Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

Posted (edited)

My way too early depth chart for 2026. I use eredivisie as a standard. Belguim, turkey etc are all considered around that level. 

1. David
2. Larin
3. Jebbison - Ceiling is mid table prem
4. Ugbo - Ceiling is low prem
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Eredivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring
10.KSB - Eredivisie
11. David Promise - Just below eredivisie - he's only this high because of physical profile.
12. Vilsaint - Eredvisie/MLS
13. Kerr - MLS
14. Lopez - Eredivisie? too early.
15. Morgan - ?
16. Diallo - Who knows

2030 depth
1. David
2. Jebbison
3. Larin
4. JRR
5. Tani
6. Ugbo
7. KSB
8. Lopez
9. Brym
10. Bair
11. Vilsaint
12. Promise
13. Kerr
14. Morgan
15.Diallo

Obviously theres alot to the list when you start predicting prospects and exclusing a guy like millar who can play as a 9 as well. 

Pepple, afrifra, cambridge, johnson, mbongue, michel are just some other prospects who rightfully can replace a guy like diallo on my list. 

This basically says that we have incredible striker depth and at minimum, guys need to be at the eredivise level or higher (or young guys with high ceilings who are producing at lower levels) to earn a CMNT cap. 

Edited by Bigandy

15 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

My way too early depth chart for 2026. I use eredivisie as a standard. Belguim, turkey etc are all considered around that level. 

1. David
2. Larin
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Eredivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring
10.KSB - Eredivisie
11. David Promise - Just below eredivisie - he's only this high because of physical profile.
13. Kerr - MLS
15. Morgan - ?
16. Diallo - Who knows

2030 depth
1. David
2. Jebbison
3. Larin
4. JRR
5. Tani
6. Ugbo
7. KSB
8. Lopez
9. Brym
10. Bair
11. Vilsaint
12. Promise
13. Kerr
14. Morgan
15.Diallo

Obviously theres alot to the list when you start predicting prospects and exclusing a guy like millar who can play as a 9 as well. 

Pepple, afrifra, cambridge, johnson, mbongue, michel are just some other prospects who rightfully can replace a guy like diallo on my list. 

This basically says that we have incredible striker depth and at minimum, guys need to be at the eredivise level or higher (or young guys with high ceilings who are producing at lower levels) to earn a CMNT cap. 

I love our depth well for both 2026 and hopefully 2030 but also hoping CPL also helps develop more players to add to this pool considering what MLS did for the USA in 1994 when they hosted...I hope it does wonders for us in the sense that CPL grows not only as a league but also develops newer, younger players 

15 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

1. David
2. Larin
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Eredivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring
10.KSB - Eredivisie
13. Kerr - MLS
15. Morgan - ?
16. Diallo - Who knows

2030 depth
1. David
2. Jebbison
3. Larin
4. JRR
5. Tani
6. Ugbo
7. KSB
8. Lopez
9. Brym
10. Bair
11. Vilsaint
12. Promise
13. Kerr
14. Morgan
15.Diallo

There is literally 0 way to predict this and the odds are by 2030 half that list is people we’ve yet to hear of. Predicting people’s celling is also impossible, everyone’s celling is technically the best in the world, it’s much better to do something like probable potential when predicting the future. Some of the takes on here are very weird too, I love your optimism but I find lists like these very weird.

2 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

There is literally 0 way to predict this and the odds are by 2030 half that list is people we’ve yet to hear of. Predicting people’s celling is also impossible, everyone’s celling is technically the best in the world, it’s much better to do something like probable potential when predicting the future. Some of the takes on here are very weird too, I love your optimism but I find lists like these very weird.

This is a North American build through the draft mentality seeping into soccer

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Also Tani made the MLS Team of the Week.

Not sure what he has to do to get a Topps Now Card

I thought he would get one this week and just hadn't check yet today.  Thought he would probably get one this week.  Glad I/we grabbed a couple the first time around.

Ironically (in the context of this Tani thread) Sunsui Ibrahim did get a card and he is a 21 Nigerian striker... 

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

I get that which is why I said that in my opening line. I don't understand the difference between probable potential and ceiling other than the word probable. Also if we have 10 new strikers that we do not know of in our list of top 15 strikers then that would be the most incredible achievement ever. That would essentially be 10 new  guys who are Championship to prem level guys. 

There's also some very relevant information to look at when predicting player outcomes that help minomize the gaps of our knowledge (even though there are many examples that defy this). 

Take ugbo or brym. Nothing ever has suggested they are going to the next level.  They are at an age where they arent prospects anymore so the relative stability of their level would indicate a smaller window of change. 

JRR and Tani are the opposite where the variability is much higher in what they could achieve.  

As for the weird takes, I am not sure what you mean unless you are referring to # 10-16 which are virtually all prospects and super interchangeable imo. 

I guess I just don't understand why its weird to look into the horizon at where the program could be. Obviously if a new prem striker comes up, the depth chart changes but how many guys have we seen in the past 4 years that no one had heard of before? 
1. Bombito
2. Ugbo - as a dual
3. heibert
4. kone
5. ZMG - as a dual
6. buchanan sort of?
7. Tani

Basically we have duals, NCAA guys and kone. To get another kone is very unlikely. Of the NCAA guys, there is not likely to be a guy from NCAA that leapfrogs into a top 5 conversation of striker. That leaves unknown duals. I would be shocked if we see that many unknown duals join the convo. 

6 hours ago, Bigandy said:

1. David
2. Larin
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Ered

ivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring
10.KSB - Eredivisie
13. Kerr - MLS
15. Morgan - ?
16. Diallo - Who knows

You're not joking when you say way too early. Look at your 2026 list. That's two years from now. Now go back two years. Half of the players on your list weren't listed. I expect even more players to come out of the woodwork But I'm not worried about our forwards. It's that backline  we need to develop.

15 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

So... realistically do we see him get any minutes somewhere among the two friendlies?

I think he gets the JRR minutes- come in ~’70 to try and make something happen. 

I think things like that striker depth chart are interesting to look back on after a couple years. I don’t think that we’re gonna put like 8 guys in the Eredivisie or whatever but if you consider guys like Tani, JRR, KSB, Vilsaint, so on as one cluster of players with similar potential or so, there’s definitely one guy in there who’s going to make it as a productive player in a good league in Europe. Maybe it’s Promise David, that danish club is apparently very keen on him- if he plays well there, who knows where he ends up. Will be interesting/funny to check on that list/predictions on the eve of the World Cup. 

18 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

So... realistically do we see him get any minutes somewhere among the two friendlies?

Tani I would give him some time against France 🇫🇷 but how much? Like 20 minutes and against the Netherlands 🇳🇱 I would also give him time like 10 to 15 minutes to start off

I've shared this anecdote before, but I once privately made my own projected list of national team players. It was 6 years out and then updated 4 years away, trying to predict the 2022 Qatar qualifying roster for the start of qualifying in 2019. Chris Manella, Bryce Alderson, Randy Edwini Bonsu, Nana Attakora, Andrew Gordon, Caleb Clarke, Kyle Porter, Michael Petrasso.

The only names that made any real impact in qualifying that I got right were Cyle Larin, Jonathan Osorio, Milan Borjan, Junior Hoilett, and Lucas Cavallini. I didn't have Davies, David, Buchanan, Vitoria, Miller, Johnston, Eustaquio, Hutchinson (figured he would be too old of course), Crepeau, Laryea, etc.

By all means, try to predict if you like, but it's just wild guesses really. Tabla's ceiling in 2018 was sky high and he plays in the CPL now. Larin's ceiling in 2021 or so (might be off a year) would have been relatively low and now he is in La Liga.

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Not sure I agree with this. Career MLSers when they're already landing starts and scoring goals at 21 years old? That's a bold prediction.  

The first line says that vilsaint could be a mls or eredivisie level guy so not sure what you are disagreeing with in regards to vilsaint.  As for Kerr, I agree he could go higher. But if I had to guess, jrr Tani and vilsaint seem more likely to make the next step up.  

On 6/4/2024 at 2:55 AM, Sal333 said:

You're not joking when you say way too early. Look at your 2026 list. That's two years from now. Now go back two years. Half of the players on your list weren't listed. I expect even more players to come out of the woodwork But I'm not worried about our forwards. It's that backline  we need to develop.

In fairness, half my list includes prospects who I put down for fun who would never ever be called up today.   A realistic depth chart is: 

1. David
2. Larin
4. Ugbo - Ceiling is low prem
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Eredivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring 

only one player we didn’t know of 2 years ago. Tani.  (We found out about ugbos eligibility in 2022 so he could also count)  

I just can’t see a world in which we discover 5 unheard of strikers in 2 years that are better than Tani. 

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

In fairness, half my list includes prospects who I put down for fun who would never ever be called up today.   A realistic depth chart is: 

1. David
2. Larin
4. Ugbo - Ceiling is low prem
5. JRR - Ceiling - 
6. Brym - Eredivisie
7. Bair - Eredivisie
8. Tani - Eredivisie
9. Cav - MLS/Retiring 

only one player we didn’t know of 2 years ago. Tani.  (We found out about ugbos eligibility in 2022 so he could also count)  

I just can’t see a world in which we discover 5 unheard of strikers in 2 years that are better than Tani. 

It's not just a question of knowing them but also how do we rate them. Two years ago no one thought JRR, Bair, Brym, or Tani would make the team in 2024. That's 4 of your 9. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts that at least 4 of the names you listed will not be there in 2026 and will be replaced by names we do not rate yet or are unaware of. The example of David should be educational. He literally came out of nowhere. When he was in Canada no one in the media spoke of him. He signed up in Europe and became a Canadian star. I know this is a rare path but I think it will happen more often in Canada because of the sudden growth of the game in this country.