Luka Gavran

rydermike

3 hours ago, gator said:

I'm of two minds with this kid, I would like to see him succeed at TFC and hopefully Canada, if my fellow Hamiltonian has in fact decided Croatia is his future I am not so sure, he looked bad on the 2nd goal IMHO!

Have we actually heard that from him??  Maybe I missed it.  

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I don't like the reaction (blaming some out-player) from a goal that was clearly his fault.

Think he's not happy that his teammates didn't close it down more aggressively and basically invited the player to shoot on goal. On the first one Long didn't do the greatest job on heading it away from danger. Kansas City may have identified shots from distance as the weaker part of his game if he's not getting his angles quite right.

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Mixed bag last night. Made some insane saves. I suppose his positioning on the first two goals could have been better, though the defenders really should have applied more pressure. Awful defending on that third KC goal.

Certainly, the reflexes and the size are there in the point blank shot stopping.  It sounds like he is good with his feet.  Not sure how well he commands his box.  Like others have suggested, he needs a larger sample size where we get to see more improvement or more concerns.

Made some spectacular saves and, again, his distribution looks clean and composed. On the “howler” goal, I don’t think the camera angle picked up how much the ball knuckled. I also think he was unsighted by Rosted and thus didn’t get his feet set. His footwork and positioning could have been better but sometimes players just hit bangers. Conditions also a factor no doubt.

Like for a lot of young players breaking through, how he bounces back from his first error will be key. He’s very much looked the part and I think the GK1 spot is his until he loses it.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

How long has Gavran been in the TFC system? Did he come up through their academy?

As @Ivan mentioned, he was drafted in 2022 by Toronto FC.  Played the entire 2022 season as Toronto FC II #1 goalie.  He was selected as one of four MLS NextPro goalies to participate in the 2022 MLS All Star Skills Challenge.  I have no idea why they chose NextPro goalies for the MLS skills challenge (goalie wars) but Gavran was selected as an all star as one of the top goalies in NextPro.  Last year spent most the year with Toronto FC II but was called up as a backup and played a couple games in MLS late last year with Toronto FC’s first team.

I’m not sure what the plan is going forward but Johnson is a proven elite MLS keeper.  Perhaps they do what Montreal has done in the past with Sirois and Breza?  Either way, Johnson’s contract expires at the end of the year and he will be 35 to Gavran who’ will only be 24.  So if you can get Gavran some more starts this year, I would think they would let Johnson go and make Gavran the # 1 next season.  Considering Gavran has only played a handful of games, Toronto really can’t risk sending Johnson away now.

This way you can split some starts and have him learn from one of MLS best keepers of all time for the rest of the season.

Edited by Corazon

"How long has Gavran been in the TFC system? Did he come up through their academy?"

Drafted in 2022 out of NCAA, played 2022 with TFC2, 18 games.  2023 played 17 games with TFC2, got called up with a keeper hardship signing in Aug, stuck around played 4 games after Ranjitsingh had a cameo with Johnson injured.  Did a lot better then Ranj in my opinion and prob won the #2 job there. 

So, not in TFC academy, another guy who didnt get picked up by any MLS side....toiled in TFC next pro after learning his trade in NCAA a la St Clair, before that Hamilton croatia and GPS academy (which merged with oakville blue devils L10).  

Think I would have preferred Gavran in there on goals #1 and #3 for the break away type scenarios based on recent sets of highlights and doubt he would have just given up on #4 which looked on the outer fringes of actually being saveable to me if an effort had been made.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I think he has looked really good so far this year. But I also thought Crepeau looked really good whenever I saw him play (only for the national team really) and apparently his form is down since then, so who knows if this sample size for Gavran is enough or if it's just a run of good play. Very encouraging though.

Edited by Kent

22 hours ago, Kent said:

I think he has looked really good so far this year. But I also thought Crepeau looked really good whenever I saw him play (only for the national team really) and apparently his form is down since then, so who knows if this sample size for Gavran is enough or if it's just a run of good play. Very encouraging though.

He had some dominating performances with the Caps, probably some of the best the league has ever seen. 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, Corazon said:

Gavran lost his shutout in 89th minute on a breakaway but he still ended the game with 10 saves including some very good ones.  I’m confident he could easily be in our top keepers category.  

All it takes is for a goal keeper to be given that one opportunity.

His size, and footwork/distribution has been a revelation.

I've always said with Borjan not being the #1 anymore that the GK position is up for grabs. 

I have a lot of pool on the same level, but with Crepeau slightly above just based on experience. 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, Corazon said:

Gavran lost his shutout in 89th minute on a breakaway but he still ended the game with 10 saves including some very good ones.  I’m confident he could easily be in our top keepers category.  

And that is why when it comes to goalkeepers, our depth at that position as a country is very good

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

And that is why when it comes to goalkeepers, our depth at that position as a country is very good

It most definitely is not. We are gassing up a backup keeper who has never once made any indication that he would like to play for Canada, even actively cheering against us when we faced Croatia. Despite this, there is an argument to be made that he is one of our best. That’s a disaster.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It most definitely is not. We are gassing up a backup keeper who has never once made any indication that he would like to play for Canada, even actively cheering against us when we faced Croatia. Despite this, there is an argument to be made that he is one of our best. That’s a disaster.

I'm going to be contrarian and say that I don't think Gavran is even ready for this step.

If I was making a depth chart I would still have Borjan ahead of him.