Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

It's not just a question of knowing them but also how do we rate them. Two years ago no one thought JRR, Bair, Brym, or Tani would make the team in 2024. That's 4 of your 9. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts that at least 4 of the names you listed will not be there in 2026 and will be replaced by names we do not rate yet or are unaware of. The example of David should be educational. He literally came out of nowhere. When he was in Canada no one in the media spoke of him. He signed up in Europe and became a Canadian star. I know this is a rare path but I think it will happen more often in Canada because of the sudden growth of the game in this country.

David wasn't as hyped as Davies but he was a known quantity. His first appearance for our U17s had media guys saying to watch out because he was going to Europe the second he turned 18.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

David wasn't as hyped as Davies but he was a known quantity. His first appearance for our U17s had media guys saying to watch out because he was going to Europe the second he turned 18.

He was also called to our U15 team (with Davies) prior to starring for our U17s. 

I guess he was probably unknown to 95 % of Canadian soccer fans and casuals, but certainly was known to most on this board! 😄  

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I've shared this anecdote before, but I once privately made my own projected list of national team players. It was 6 years out and then updated 4 years away, trying to predict the 2022 Qatar qualifying roster for the start of qualifying in 2019. Chris Manella, Bryce Alderson, Randy Edwini Bonsu, Nana Attakora, Andrew Gordon, Caleb Clarke, Kyle Porter, Michael Petrasso.

The only names that made any real impact in qualifying that I got right were Cyle Larin, Jonathan Osorio, Milan Borjan, Junior Hoilett, and Lucas Cavallini. I didn't have Davies, David, Buchanan, Vitoria, Miller, Johnston, Eustaquio, Hutchinson (figured he would be too old of course), Crepeau, Laryea, etc.

By all means, try to predict if you like, but it's just wild guesses really. Tabla's ceiling in 2018 was sky high and he plays in the CPL now. Larin's ceiling in 2021 or so (might be off a year) would have been relatively low and now he is in La Liga.

I was telling people at the end of our WC run that in 4 years time there will be players on the 2026 team that no-one had a clue about at that time. You don't know where the next gem is coming from.

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

It's not just a question of knowing them but also how do we rate them. Two years ago no one thought JRR, Bair, Brym, or Tani would make the team in 2024. That's 4 of your 9. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts that at least 4 of the names you listed will not be there in 2026 and will be replaced by names we do not rate yet or are unaware of. The example of David should be educational. He literally came out of nowhere. When he was in Canada no one in the media spoke of him. He signed up in Europe and became a Canadian star. I know this is a rare path but I think it will happen more often in Canada because of the sudden growth of the game in this country.

JRR didn’t make the team and I’d be socked if we take 6 strikers to the copa. So it’s actually 3 of 9(or6 if you look at the call ups) that will likely drop to 1 or 2 as we won’t call up 6 strikers. Id also argue that we started calling up Brym in 2022 so a young striker in Europe was always likely to replace cav.  If not Brym, who did we expect?  So now it’s roughly 0-1 of 9(6)That was unexpected but had prior call ups (bair).  

let’s say we take 4 strikers to copa.  
david and larin are locks. Would anyone be surprised to see Ugbo, brym, jrr, Tani, bair, Jebbo?

do we honestly think that we will find 1 let alone several strikers who will climb from unknown to premier league quality within the next 2 years?

sure. Known guys could grow rapidly and then my guesstimates of depth chart is wrong. But the spirit that we expect half the call ups of strikers to change with unknown guys in 2 years is pretty wild to me.(I know that ur talking about quality and not known/unknown, but the known argument is what I have been replying to). 

20 hours ago, Bigandy said:

The first line says that vilsaint could be a mls or eredivisie level guy so not sure what you are disagreeing with in regards to vilsaint.  As for Kerr, I agree he could go higher. But if I had to guess, jrr Tani and vilsaint seem more likely to make the next step up.  

It's just early to tell. Look at Kone. Comes from PLSQ to CF Montreal and then right to the Championship.

Who would have imagined Johnston at Celtic? 

Larin was in his early 20s with Orlando. He's in LaLiga now.

13 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's just early to tell. Look at Kone. Comes from PLSQ to CF Montreal and then right to the Championship.

Who would have imagined Johnston at Celtic? 

Larin was in his early 20s with Orlando. He's in LaLiga now.

For sure and I’m fully on board that it’s too early. But larin took years to get to La liga. Not 2 years. 

johnston took time.  Kone is a rare case. 

I just don’t see 4 strikers making massive waves in 2 years when we don’t really have a single concrete example of this happening. 

36 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I just don't understand how someone could do research, write a script and shoot a video, but cannot pronounce player names correctly. 

He's a kid of today (for all that entails) so I cut him a bit of slack because he is producing content (without anyone backing him) and not getting much in return.

He's not getting a lot of subs or comments so maybe the rest of us could go to his channel and help him out a bit.  I'm just trying to give him some exposure and encouragement as he seems like a good kid who's willing to learn.

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I just don't understand how someone could do research, write a script and shoot a video, but cannot pronounce player names correctly. 

Give the kid a break. I've heard a number of MLS announcers pronounce it the way he did. After I read your post I checked on the net and you know what I got many conflicting pronunciations.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Give the kid a break. I've heard a number of MLS announcers pronounce it the way he did. After I read your post I checked on the net and you know what I got many conflicting pronunciations.

I thought the "s" is a "sh", at least someone say that. Then, I think the final "e" is pronounced twice, its "se" and then "eyi". 

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

We should expect people to properly pronounce players names, but I’d cut him some slack considering how relatively new to the scene Tani is. Would hope as he grows and becomes a more known player, people learn his name like how everyone knows how to pronounce Antentokunmpo. You mispronounce a guy’s name in one video fine, if he does another and still mispronounces it, that’s not great. 

Though funny enough, if you google “how to pronounce Oluwaseyi”, the first hit is a YouTube video pronouncing that name very slowly. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

This dude made his MLS debut this year, and just a few months later was stepping on the field against France and playing against guys like Mbappe, Griezmann and Camavinga.  What a crazy development.  Happy for the guy - and glad Marsch got him on the field.  

Shades of Kone, but Tani is 24.

Had to do a quick google search when this guy came on to remind myself who he is. Good to see there is still some life left in the youth soccer -> NCAA -> MLS pathway because I always think there is something to be said for players that don't make it big on soccer having something to fall back on in terms of a university degree.