WCQ: Honduras vs Canada - Thursday, Jan 27, 8pm EST / 5pm Pacific - San Pedro Sula, Honduras

LeoH037

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Don't forget fake goalie injuries

It’s about goddamn time.  I smile every single time I think about some Honduran footy fan screaming at his TV when Borjan gets another cramp.   That’s karma you son of a bitch.  How do you like them apples?!? 

Edited by dyslexic nam

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

No way.  First of all, David, Borjan, Larin and Buchanan would all be the best players on that team.  Let alone Davies and Eustaquio when they are in form.  

Then there is just the overall squad depth of this program.  This program is legitimately 30+ players deep and Canada has never had squad depth like this ever.

We took 4 points off of Mexico this WCQ cycle.  That’s definitely not happened.

There has never been a time where Canada legitimately could be the best team in CONCACAF.  There has never been a time where Canada has arguably the top 2 players in CONCACAF.  This is the all time best squad for Canada.

At the time Canada had the two best of Concacaf Radzinski and Julian De Juzman and your #10Daniel Imhoff was a very important bundesliga player with a proven record in Germany and La Suisse

I'm happy we won, but I'm going to rain on our parade a bit here.  With our quality, I didn't think we should be on the back foot for the entire last third of the game.  I think our players got a bit rattled and just started playing defensively, without a thought to managing the game.  We kept a clean sheet, but they came so close to scoring multiple times.  I think we were lucky to get that scoreline.  We need to work on our composure when the momentum swings away from us.

1 minute ago, rkomar said:

I'm happy we won, but I'm going to rain on our parade a bit here.  With our quality, I didn't think we should be on the back foot for the entire last third of the game.  I think our players got a bit rattled and just started playing defensively, without a thought to managing the game.  We kept a clean sheet, but they came so close to scoring multiple times.  I think we were lucky to get that scoreline.  We need to work on our composure when the momentum swings away from us.

There was hardly a Honduran challenge that touched the ball...and the refs let them away with it all game.   Right or wrong it effected us.  

6 minutes ago, B_Leaf said:

The David goal tonight was unreal...3 magical touches at top speed.

And a run timed to perfection.  It really is a footballers bit of craft.  Not sure the casual will appreciate all that happened to make it happen but still, that's a gooder. 

Edited by Cheeta

That daylight between us and 4th place sure is sweet.  In the last window, Panama, the US and Mexico each play the other two teams.  There will be lots of crucial points dropped someone.   

I know we still have to play the US and Panama but if we can get another 3 points from ES we are in such good shape.   I have had to many beer to do the math but I am curious about the threshold for assured qualification given the dynamics of the final window among the 3 other teams vying for the top 3.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That daylight between us and 4th place sure is sweet.  In the last window, Panama, the US and Mexico each play the other two teams.  There will be lots of crucial points dropped someone.   

I know we still have to play the US and Panama but if we can get another 3 points from ES we are in such good shape.   I have had to many beer to do the math but I am curious about the threshold for assured qualification given the dynamics of the final window among the 3 other teams vying for the top 3.  

Both results were Yuge for us tonight.

12 minutes ago, rydermike said:

And to think Concacaf wanted to introduce a forumula where Canada and Panama would be in the groups competing for at best the intercontinental playoff. The fact both are in the top four shows what a stupid format that was

Also the fact that Honduras is dead last but were gifted a spot in the old hex

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, the reality is that you can only do it if you are leading and wanting to kill the clock. The fact that we are even in a position to do it these days is the crucial difference.  

We have some solid leadership on this team.