Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

On 8/24/2024 at 6:10 PM, narduch said:

Not in the line up today for Minnesota. 

Listed ad out a few days with a Hamstring injury on Fotmob 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Oluwaseyi is probably our too.

Didn't play on the weekend 

You may be right. I had missed the timeline announcement on that one.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/08/06/minnesota-united-striker-tani-oluwaseyi-expected-out-one-month/

Three to five weeks.

That would put his return at between now and the date of the Mexico friendly. Borderline at best.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Your point still stands, he didn't look good....or look better than Larin. 
He either plays small (was second to a lot of balls) or it was just a rough day but almost had a goal on the last play of the game to beat Ream with ease.

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Being linked to a move to an Israeli club. Not a fan of this.

Yeah, they have a bit of European pedigree but I doubt the league is above the level of play in MLS.  Looks like they are in Europa Conference League qualification so there is some prospect of European footy but that doesn't seem like a huge incentive.  May be a better European gateway though.

But I always recognize that these guys have to go where the money is.  It is easy to get lost in the romanticism of challenges and opportunities but if someone offered to increase your wages by $100k+ for a couple of years, it would be a no-brainer.  That is a massive difference in financial wherewithal for someone who doesn't have a lot of financial security.  It looks like Tani is currently on $90k per year, so the dude should get paid if and when he can.  

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But I always recognize that these guys have to go where the money is.  It is easy to get lost in the romanticism of challenges and opportunities but if someone offered to increase your wages by $100k+ for a couple of years, it would be a no-brainer. 

That is what a "professional" is and should be, a mercenary.  The "romanticism" is for the "marks".

25 minutes ago, nolando said:

He reminds me in a some ways of Tosaint Ricketts, and this move somehow as well.

Surely MLS overall has to be a better and more competitive league than Israel overall, no? 

It is, I can’t imagine the salary being too good to turn down, and if he is going somewhere purely to get paid, which is fair, it’s hard for me to imagine not a single team in KSA or UAE wanting his services and willing to overpay him for them. 

The article is in Hebrew and my browser won’t translate, so I can’t read what it actually says. Is this an actual rumour or did the press just make the connection because he’s replacing another former MLS guy?

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It is, I can’t imagine the salary being too good to turn down, and if he is going somewhere purely to get paid, which is fair, it’s hard for me to imagine not a single team in KSA or UAE wanting his services and willing to overpay him for them. 

The article is in Hebrew and my browser won’t translate, so I can’t read what it actually says. Is this an actual rumour or did the press just make the connection because he’s replacing another former MLS guy?

This is the best I can get:

First publication: Maccabi Haifa is looking for a replacement for Frantezadi Piero and has signed the striker of Minnesota and the Canadian national team, Tani Olvasaye, who scored eight goals this season and added four assists in MLS. The interesting statistic is that he did this in just 828 minutes, so he is effectively involved in a goal every 69 minutes.

The 24-year-old striker was born in Nigeria, but came to Canada at a young age where he developed as a footballer. He also made eight appearances for the Canadian national team, and a little over two years ago he was drafted by Minnesota. A season before that, he played for San Antonio from the minor league and scored 16 goals in the league and added seven assists in 25 appearances. He is considered a physical player, tall At 1.88m, he has a good head game and in terms of speed he is better than the departed Franzi Piero.

Maccabi Haifa is one of the stronger teams in Israel. 

They're playing European competitions "abroad", mostly in Hungary but other Eastern European sites. Obviously it can't be the most comfortable place to be right now. Still, it's a good league to jump off from, though usually it'd mean going to Greece or Switzerland, Austria. Rare that you'd transfer better. So I say if you can go to one of those directly it skips a step. I'm sure his agent is getting interest from those leagues too. 

Israeli football is doing well lately, with the u-20s coming third in the WC, the seniors in top tier of Nations League (vs France, Italy, Belgium, terrible, likely they'll drop to B tier), so the young talent is being scouted more intensely. More eyes on the league. 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is the best I can get:

First publication: Maccabi Haifa is looking for a replacement for Frantezadi Piero and has signed the striker of Minnesota and the Canadian national team, Tani Olvasaye, who scored eight goals this season and added four assists in MLS. The interesting statistic is that he did this in just 828 minutes, so he is effectively involved in a goal every 69 minutes.

The 24-year-old striker was born in Nigeria, but came to Canada at a young age where he developed as a footballer. He also made eight appearances for the Canadian national team, and a little over two years ago he was drafted by Minnesota. A season before that, he played for San Antonio from the minor league and scored 16 goals in the league and added seven assists in 25 appearances. He is considered a physical player, tall At 1.88m, he has a good head game and in terms of speed he is better than the departed Franzi Piero.

To engage with this more seriously though, the translation makes it seem like a done deal? Though when I name search him up on Twitter, no other Israeli sources make mention of it, so assume this is similar to any of the Jonathan David rumours of this team or that team liking him.

Macabbi fans are all up in his IG comments though.

I like this a lot. Aside from the "do you want to live there ... right now?" factor, this is an excellent semi step up. Oluwaseyi is fairly green and has never played outside the US. He's not going to go to a top Euro league and unlikely to go to a top club in a second rate Euro league like Turkey or Switzerland or Belgium.

This is a chance to ease into playing in a foreign country where English is extremely common, the lifestyle is excellent, the level of play is just enough of a step but not huge, the club is big (he's not their only hope so less pressure), the pay is better, good club infrastructure, and there is European competition and European exposure. What's not to like? I'd jump at this.

Edited by The Real Marc