VAR in the remaining WC qualifiers

cornerkick

Does anyone know if the equipment has been installed at Tim Hortons field for this? 

There's an article on diaz.hn that says Mediapro (parent co of Onesoccer) has been awarded the contract to roll it out at venues.

https://www-diez-hn.translate.goog/eliminatoriasqatar2022/llega-el-var-a-honduras-en-los-juegos-eliminatorios-de-local-de-la-seleccion-nacional-se-estrena-el-videoarbitraje-en-concacaf-FH4595070?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"

Using VAR is not cheap. For its use, each country must invest up to 5 million dollars if it wants to acquire the team, since only the leagues that are economically strong can use it. In Concacaf, only Mexico, the United States and Canada have implemented it in their leagues. Central America is still far from having access.

In the case of qualifying matches where it will be used. In the Olympic stadium it will be installed by the MediaPRO company, a multinational company that owns the television rights for the Concacaf matches and will be the one that will provide the equipment for these qualifying duels on January 27 and 30 in San Pedro Sula."

I feel like the investment requirements for implementing VAR are a bit overblown. I follow AFC qualifiers and I've noticed that Lebanon, a country with very poor infrastructure, much worse than Central American countries, was able to have VAR in their home WCQ matches. There's no way they invested $5 million into VAR. I feel like there are likely shortcuts poorer countries can take to temporarily install a video replay system that would not cost as much but still satisfy FIFA requirements. After all, VAR is in its essence just an additional monitor, and an additional ref in a separate control room.

Edited by Ally McCoist

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

I feel like the investment requirements for implementing VAR are a bit overblown. I follow AFC qualifiers and I've noticed that Lebanon, a country with very poor infrastructure, much worse than Central American countries, was able to have VAR in their home WCQ matches. There's no way they invested $5 million into VAR. I feel like there are likely shortcuts poorer countries can take to temporarily install a video replay system that would not cost as much but still satisfy FIFA requirements. After all, VAR is in its essence just an additional monitor, and an additional ref in a separate control room.

For VAR, acc FIFA, you need minimum 8 cameras, slo mo options, one high speed camera. The offside lines are actually not mandatory. Then the cabin and trained team. BTW it's not an additional ref, it's three. 

Some material can be installed game by game, so there you're right, you don't need permanent installation. 

We've seen MLS refs dominating in Concacaf VAR rooms, when their use of VAR is possibly the most inept I've seen.