitment to be able to wear the Bicolor shirt. "The expectations are the same, wanting to get good results, give ourselves, our family and the people who have always supported us despite how difficult the situation is" that joy.

When consulting him about the message to the population. "It is difficult to motivate the public at this time, but we have always given our best, that the team wins, but football is like that and sometimes things don't work out".

And he adds: “The fans don't believe us, but we're going to fight until the end”.

The "Romantic" took advantage of the moment to ratify his support for the calls for the Honduran National Team. “I have done it before and I will do it until the last day that I have to come to the National Team, it is a pride to represent my country, I do not care about the hours of travel, how difficult the situation is and the coach that is there makes me the call, I will be here”.

And about the loss of Alphonso Davies. "It's a very important piece for them, but we don't have to focus on that, it's time to think about ourselves and get good results."

Romell Quioto also recognized the work of the new coach. “Professor Hernán has given us a good game idea, but there have been mistakes. Hopefully we start to win, which is what we all want”.

But it is very clear that the classification panorama is complex. "It's difficult, but the first thing we have to think about is winning and then see what happens."

---------------------

The Honduran National Team is preparing to face the FIFA triple date and its first challenge is against Canada, where the soccer players consider the last step to continue dreaming of Qatar 2022.

The captain of the Bicolor, Maynor Figueroa, was one of the players to join the concentration this day and made clear his joy at being considered on this list. “Being in the National Team is always a reason for joy and commitment, we have to close the tie well, we are aware of the position we are in, since things have not gone well for us. Today we are the ones who have to move this forward and we have to catch up and give it all.”

About the results they have had. “It's not the best, but we are aware that the only way to bring our fans is to win; so the only thing left is to continue giving it with that commitment and that in these matches the results can be given to us”.

Regarding the loss of Alphonso Davies, one of Canada's figures for this match against Honduras. "He's a great player, but let's remember that Canada has a great team and anyone who touches will want to give their best."

After losing his contract with the Houston Dynamo, the catracho defender was left without a club and still does not have a certain destiny. "There is still nothing defined, it will happen at the time, while we are going to concentrate one hundred with the National Team".

And he added: “We are with that possibility that it occurs, more than that it would be lying if I say that it is here. We have to wait, that's all I can say."

Maynor is clear that "Bolillo" Gómez has made clear the message that the club must have to continue being taken into account in the National Team.

“The coach has already let me know that, anyway, I am under a work plan. If it were the case of being in an MLS team, the tournament has not yet started and the preseason started a week ago.

On the options of signing for Victoria or Olimpia. “They have always linked me with Olimpia every time I am out of contract. Of course, I am very grateful to both clubs; the Victoria that I trained and Olimpia where I consolidated and the opportunity to leave.

And he closed by making it clear that: "Beyond any decision, there are family matters that must be decided."

Many fans have asked that the captain should step aside and not continue in the National Team, but his message is clear and without controversy.

"The only thing I have are words of thanks for those who support me, I don't have any kind of words for what they ask for my departure." And he explains that his presence is due to the support of the technician. "If I'm here it's because of that, he continues to trust, he continues to support me. If I'm back it's because of that situation."

Also consider that nothing is lost. “The possibilities are there, but everything depends on now, there is no longer any margin for error and we have to close the tie with dignity”.

The idea of the "Bolillo" continues to be learned. "We as professionals try to take the idea as quickly as possible and although it is true, the results have not been given, but the idea is being taken."

I usually don’t equate Honduras and honesty, but this is the most honest statement on his myocarditis that I have seen.

1 hour ago, theaub said:

The young Canadian suffers from a “slight inflammation of the heart muscle” (myocarditis), probably due to Covid-19, and in principle he will be out for several weeks, Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann revealed a few days ago.

Doctors do not have scientific certainty about the origin of this pathology of the 21-year-old left side, "but the probability that it comes from his covid is great," Nagelsmann acknowledged. “He will be absent for an undetermined time. It's not that dramatic, but it needs to heal, and that will take some time”, added the coach of the Bavarian team, who incidentally confirmed the absence of the player with the representation of Canada.

One thing I like to do is follow the betting odds near opening and see how they change closer towards game time. I remember with Mexico when the lines first opened Mexico was favoured to win and then it flipped and turned in favour of Canada.  

Right now the current odds for Honduras vs Canada is: Honduras +260, Draw +220, Canada +110  

Canada is favoured to win at the moment.

49 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

One thing I like to do is follow the betting odds near opening and see how they change closer towards game time. I remember with Mexico when the lines first opened Mexico was favoured to win and then it flipped and turned in favour of Canada.  

Right now the current odds for Honduras vs Canada is: Honduras +260, Draw +220, Canada +110  

Canada is favoured to win at the moment.

i think that makes sense given results so far, plus team news.  only a handful of sites had odds prior to today, but the sites that did went from 1.91 to 2.1 on the Davies news.  so from odds on to odds against

as a comparison, the US went from 1.4 to 1.75 when they played in Honduras, and that move came after the 1-1 draw in nashville. so possibly some doubts about the squad after that draw, but we know what happened next...  

https://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/world/world-cup-2022/honduras-usa/lxPiGge1/

we're given a lower shot of winning than the US, so there's still a perception that we are below the US and Mex in terms of ability.

however... books are giving this squad a ton more respect than prior national teams.  we were massive underdogs in previous road trips...

1220139462_ScreenShot2022-01-24at9_06_34PM.png.1503d00c432108a1c503e3ed4053723d.png

we went from 6.85 to just about even money

8 hours ago, theaub said:

Some articles on the Honduran side (was going to edit the google translate but there's some good stuff in there)

-----------------------

The leader of the Concacaf qualifier, Canada, will play an important card in Honduras on the way to the World Cup in Qatar 2022.

The Canadians are the pleasant surprise of the qualifying process in the region and thus seek their second qualification for a World Cup, this after the first in Mexico 1986.

For that, the Maple Leaf team has to add a series of points in this triple FIFA date to tie the ticket to Qatar 2022. It will have two outings in Central America. The schedule is tight and complicated because first he will visit the Honduran Olympic to return to Canada and receive the United States and will close the job on this day in the mythical Cuscatlán in El Salvador. 

However, Canada will come into these games somewhat beaten and suffering from two low lanes. John Herdman will be without his top star, Bayern Munich volleyball player Alphonso Davies, for the three games.

And finally there is the case of midfielder Stephen Eustáquio who will not be on January 27 against Honduras since he is infected with Covid-19. It is worth mentioning that the former Cruz Azul of Mexico has just completed his signing for Porto FC from Pacos de Ferreira.

-------------------

The delegation of Honduran soccer players abroad has begun to arrive in the country and they are under the command of Hernán "Bolillo" Gómez to face the duel against Canada.

The Montreal Impact striker, Romell Quioto, has already arrived in the country and upon his arrival he made clear his commitment to be able to wear the Bicolor shirt. "The expectations are the same, wanting to get good results, give ourselves, our family and the people who have always supported us despite how difficult the situation is" that joy.

When consulting him about the message to the population. "It is difficult to motivate the public at this time, but we have always given our best, that the team wins, but football is like that and sometimes things don't work out".

And he adds: “The fans don't believe us, but we're going to fight until the end”.

The "Romantic" took advantage of the moment to ratify his support for the calls for the Honduran National Team. “I have done it before and I will do it until the last day that I have to come to the National Team, it is a pride to represent my country, I do not care about the hours of travel, how difficult the situation is and the coach that is there makes me the call, I will be here”.

And about the loss of Alphonso Davies. "It's a very important piece for them, but we don't have to focus on that, it's time to think about ourselves and get good results."

Romell Quioto also recognized the work of the new coach. “Professor Hernán has given us a good game idea, but there have been mistakes. Hopefully we start to win, which is what we all want”.

But it is very clear that the classification panorama is complex. "It's difficult, but the first thing we have to think about is winning and then see what happens."

---------------------

The Honduran National Team is preparing to face the FIFA triple date and its first challenge is against Canada, where the soccer players consider the last step to continue dreaming of Qatar 2022.

The captain of the Bicolor, Maynor Figueroa, was one of the players to join the concentration this day and made clear his joy at being considered on this list. “Being in the National Team is always a reason for joy and commitment, we have to close the tie well, we are aware of the position we are in, since things have not gone well for us. Today we are the ones who have to move this forward and we have to catch up and give it all.”

About the results they have had. “It's not the best, but we are aware that the only way to bring our fans is to win; so the only thing left is to continue giving it with that commitment and that in these matches the results can be given to us”.

Regarding the loss of Alphonso Davies, one of Canada's figures for this match against Honduras. "He's a great player, but let's remember that Canada has a great team and anyone who touches will want to give their best."

After losing his contract with the Houston Dynamo, the catracho defender was left without a club and still does not have a certain destiny. "There is still nothing defined, it will happen at the time, while we are going to concentrate one hundred with the National Team".

And he added: “We are with that possibility that it occurs, more than that it would be lying if I say that it is here. We have to wait, that's all I can say."

Maynor is clear that "Bolillo" Gómez has made clear the message that the club must have to continue being taken into account in the National Team.

“The coach has already let me know that, anyway, I am under a work plan. If it were the case of being in an MLS team, the tournament has not yet started and the preseason started a week ago.

On the options of signing for Victoria or Olimpia. “They have always linked me with Olimpia every time I am out of contract. Of course, I am very grateful to both clubs; the Victoria that I trained and Olimpia where I consolidated and the opportunity to leave.

And he closed by making it clear that: "Beyond any decision, there are family matters that must be decided."

Many fans have asked that the captain should step aside and not continue in the National Team, but his message is clear and without controversy.

"The only thing I have are words of thanks for those who support me, I don't have any kind of words for what they ask for my departure." And he explains that his presence is due to the support of the technician. "If I'm here it's because of that, he continues to trust, he continues to support me. If I'm back it's because of that situation."

Also consider that nothing is lost. “The possibilities are there, but everything depends on now, there is no longer any margin for error and we have to close the tie with dignity”.

The idea of the "Bolillo" continues to be learned. "We as professionals try to take the idea as quickly as possible and although it is true, the results have not been given, but the idea is being taken."

link to the original article? I'm fully fluent in Spanish and would rather read that.

17 hours ago, theaub said:

How come CnowFlake Montreal never gets any hate on this board for employing...Quioto!! 😛 

I just looked these up. If I'm not mistaken, these are the countries we beat in their home for all the World Cups in the 2000's. It's easy to forget that we have only won 1 proper away game (non-neutral site) in this cycle so far!

Haiti

Dominica

Cuba
St. Lucia
Puerto Rico

St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Guatemala

Cuba

Edited by Kent

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

I just looked these up. If I'm not mistaken, these are the countries we beat in their home for all the World Cup's in the 2000's. It's easy to forget that we have only won 1 proper away game (non-neutral site) in this cycle so far!

Haiti

True but to contextualize, our true away games have been Haiti, Jamaica, USA, and Mexico. The result in Jamaica was obviously poor but we certainly can't complain about the other two.