Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

16 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

If he's a regular starter in the MLS, he definitely should be in the national team picture.  Whether we all agree or not, our options aren't great.  I personally don't rate McGraw, at least not higher than Lukas.

Haven't seen enough of McGraw but agree on what I've seen. The guy in the Swiss league likely deserves as much a look as McGraw. None of those three or Heibert get me excited but they could all play a role helping the younger players come through. (JKL, Bombito, LDF, Stefanovic etc.)

Lukas was a bit rash a couple of years ago imo. Feels like maybe he has improved in that area in MLS. Time will tell. He brings a ton of positives coming forward too. Could just be a solid MLS squad player or maybe he has another step or two in his game to move up to. 

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

If he's a regular starter in the MLS, he definitely should be in the national team picture.  Whether we all agree or not, our options aren't great.  I personally don't rate McGraw, at least not higher than Lukas.

I’m happy we have the Can PL producing these CB’s, crazy how much his stock rose after the trade. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good game but a nasty old trick against Messi from Sunday morning football 

Lukas you are surrounded by Cameras ,  you got away with murder today ,   gold game though but Messi low bone and ankle got it worst

28 minutes ago, costarg said:

I figure this is a good moment to start talking about this.  Anyone have Kevin's number yet?

image.thumb.png.a23222cf69067ce889c550b42788fd19.png

It's funny you know, we talk about the concern with CB, but here we have a player in his prime, playing and starting at a solid level, good on the ball and good in the air. People are concerned about his speed, yet he doesn't seem to repeatedly get burned for pace, probably due to good positioning. I mean, if he's good enough to play at this level, it should be good enough for Canada, at least as a stop-gap until a younger player like LDF or JKL come into their own. 

And the funny thing as well is that Waterman and McGraw are kinda in the same boat. Both in their prime and starting in MLS, for teams which are shaping up to be competitive. I think McNaughton should be ahead of both, but if not him then we have two other solid options waiting in the wings.

9 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Good game but a nasty old trick against Messi from Sunday morning football 

Lukas you are surrounded by Cameras ,  you got away with murder today ,   gold game though but Messi low bone and ankle got it worst

Don't see what Lukas could have done - Messi lunged at him mid follow through. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Messi was a bit of a dick being annoyed that Lukas didn't get a card and didn't accept his apology when he came over.

It was a dirty play on Lukas' part, it could easily have been a yellow. He followed through unnaturally with the cleats up. It is a play we've seen before, it happens, it is not clean football however. It was clearly avoidable.

I also think Lukas controlled what he was doing enough to not go past the the line. Credit to him (or lucky him), because the idiots who think that is heroic don't understand it has nothing to do with being extra nice to a player because of his past status.

I have watched Messi for 15 years and never in the history of football has a player been fouled so much and played on, gotten up and played on, been hacked or had his shirt pulled and played on, no player in the history of the game as seen the ref signaling play-on beside him as much as Messi. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, narduch said:

He's getting destroyed on his Instagram by stupid Messi fan boys for clipping Messin on the follow through on a clearance

It was a foul he doesn’t get a pass because he is Canadian. I agree he didn’t mean it , it was one of those tackles where your intention is to get the ball but unfortunately you miss the ball and catch the opponent’s leg . Moreover, nothing wrong with being a Messi fan boy for a player who will  go down as being the greatest of all time in my opinion , count me as one of them Messi fan boys .

Edited by SoccMan

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was a dirty play on Lukas' part, it could easily have been a yellow. He followed through unnaturally with the cleats up. It is a play we've seen before, it happens, it is not clean football however. It was clearly avoidable.

I also think Lukas controlled what he was doing enough to not go past the the line. Credit to him (or lucky him), because the idiots who think that is heroic don't understand it has nothing to do with being extra nice to a player because of his past status.

I have watched Messi for 15 years and never in the history of football has a player been fouled so much and played on, gotten up and played on, been hacked or had his shirt pulled and played on, no player in the history of the game as seen the ref signaling play-on beside him as much as Messi. 

Please watch the replay again. There was nothing dirty or intentional about it. Lukas got to the ball first and cleared it. Their respective inertia carried them towards each other. Messi's leg slid under Lukas' landing zone. What other direction would you want his studs to be in? The call by the ref was completely correct in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Please watch the replay again. There was nothing dirty or intentional about it. Lukas got to the ball first and cleared it. Their respective inertia carried them towards each other. Messi's leg slid under Lukas' landing zone. What other direction would you want his studs to be in? The call by the ref was completely correct in my opinion.

That's a naive and disingenuous post, sorry.

It was a legit follow through with no player near, but avoidable given the circumstances. 

We'll never get anywhere in Canada if keep on applying hockey rules to our way of understanding football.

11 minutes ago, longlugan said:

The call by the ref was correct - no one is arguing that. It was an intentional dirty play though … he’s clearing the ball out of play and “invited contact” with studs exposed as he could. 

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's a naive and disingenuous post, sorry.

It was a legit follow through with no player near, but avoidable given the circumstances. 

We'll never get anywhere in Canada if keep on applying hockey rules to our way of understanding football.

Avoidable how? You want to Photoshop his foot away?

Ummm...I'm originally from Germany. I've never played ice hockey and odds are that Messi can skate better than I can. I'm quite confident that I understand the rules of football every bit as much as you do. Pull back on the condescension please.