Luka Gavran

rydermike

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That's the part I don't understand (and said as much when it happened to Max) - there is very little reason to be THAT high up the pitch.  Maybe if a long ball is lobbed over the top with the perfect weight, a pushed-up keeper can get there first when a stay at home keeper might not, but the risk is absolutely not worth it.  A keeper at the top of the 18 can still be an active outlet for a pressure-relief backpass if that is the intent, but the risk of getting chipped when you are higher up the pitch should keep you at home.  Any turnover near half - which happens at a reasonable rate - can result in a  clear goal scoring chance.  

If a keeper is at the top of the box, at 20 yards from goal, you are midpoint between covering your line and 40 metres from goal. That seems to be an acceptable split and enables you to cover a lot of long balls over the top of the CBs. 

There are plenty of keepers over the years who played higher to enable a more compressed defensive shape, but they were not playing at 35 yards from goal. They were responding to that point from the top of the box, from 20. Meaning they were not easily chipped. A keeper that habitually plays (has played) this way is Pepe Reina, for example. It seems he is too far out and could be chipped, but it does not happen.

That was Gavran's error in any case as soon as he broke past the press, as I see it. And if Herdman told him to be there, Herdman's error. Especially at that point in the game. You should be able to dominate and force turnovers from a CPL team as TFC without complex high press solutions.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Fair, it was an absolute laser. Thrink it one bounced into the net. Herdman could be well served by trying to get him to move up to TFC. 

It's actually not that difficult to do something like that if you are given plenty of time and space. I speak from direct experience albeit at a far less exalted level. Bernadeschi giving up on tracking back provided Badibanga with plenty of leeway. You don't need to worry about the keeper if he's that far out because you are always going to be hitting it high over his head rather than along the deck. It's just a case of getting it on target and it's still a reasonably big target to hit even at that distance.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's actually not that difficult to do something like that if you are given plenty of time and space. I speak from direct experience albeit at a far less exalted level. Bernadeschi giving up on tracking back provided Badibanga with plenty of leeway. You don't need to worry about the keeper if he's that far out because you are always going to be hitting it high over his head rather than along the deck. It's just a case of getting it on target and it's still a reasonably big target to hit even at that distance.

I'm sure you've done it many times 🤣