Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Make no mistake, that was a dirty play done in a very clever way. Nothing accidental about it. 

This guy played the game.  He recognized clever Lukas.  

It was as nasty as clever ,  old school football . 

That's why Messi got pissed off ,  because this is old school football ,  amateur league 

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm just glad you see the humour in it.  I feel sadness and frustration that we still throw Vitoria's name around like he's still an option and solution while not having watched one of his club matches ever.  All the guys you mention play on better teams with fewer goals allowed.

The ringer?  Guess who Fotmob has as the lowest rated player on Chaves?  None other than our Vitoria.  Complete opposite to MacNaugton who is playing great and the highest rated on Nashville, who is one of the best defensive teams in MLS.  It's mind boggling that people still think we're in 2020 and he's our best option without having watched him lately.

image.thumb.png.fcc5651c1e299b2d09c5368cc4c8ff47.png

It's an interesting time.  Our attacking players almost to a man are grabbing headlines and we are rightly still worried about our centre backs (and central midfield for me).

Part of it is position, attackers get noticed for good things and most often defenders for mistakes. 

Vitoria gets still mentioned because we have see a lot of those who would replace him make mistakes.  

So does he.  But he has also provided height and leadership in our best moments in recent memory.

But again the only way you blood people and actually see who can move beyond their mistakes is watch them play.  We haven't played enough.

7 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Don't see what Lukas could have done - Messi lunged at him mid follow through. 

You can't detect old school football, buddy 

Clever move from Lukas ,  an Argentinian Uruguayan follow up nasty  kick step over over the other fella's lower bone and ankle 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's a naive and disingenuous post, sorry.

It was a legit follow through with no player near, but avoidable given the circumstances. 

We'll never get anywhere in Canada if keep on applying hockey rules to our way of understanding football.

Which other sport or aspect of Argentinian culture are you going to blame for the two obviously worse cheap shots that Shaffelburg was on the receiving end of last night? 

2 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Which other sport or aspect of Argentinian culture are you going to blame for the two obviously worse cheap shots that Shaffelburg was on the receiving end of last night? 

Old school man,  they figured out the Kid Shaffelburg is like Demien Duff an asset unpredictable,   so as Liam Brady used to say in Ireland TV,  They gave Shaffelburg " a good one " and got away,   

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The press is full of articles on the challenge. I think my opinion is majority, I'm not the freak here.

Again, people are too invested in Messi. It is what happens when two players contest a fifty-fifty ball. If there is any recklessness or intent, it is shared equally. Could a foul be called? Sure, no big deal, move. Same with no call. It is just small minded Messi fan boys making a mountain out of a molehill. 

And for the record, I am a Messi fan. 

4 hours ago, kacbru said:

Again, people are too invested in Messi. It is what happens when two players contest a fifty-fifty ball. If there is any recklessness or intent, it is shared equally. Could a foul be called? Sure, no big deal, move. Same with no call. It is just small minded Messi fan boys making a mountain out of a molehill. 

And for the record, I am a Messi fan. 

I am also a fan -  who wouldn't be - but this seems relevent.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well then stop quoting me and citing me, if you come after me like a bunch of cowards I'll defend my position, don't be professional losers and post like men.

Try growing a set.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well then stop quoting me and citing me, if you come after me like a bunch of cowards I'll defend my position, don't be professional losers and post 

Edited by longlugan
Double post

Now I feel badly I made some of you spend sleepless night on the subject. 

All I am saying is that I drew my opinion from the highlights, watched them more than once, came to my own conclusion which was not anything near calling the cops (I even say it was close to a yellow, nothing more) and some of you did not accept that. 

Only after I saw that my opinion was not at all maverick and plenty of others saw it the same as I did. 

Being told repeatedly to "please look again" is about as condescending as it gets, it is simply not accepting that someone might have a different opinion than you do. 

As for what I've said about Lukas, I am right: he has never gotten so much press in his entire career. Some of you are making like I orchestrated the international reactions, very flattering but sorry. MacNaughton, as you make your bed so you lie in it.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now I feel badly I made some of you spend sleepless night on the subject. 

All I am saying is that I drew my opinion from the highlights, watched them more than once, came to my own conclusion which was not anything near calling the cops (I even say it was close to a yellow, nothing more) and some of you did not accept that. 

Only after I saw that my opinion was not at all maverick and plenty of others saw it the same as I did. 

Being told repeatedly to "please look again" is about as condescending as it gets, it is simply not accepting that someone might have a different opinion than you do. 

As for what I've said about Lukas, I am right: he has never gotten so much press in his entire career. Some of you are making like I orchestrated the international reactions, very flattering but sorry. MacNaughton, as you make your bed so you lie in it.

You're the one that seemed butthurt about all the contradictory views on the incident. I disagreed with you but I do understand why you and many others have a different view of it. You are obviously entitled to your opinion as am I. The condescension was purely from your end and was the only thing that somewhat irked me. I actually enjoy most of your posts but you seem to go off on a tangent at times that I can't grasp the reason for. Oh well...no hard feelings and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

1 hour ago, Noted Penguin said:

The significant difference of course was Serioux practically called it before he did it.

And followed it up by shouting "Welcome to the MLS Baby"!

Much ado about nothing.  LM left his foot in there.  Messi followed through into his challenge.  Both had some responsibility in what happened. And if it wasn’t soccer Jesus no one would have given it a second thought.  So who gives a shit.  MLS players can’t walk on eggshells just because it is him.   

On 3/8/2024 at 10:45 AM, longlugan said:

Please watch the replay again. There was nothing dirty or intentional about it. Lukas got to the ball first and cleared it. Their respective inertia carried them towards each other. Messi's leg slid under Lukas' landing zone. What other direction would you want his studs to be in? The call by the ref was completely correct in my opinion.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:05 AM, PiedPilko said:

Don't see what Lukas could have done - Messi lunged at him mid follow through. 

On 3/8/2024 at 10:42 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Make no mistake, that was a dirty play done in a very clever way. Nothing accidental about it. 

When you watch it in slow motion it's ugly, sure.  But in real time there's no way he could possibly do that on purpose.  People are basically saying that as he was landing he would have changed directions or mindfully places his foot where he anticipated Messi's would be. No chance that anyone can do that at that speed. 

It's an unfortunate bit of contact but these things happen.