WCQ: Honduras vs Canada - Thursday, Jan 27, 8pm EST / 5pm Pacific - San Pedro Sula, Honduras

LeoH037

4 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I'm not superstitious so I don't care but I do think it's important to visually remind ourselves how far along we've come since then. And I doubt any of the OG guys are looking at this thread as we speak.  

But I'll happily remove it if people want me to. Sorry for the PTSD trigger.

All good.  For me it is like reminiscing about being spanked just so you can revel in the feeling of your unsmacked ass.  

But ultimately I have no intention of watching it so leaving it up doesn’t really do me any harm.  

30 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Then why did they play? All the team could not of been ill. Even if he played non regular starters how much worse would the result have been?

Indeed, i was going to respond to the same post but I didn't want to belabor the point.  I was going to say that if you look at the two substitutions that Hart made in that game; the two who got subbed out were not the players who stood out for me in negative sense in those highlights.  Its as if he was saying:  i will sub out and spare the embarrassment, only for those guys who showed up. 

Edited by Free kick

Honduras hasn't won in 8 Octagonal matches. They've given up 3 goals in the final 15 minutes of a home match on 2 different occasions (first against the US, then against Panama).

This is the new Canada. I know the scars of the past are still there, but starting Thursday, let's chart a new history in Central America. It's time.

9 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Honduras hasn't won in 8 Octagonal matches. They've given up 3 goals in the final 15 minutes of a home match on 2 different occasions (first against the US, then against Panama).

This is the new Canada. I know the scars of the past are still there, but starting Thursday, let's chart a new history in Central America. It's time.

excited pumped up GIF by WWE

4 hours ago, Neil R. said:

Amen The past is the past. lets move forward 

26 minutes ago, Califax said:

Be interesting to see what happens if there’s a coup. 

other than the coup, of course. 

imagine if Canada wins, and that sets off the coup.  An impressive Honduras triumph, on the other hand, unites the country and begins a long period of peace and reconciliation between the political rivals.  As a sign of gratitude, concacaf and fenafuth donate the 3 points to Canada as a one-time extraordinary goodwill gesture...thus securing a berth at qatar

seriously though, if anything, surely concacaf is planning an alternate neutral venue, like costa rica or florida?  they did that for some concacaf league matches that forge played i think in, where the host country had some protests?  then again, this is concacaf...

colombia held some qualifiers last year despite massive protests.  it wasn't a good scene

Edited by cornerkick

Strangely enough, there was a coup in Honduras right before the final round of matches in the 2009 hex.  New regime tried to leverage the Honduran qualification days later.  There really should be a 30 for 30 film about that Honduran campaign.  Wilson Palacios played the whole campaign with his brother kidnapped for ransom, not knowing if he was alive or not.  There was the coup, then the wild final day with allegedly fixed match in El Salvador and the Bornstein goal in Washington.  The whole thing was mental.

We still had to play in Haiti despite rampant violence in the streets and the previous visiting team being held hostage in their bus. Not holding out any hope that CONCACAF will make alternate plans. They don’t want to risk offending a member nation and seeming like they only represent Can-Mex-USA, which at some level is fair. Then again they should have player and staff safety as the number one priority.