Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

39 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It was a foul he doesn’t get a pass because he is Canadian. I agree he didn’t mean it , it was one of those tackles where your intention is to get the ball but unfortunately you miss the ball and catch the opponent’s leg . Moreover, nothing wrong with being a Messi fan boy for a player who will  go down as being the greatest of all time in my opinion , count me as one of them Messi fan boys .

It's one thing to be a super fan and another to bully an innocent player on social media.

Sorry but Messi fans look stupid and toxic here

Edited by narduch

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The call by the ref was correct - no one is arguing that. It was an intentional dirty play though … he’s clearing the ball out of play and “invited contact” with studs exposed as he could. 

Read back that sentence 

"he's clearing the ball" 

which means he wasn't inviting contact, to me at least. It's a soccer move. 

It was avoidable, Messi was late enough that he could have pulled out. (If he less late, their feet would have met on the ground or, if on time, on the ball. - remember McNaughton's leg was coming up from a clearance, not down from say a tackle.)  I assume he continue into the path of the clearance because he wanted a foul. 

40 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It was a foul he doesn’t get a pass because he is Canadian. I agree he didn’t mean it , it was one of those tackles where your intention is to get the ball but unfortunately you miss the ball and catch the opponent’s leg . Moreover, nothing wrong with being a Messi fan boy for a player who will  go down as being the greatest of all time in my opinion , count me as one of them Messi fan boys .

He didn't miss the ball.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

He didn't miss the ball.

And it wasn't a tackle. 

Not sure what people are trying to see here (if they have seen it, I guess).  There was a clear football play going on , one player was clearing the ball and one player was trying to block it. No tackling involved. 

The clearing player got there first; the other player continued into his path - I assume to draw a foul - because he quite late for his orginal purpose.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

14 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Avoidable how? You want to Photoshop his foot away?

Ummm...I'm originally from Germany. I've never played ice hockey and odds are that Messi can skate better than I can. I'm quite confident that I understand the rules of football every bit as much as you do. Pull back on the condescension please.

I've moved on, I'm not that invested in McNaughton to care. 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Are you watching the same play? He didn't miss the ball. He cleared it up field

20 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I think the point is that people are too invested in Messi. 

To say the least. Will the Inter Miami fan base reduce 50 when Messi retires? Not the most sustainable way to build a following in my opinion (although it's pretty fun to watch right now).

42 minutes ago, jdheid said:

To say the least. Will the Inter Miami fan base reduce 50 when Messi retires? Not the most sustainable way to build a following in my opinion (although it's pretty fun to watch right now).

Don't worry:  the Don is already out there looking for the next "big deal" player.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Don't worry:  the Don is already out there looking for the next "big deal" player.

There's no one comparable though.

I'm trying to think of other comparable to the Messi phenomenon. Maybe Tiger Woods at his peak?

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I'm trying to think of other comparable to the Messi phenomenon. Maybe Tiger Woods at his peak?

Before the scandals. It's true though. There isn't a comparable player for MLS to sign following Messi

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

You're right, but this league is addicted to the big star phenomenon like sports gaming and any other addiction:  they need the next fix, somehow, some way.

https://www.goal.com/lists/video-lionel-messi-avoids-injury-reckless-studs-up-challenge-lukas-macnaughton-inter-miami-concacaf-champions-cup-nashville/blt2727efa5d133ca81

The press is full of articles on the challenge. I think my opinion is majority, I'm not the freak here.

I am all in favour of seeing teams beat Miami and not be at all peevish about challenging their stars, but not to the point of  defending a two-bit journeyman who now has this on his resume as the most notable moment of his career.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

https://www.goal.com/lists/video-lionel-messi-avoids-injury-reckless-studs-up-challenge-lukas-macnaughton-inter-miami-concacaf-champions-cup-nashville/blt2727efa5d133ca81

The press is full of articles on the challenge. I think my opinion is majority, I'm not the freak here.

I am all in favour of seeing teams beat Miami and not be at all peevish about challenging their stars, but not to the point of  defending a two-bit journeyman who now has this on his resume as the most notable moment of his career.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've moved on, I'm not that invested in McNaughton to care. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's funny you know, we talk about the concern with CB, but here we have a player in his prime, playing and starting at a solid level, good on the ball and good in the air. People are concerned about his speed, yet he doesn't seem to repeatedly get burned for pace, probably due to good positioning. I mean, if he's good enough to play at this level, it should be good enough for Canada, at least as a stop-gap until a younger player like LDF or JKL come into their own. 

And the funny thing as well is that Waterman and McGraw are kinda in the same boat. Both in their prime and starting in MLS, for teams which are shaping up to be competitive. I think McNaughton should be ahead of both, but if not him then we have two other solid options waiting in the wings.

I'm just glad you see the humour in it.  I feel sadness and frustration that we still throw Vitoria's name around like he's still an option and solution while not having watched one of his club matches ever.  All the guys you mention play on better teams with fewer goals allowed.

The ringer?  Guess who Fotmob has as the lowest rated player on Chaves?  None other than our Vitoria.  Complete opposite to MacNaugton who is playing great and the highest rated on Nashville, who is one of the best defensive teams in MLS.  It's mind boggling that people still think we're in 2020 and he's our best option without having watched him lately.

image.thumb.png.fcc5651c1e299b2d09c5368cc4c8ff47.png

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was a dirty play on Lukas' part, it could easily have been a yellow. He followed through unnaturally with the cleats up. It is a play we've seen before, it happens, it is not clean football however. It was clearly avoidable.

I also think Lukas controlled what he was doing enough to not go past the the line. Credit to him (or lucky him), because the idiots who think that is heroic don't understand it has nothing to do with being extra nice to a player because of his past status.

I have watched Messi for 15 years and never in the history of football has a player been fouled so much and played on, gotten up and played on, been hacked or had his shirt pulled and played on, no player in the history of the game as seen the ref signaling play-on beside him as much as Messi. 

No Man ,  have you ever played Sunday morning amauter veteran football ?   It's an old trick !!  You keep it you let it linger,  your kick it and  you prolong  it so you step over the rival with your cleats/spuds ,  old School football,   refs won't get you booked before VAR 

Old school has died 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And it wasn't a tackle. 

Not sure what people are trying to see here (if they have seen it, I guess).  There was a clear football play going on , one player was clearing the ball and one player was trying to block it. No tackling involved. 

The clearing player got there first; the other player continued into his path - I assume to draw a foul - because he quite late for his orginal purpose.  

This guy hasn't played football in the lower leagues ever,  this isnt NBA ,  Martian