Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

I understand the appeal of this player, and, as much as I want to say it’s superstitious, 30-odd years of watching football have pretty much convinced me that form is everything for a striker (and Larin has none). Plus, TO’s potential in a pressing system is obvious.

One curious thing (small sample size warning), his passing accuracy numbers for his club are shocking. For the season he’s 52/102.

Attached image is his most recent form.

IMG_1159.jpeg

2 hours ago, gkhs said:

I understand the appeal of this player, and, as much as I want to say it’s superstitious, 30-odd years of watching football have pretty much convinced me that form is everything for a striker (and Larin has none). Plus, TO’s potential in a pressing system is obvious.

One curious thing (small sample size warning), his passing accuracy numbers for his club are shocking. For the season he’s 52/102.

IMG_1159.jpeg

Given that he has four assists so far this season, his passing stats are even more puzzling.

2 hours ago, gkhs said:

IMG_1159.jpeg

Could you find stats for another La Liga striker of a similar profile? If a lot of his passes are layoffs from long balls forward while being pressured, I can see the passing % being low. And any player working primarily in the attacking third will have a lower passing percentage than, say, a CB.

I definitely can’t claim to have seen him play enough to know whether the passing stats are capturing a skill problem or just a funky sample problem - time will tell I guess.

12 hours ago, gkhs said:

IMG_1159.jpeg

These are Larin’s passing stats, not Tani’s, right?

50 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

These are Larin’s passing stats, not Tani’s, right?

They are Tani’s stats. I love his potential but I do find it odd that so many are calling for him to start over Larin. Larin’s hold up play has been much better, and it’s not like Tani hasn’t missed some chances in his minutes as well. Feels a bit like fans always wanting the backup QB to take over just because it’s something new. 

15 minutes ago, archer21 said:

They are Tani’s stats. I love his potential but I do find it odd that so many are calling for him to start over Larin. Larin’s hold up play has been much better, and it’s not like Tani hasn’t missed some chances in his minutes as well. Feels a bit like fans always wanting the backup QB to take over just because it’s something new. 

Larin has something ridiculous like 1 goal in the last 11 Canada games while also having a poor season in La Liga. You can score all you want against teams like T&T and Jamaica but if you can't come up in big games then it doesn't matter. Tani at least has a recent record of performing well in his role. And Tani has barely played yet the few chances he's gotten were much closer than any of Larin's chances.  

Something's gotta be done. I don't think Jesse has the balls to change up the offense in such a big game but I'd put money we see something different in September and beyond if we don't score any goals in the next two Copa games. 

And the same vibes I have about Tani are the same vibes I got with Kone when he first came onto the scene, and look where he is.

2 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You can score all you want against teams like T&T and Jamaica but if you can't come up in big games then it doesn't matter. 

I get your overall point, but his goal against T&T mattered a great deal. 

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

Could you find stats for another La Liga striker of a similar profile? If a lot of his passes are layoffs from long balls forward while being pressured, I can see the passing % being low. And any player working primarily in the attacking third will have a lower passing percentage than, say, a CB.

Worth noting that pure strikers don't normally have amazing passing stats, percentage or number. If I look down the list of Premier League's best percentage passers - you could maybe say Luis Diaz is a somewhat striker at 90th place and 84% but if you look at say someone like Evan Ferguson - a very good lay off man before he got injured - is in 130th and 81%.  Isak and Gabriel Jesus at around 78%.  Those are the top end. 

You could look at La Liga to compare apples to Larin, as it were, but I don't know all the striker's profile as well. Alexander Soloth is a player I know a bit because West Ham have been linked with him, is also a good lay off forward - he had 75% passing.  Samuel Omorodion is another like that 72%, while Larin is at 62%. 

Posted (edited)

Tani should and will contine his latter game sub role for this one.  When he returns to club level and continues his form in a first chioice starter role, I think you might see him become the starter in the fall matches alongside David should Larin continue with the same level of club performance.  Marsch clearly likes him ahead of JRR and Bair and perhaps even the absent Ugbo.

At the moment, Larin does enough things in his overall game that are better than the other forwards here and also which Marsch values so he maintains his starting place for this one.  And he is overdue for popping a goal so it would be a swell time for him to break that slump tonight.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Larin has something ridiculous like 1 goal in the last 11 Canada games while also having a poor season in La Liga. You can score all you want against teams like T&T and Jamaica but if you can't come up in big games then it doesn't matter. Tani at least has a recent record of performing well in his role. And Tani has barely played yet the few chances he's gotten were much closer than any of Larin's chances.  

I keep flipping on this myself.  Larin's been ice cold.  He can't even find the barn door never mind actually hit it. 

Before this 11 game dry spell he was around 1G every two games, now he's around 1G every 2.5 games.  He's really due for a brace, just hope it's tonight.

Guys what about the work Larin has been doing? He hasn't scored, but he's been playing really well and helping with the team play. It's not as if he's wasting 3 or 4 chances a game. I think you have to keep starting Larin so long as the team is doing well. We know Larin he could pop up with a goal and break the funk, but can't do that from the bench.

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Guys what about the work Larin has been doing? He hasn't scored, but he's been playing really well and helping with the team play. It's not as if he's wasting 3 or 4 chances a game. I think you have to keep starting Larin so long as the team is doing well. We know Larin he could pop up with a goal and break the funk, but can't do that from the bench.

Exactly, going with the odds, he will break out very soon!  He's been great at clearing and defending corners, we can't ignore that, but his offensive stats and even defensive stats in the offensive zone aren't great.  Fingers crossed for tonight!

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

He is not there yet, but future La Liga star Endrick made a single pass in Brazil’s game. The one pass was off the kickoff. 0/4 over the next 90 minutes & change. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

IMO the stuff people usually say about how well David plays in games he doesn’t score, I think Larin has done an excellent job at all that. Didn’t he make the hockey assist off of the David goal against Peru? I’m constantly surprised when I see him pick up the ball a lot deeper than where I expect him to be. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

IMO the stuff people usually say about how well David plays in games he doesn’t score, I think Larin has done an excellent job at all that. Didn’t he make the hockey assist off of the David goal against Peru? I’m constantly surprised when I see him pick up the ball a lot deeper than where I expect him to be. 

He's been massive defending corners and set pieces.  Wonder what could've been had he tried his hand at CB.....

1 minute ago, costarg said:

He's been massive defending corners and set pieces.  Wonder what could've been had he tried his hand at CB.....

I forget how tall he is too. Sometimes I’ll see him in the box, and it’s like…  could he put in a shift in the back???

31 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I forget how tall he is too. Sometimes I’ll see him in the box, and it’s like…  could he put in a shift in the back???

No...if anything with his size and speed, he's the perfect center forward

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Both of these!  Sure, he hasn't been scoring, but he really has been more than worthy of his starting spots based on most other metrics of the game.  He's doing the intangibles.  Even if scoring isn't in his current package, I just don't see any other striker having a better overall package to offer at this level.  

I'm not seeing what others are seeing with Larin, I don't think he's been particularly good. His hold up play hasn't been great, his set piece defending is ok but I don't think he's uniquely good at it. His best play was of course starting the goal versus Peru, but other than that I struggle to think of another key moment he provided. It's too late to trust someone else though, at this point I think you have to roll with him with the inevitable Tani sub.

21 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I'm not seeing what others are seeing with Larin, I don't think he's been particularly good. His hold up play hasn't been great, his set piece defending is ok but I don't think he's uniquely good at it. His best play was of course starting the goal versus Peru, but other than that I struggle to think of another key moment he provided. It's too late to trust someone else though, at this point I think you have to roll with him with the inevitable Tani sub.

I think it's kind of like Osorio - he's been good by virtue of not struggling on such a massive stage.

I guess you could say he's struggled to score, but it's not as if he's had a dozen chances.