Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Ugbo has had chances and done nothing for the CMNT. Does he deserve another shot? Absolutely. But, if it is between 2 of Bair, Ugbo, Oluwaseyi, right now I'd take Bair and Oluwaseyi.

Both deserve a cap or at least a camp.

Agree with this, as much as I've advocated for Ugbo in the past.

Frankly, and this may be an unpopular opinion, I am even open to leaving Larin off if it means we get both Bair and Oluwaseyi in.

Yes. Larin's in La Liga. He just hasn't had a good season at all. And at 29, I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling as a lower-tier La Liga player. Who knows what Bair or Oluwaseyi can do?

Exposure against big national teams would come with pressure, but opportunity as well. 

Depends on whether we have a new coach or not for the friendlies. If we do, he may want to bring in all of the "A" players for an evaluation for  Copa. If it's Biello, then there's more flexibility to drop Larin and Ugbo and take Bair & Tani + David & JRR. Biello knows what Larin/Ugbo bring and the 2 friendlies are not going to augment Cyle's career or  Ugbo's.  The bigger issue is that we would be crazy to start 2 strikers in the next 3/5 games, although there will be an opportunity for lots of subs in the friendlies.

I've seen enough. I want Olu in here. The question is.....when?

If we want to gamble we can wait until the fall match with Mexico, but I really think it's best to bring him in before that, just to be sure. And cap tie implications aside, I think it's just good for the program to have him part of the group sooner than later. I agree that it's very tough to pick and choose, but that's a great problem obviously. 

I am very tempted to say we go David-Larin-JRR-Bair-Tani and drop Ugbo. 

Ugbo had a chance recently in the T&T game, had the start and did relatively well. He was the one who laid Tajon's pass into the path of Larin for the game winner.

Bair is playing at a lower level, but he's got 15 goals, was player of the year for Motherwell, and team of the year in the SPL, but most importantly didn't get a look against T&T. Considering he's stayed in goal scoring form since then (more than Ugbo) and didn't get his shot, I think we need to see what he can do. Russell-Rowe I think is a bit of a hybrid between David and Larin, so a bit of a different profile, so I think he's going to be included.

So I guess it comes down to choosing Bair and Tani over Ugbo...for now....just got to bring him in, I think. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If we want to gamble we can wait until the fall match with Mexico, but I really think it's best to bring him in before that, just to be sure. And cap tie implications aside, I think it's just good for the program to have him part of the group sooner than later. I agree that it's very tough to pick and choose, but that's a great problem obviously. 

Ugbo had a chance recently in the T&T game, had the start and did relatively well. He was the one who laid Tajon's pass into the path of Larin for the game winner.

Bair is playing at a lower level, but he's got 15 goals, was player of the year for Motherwell, and team of the year in the SPL, but most importantly didn't get a look against T&T. Considering he's stayed in goal scoring form since then (more than Ugbo) and didn't get his shot, I think we need to see what he can do. Russell-Rowe I think is a bit of a hybrid between David and Larin, so a bit of a different profile, so I think he's going to be included.

So I guess it comes down to choosing Bair and Tani over Ugbo...for now....just got to bring him in, I think. 

Pretty much agree. It's close between Ugbo, Larin and JRR for me. Bair and Olu should be there. 

48 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Agree with this, as much as I've advocated for Ugbo in the past.

Frankly, and this may be an unpopular opinion, I am even open to leaving Larin off if it means we get both Bair and Oluwaseyi in.

Yes. Larin's in La Liga. He just hasn't had a good season at all. And at 29, I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling as a lower-tier La Liga player. Who knows what Bair or Oluwaseyi can do?

Exposure against big national teams would come with pressure, but opportunity as well. 

Larin can be frustrating but I can’t get behind this idea.   If it is a camp, then we can take a xtra guys and if it is a game he needs to continue getting calls at this time.  He has come up big for us in some massive games and has delivered enough times that we can’t ignore it  

In WCQ he scored key goals against the US (both games), Mexico, Honduras, etc.  

And they realize that was now a few years ago but more recently, he scored the game winner in the match against T&T that qualified us for Copa.

Frustrating or not, he does deliver on the biggest stages as much as any of our biggest players.   

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree with everything except bringing 5 strikers.  Biello playing 2 strikers in our next matches might be crazier than Herdman playing with 2 in midfielders vs Croatia.

15 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agree with everything except bringing 5 strikers.  Biello playing 2 strikers in our next matches might be crazier than Herdman playing with 2 in midfielders vs Croatia.

If some here are wanting to bring in five strikers, who is getting dropped from another position or positions?  

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

Again, thinking beyond the basics, it depends on how you use them. Inter Milan gave up 19 goals so far season playing 2 strikers.

Against good possession teams, the midfield 3 is super important but so too can be a front line pressing with numbers.

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Against good possession teams, the midfield 3 is super important but so too can be a front line pressing with numbers.

Wow.  You think Canada can high press these teams successfully?  You really think that's where the ball will be?  I love your confidence!  But really question your grasp of reality.

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Again, thinking beyond the basics, it depends on how you use them. Inter Milan gave up 19 goals so far season playing 2 strikers.

Exactly my point.  Inter is better than the other Serie A teams, they can play 2 strikers because the middle is able to get the strikers the ball.  Canada is not better than Argentina, Holland and France, the two strikers will not be seeing the ball, they'll just be isolated up top.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, costarg said:

Wow.  You think Canada can high press these teams successfully?  You really think that's where the ball will be?  I love your confidence!  But really question your grasp of reality

Of course we can high press, the ball always starts to there. 

We have world class athletes/pressers up there if we want to use them.  

You would rather sit back and wait for them to pick apart an either slow or inexperienced back line?  You are the one always saying we are lacking at the back so why not engage the ball with our best players.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Exactly my point.  Inter is better than the other Serie A teams, they can play 2 strikers because the middle is able to get the strikers the ball.  Canada is not better than Argentina, Holland and France, the two strikers will not be seeing the ball, they'll just be isolated up top.

Extremely lazy argument.  Inter aren't magically the best team. At least in good part it is because their tactical setup.  They have great players but many have done much better than in previous setups/teams. 

If you go by Transfermarket values, we should cede all these games but instead you do something tactically to try and change that. 

We aren't going match up with any of the teams we face in midfield, so you attack their back line with our best players.  Better than letting them come at you and hoping for the best.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If it is a camp, then we can take a xtra guys and if it is a game he needs to continue getting calls at this time.  He has come up big for us in some massive games and has delivered enough times that we can’t ignore it  

Not disagreeing with you re: timing. Larin is still our most proven striker after David. I'm just thinking about the future and what rewarding Bair / Olu for the strong play could do. I agree we need Larin for Copa. No question there. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Of course we can high press, the ball always starts to there. 

We have world class athletes/pressers up there if we want to use them.  

You would rather sit back and wait for them to pick apart an either slow or inexperienced back line?  You are the one always saying we are lacking at the back so why not engage the ball with our best players.

Extremely lazy argument.  Inter aren't magical the best team. At least in good part it is because their tactical setup.  They have great players but many have done much better than in previous setups/teams. 

If you go by Transfermarket values, we should cede all these games but instead you do something tactically to try and change that. 

We aren't going match up with any of the teams we face in midfield, so you attack their back line with our best players.  Better than letting them come at you and hoping for the best.  

High press doesn’t mean you have to play 2 strikers. Come on, keep it real man.  

Honestly, this obsession with playing 3-5-2 is getting unhealthy. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, costarg said:

High press doesn’t mean you have to play 2 strikers. Come on, keep it real man.  

Honestly, this obsession with playing 3-5-2 is getting unhealthy. 

Pick an argument.  Are you against 352 or high pressing? You tried both and these type of throw-away statements aren't helping either one. 

I am fine with not using 352, if we have good options for other setups.  Some of the coaches I like probably wouldn't want to play it.  But Davies playing honestly poorly as a leftback and Adekugbe out again, same with an option in Laryea ,we might not have a choice.  Especially with some ball-playing, non-glacial centre backs emmerging. 

As evidence by this thread, we do have great choice, for our level, at centre forward.  No?  So again, why not engage up the pitch with our best players.   

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Pick an argument.  Are you against 352 or high pressing? You tried both and these type of throw-away statements aren't helping either one. 

I am fine with not using 352, if we have good options for other setups.  Some of the coaches I like probably wouldn't want to play it.  But Davies playing honestly poorly as a leftback and Adekugbe out again, same with an option in Laryea ,we might not have a choice.  Especially with some ball-playing, non-glacial centre backs emmerging. 

As evidence by this thread, we do have great choice, for our level, at centre forward.  No?  So again, why not engage up the pitch with our best players.   

My statement was playing 2 strikers vs the big 3 is stupid.  I'm sticking with it.  You're naive and drinking WC level Herdman kool-aid if you think these teams can't play through a Canadian high press .

The reason CANMNT supporters were disappointed with our performance at the world cup wasn't because we lost 3 matches.  It's how we lost, it's that we were easily out coached and played formations that made no sense and that didn't suit our players or our opponents.  We might still have lost, but we could've done better and showed more class.

Rolling the dice for these friendlies and at Copa is just more of that.  We have a team that can compete well enough.  We need to define a system and play to our strengths.  Stop reinventing the wheel every single match, but mostly stop being naive thinking we'll be able to get the ball and beat Croatia on the wings.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

My statement was playing 2 strikers vs the big 3 is stupid.  I'm sticking with it.  You're naive and drinking WC level Herdman kool-aid if you think these teams can't play through a Canadian high press .

The reason CANMNT supporters were disappointed with our performance at the world cup wasn't because we lost 3 matches.  It's how we lost, it's that we were easily out coached and played formations that made no sense and that didn't suit our players or our opponents.  We might still have lost, but we could've done better and showed more class.

Rolling the dice for these friendlies and at Copa is just more of that.  We have a team that can compete well enough.  We need to define a system and play to our strengths.  Stop reinventing the wheel every single match, but mostly stop being naive thinking we'll be able to get the ball and beat Croatia on the wings.

I have watched "lesser" teams beat "better" teams through tactics many, many times. 

I don't want moral "classy" victories, I want to use our players the best way possible and try to get results.  You write like you have conceded to their higher Transfermarket values already.

You can have your opinions, which is valid, silly insults don't make them any more so, and tend make them look less so. 

Have a good Sunday.

59 minutes ago, costarg said:

Tbh, I think Herdman only got his tactics wrong against Croatia.  And horribly wrong there. Against Belgium, we were the much better side, just didnt take our chances, and got burned at the back for their only real chance. Against Morocco, the xG were in our favour and we were undone by Boran’s bonehead mistake. 

45 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Tbh, I think Herdman only got his tactics wrong against Croatia.  And horribly wrong there. Against Belgium, we were the much better side, just didnt take our chances, and got burned at the back for their only real chance. Against Morocco, the xG were in our favour and we were undone by Boran’s bonehead mistake. 

Except Davies taking the penalty vs Belgium was also a huge mistake the coach could've and should've prevented.

Morocco was up 1 at 4' and 2 at 20' so Xg isn't the most accurate gauge for that match

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Wow.  You think Canada can high press these teams successfully?  You really think that's where the ball will be?  I love your confidence!  But really question your grasp of reality.

It's easy to throw your hands up and say "you really think x tactic against these teams will work?" I could say you think sitting back against the likes of France or Argentina will work with our backline? We're underdogs for a reason 😅

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Impressive start to the season for him. I don’t agree with calling 5 strikers but if we do then he’s in. At 4 he doesn’t make it IMO. 

5 is a lot but we did that last time and 4 of 5 played.

22 minutes ago, Fullback said:

It's easy to throw your hands up and say "you really think x tactic against these teams will work?" I could say you think sitting back against the likes of France or Argentina will work with our backline? We're underdogs for a reason 😅

I prefer our odds with 10 guys behind the ball than 9.  Basically, I'm ok with a high press, but you don't need to play two strikers to high press.

On 4/30/2024 at 6:21 PM, Mihairokov said:

Just to touch on this, youth sport development is generally a 10-12 year development cycle.

What I mean by this is that it takes roughly a decade for something to show in youth development from a major event happening. Valour arriving doesn't automatically make 15-year olds better at soccer, but Valour arriving does grow interest for kids who are five or six when they arrive. These are the kids growing up with the team, watching the game, and probably getting better youth experience with the talent now in-market. This can be seen in a lot of places, but especially in how Arizona started developing hockey players from the ~1995 age-group onwards, especially the 2000s-onwards years. Also seen in Pittsburgh where they are now developing far more hockey players after the Penguins won the cup with Crosby. Kids watching that cup win are only really twenty-ish today.

For us to really see results from Valour's impact on youth development in Winnipeg we'll need to wait until 2029 or so, when the kids who were in Winnipeg when Valour arrived are entering U18 and U16 footy.

Thats right every one is on their own development curb. Problem in Canada is you only have the three MLS academies considered as high-performance training environments, so its easy to see why lots of players are missed. 

Provinces like Manitoba and those in Eastern Canada just dont have the consistant competition for players if they dont get away early they likely aren't progressing. Also MB soccer scene has to much politics and groups wanting a piece of the marketplace and it hurts the players.