Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I can't believe people are able to watch all of these players regularly enough to determine which ones have intangible attributes that the other options don't possess, who doesn't, and who will develop them. I couldn't possibly speak with confidence on some of these players mentioned. 

No one can, not even the guys that get paid to do it as a real job.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We really do like to get way ahead of ourselves on this site.

Knight-Lebel still gasnt gotten off the bench.

Chisholm hasn't even made an appearance for Honover 96 II yet.

Stefanovic probably goes back to TFC II once they get their shit together.

Another example is Bombito. Still fighting for a starting spot at Colorado 

And when they do have a couple of positive matches or better, suddenly it's about "Which top five league and/or club is the best fit for him based on his transfermarkt value?"

It's just fan talk.  I take it all in with a grain of salt.  

Germane to this discussion:  I am really pleased for Lukas and how things have turned out for him and I hope he and Shaff can stuff Messi and the rest of the Cosmos...err..Inter Miami in the Leagues Cup final.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Knight-Lebel still gasnt gotten off the bench.

In that particular case, an 18 year old captaining a Championship U21 side is a big deal for me.  He will not solve our problems this second or this year but he is well on his way to contributing in the not too distant future.  

Especially since he has actually played multiple games for a Canadian national team 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I can't believe people are able to watch all of these players regularly enough to determine which ones have intangible attributes that the other options don't possess, who doesn't, and who will develop them. I couldn't possibly speak with confidence on some of these players mentioned. 

I get what youre saying but thats not quite the narrative Im trying to suggest. The traits I am talking about are very visible. ZMG is dominant in the air like vitoria. Miller and AJ struggle in the air.  Those guys are not likely to develop much better aerially based on their height.  

LM isnt the type of CB who runs channels well for balls played in behind but hes great in a low block where his mobility is less of a concern. same for ZMG and I think it was painfully obvious when ZMG played rcb at the gold cup.  

The only intangible thats been discussed is organization of the backline and even then we can see a big difference of vitoria vs panama and kennedy vs usa. the team played more composed when vitoria came on.   

As for the prospects, I dont think anyone is predicting their development. However, LDF is obviously highly rated at fulham and its safe to say we can trust a prem assessment of the player better than any other source we have. If we lean on the trust that these top managers are giving some of these guys, its easier to assess they are currently viewed as a higher ceiling player than a kid in the whitecaps academy. Not always, but theres reasons for optimism when theres a clear indication of faith in a players development at a higher level.  

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It sounds like he had another good match in the final. Seeing as he seems to partner Zimmerman pretty well, what are the odds the US gives him a call?

Not out of the realm of possibility. People may laugh that off but he was near flawless in a big match with a lot of eyeballs and the USA play a LOT of games and are ever willing to expand their pool. We should be careful and would do well to get him tied up sooner than later. Besides, not like he doesn't deserve a shot or would be gifted a spot at this stage. 

53 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

He's playing really well for a top MLS team. How that doesn't entitle him to at least be competing for a starting CB spot with Canada is beyond me. Especially when considering how our CBs played this summer.

If he keeps it up, I agree that he should be in the mix. I'm not sure anyone could have predicted this, though.

I feel like the inactivity of the majority of our CB's in MLS this past month may be a contributing factor to my thoughts but I would have him ahead most MLS contingent of CB's right now.

If you look at our current crop of CB's:

Waterman - doesn't seem to be the same player since playing for Canada last November.

Bombito - exciting prospect but only a handful of professional games and has yet to solidify a starting spot.

Zator - team is having a rough start to the season.

Hiebert - form seems to have slowed since the beginning of the season.

McGraw - has been decent since returning from Gold Cup

Kennedy - giving him the benefit of having more history with the National team and we need his speed but his move was sideways at best.

Vitoria - unsure of contract status and not really playing right now.

Kamal - has had a decent run with Miami despite having some poor play throughout the tournament.

Cornelius seems to be the most in-form CB we have currently.  In my opinion he has to be starting in the next friendlies whenever they are.  I think MacNaughton has to be included for the next friendlies at this current rate.  And I've been critical of him in the past.

Edited by Corazon

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I feel like the inactivity of the majority of our CB's in MLS this past month may be a contributing factor to my thoughts but I would have him ahead most MLS contingent of CB's right now.

Waterman - doesn't seem to be the same player since playing for Canada last November.

Bombito - exciting prospect but only a handful of professional games and has yet to solidify a starting spot.

Kennedy - giving him the benefit of having more history with the National team and we need his speed but his move was sideways at best.

Kamal - has had a decent run with Miami despite having some poor play throughout the tournament.

Cornelius seems to be the most in-form CB we have currently.  In my opinion he has to be starting in the next friendlies whenever they are.  I think MacNaughton has to be included for the next friendlies at this current rate.  And I've been critical of him in the past.

So, in other words, a bunch of journeymen CBs.

47 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Agree with pretty much all of this. Very curious to see where Nimick lands. It's hard to tell what his true ceiling is at this rate, but it could be very high. Bit of a wildcard right now -- albeit in a good way. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

41 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Is the Allsvenskan a high enough level to consider Cornelius our best option? Bustos is playing pretty well there and I think he’s miles from a call. Derek is playing well for one of the better teams in the league, but he wasn’t exactly solid in MLS. Same goes for Kennedy and Zator. Are they playing at an equal level to MLS?

Zator’s team are bottom of the table, but they’re not conceding a lot. They just can’t score 

46 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Top three are McGraw, Cornelius and Miller imo.

Vitoria is probably close to retirement so I think there needs to be a transition away from him as a starter.

I always rated this guy watching Pacific, and when I seen him live when they played Toronto at BMO - I liked his game even more.

He's very composed on the ball, and has good range of passing. His come up story is also something special, and like some have said his play has been deserving of a call up.

My 5 CBS today:

1. Miller
2. Vitoria
3. Corneilius 
4. McGraw
5. MacNaughton

....however October is far away. 

17 hours ago, Corazon said:

Great list and detail.  

Kudos for not having Johnston on the CB list.

One person I'd like to keep an eye on is Waterman now that Camacho is gone, curious to see if things at CFM are a little more stable.  Good opportunity for him to step up.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Great list and detail.  

Kudos for not having Johnston on the CB list.

One person I'd like to keep an eye on is Waterman now that Camacho is gone, curious to see if things at CFM are a little more stable.  Good opportunity for him to step up.

I felt Waterman did an excellent job in last night’s game in leading and communicating with the outside CB’s.  From what I saw, had a solid game as well.  If we continue to play 3 at the back, I feel this guy deserves a look.  

• 2 weeks later...