Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it's kind of like Osorio - he's been good by virtue of not struggling on such a massive stage.

I guess you could say he's struggled to score, but it's not as if he's had a dozen chances. 

We have two goals in 6 matches against mostly very tough opponents. Everyone has struggled to score.

Why not? Because I think his lack of experience and his style of go go speedracer, suit him to come in attacking tired legs at the 60min mark.  I dont see starting Tani and bringing in Larin to close it out.  Still would like to see Bair or at least JRR...one of the two in this last game.  

And the little tidbit about Tani from Gage.  It makes perfect sense, what CPL team wouldnt want to snag a hyped prospect from NCAA out from MLS noses.  And of course he needed games, good thing the USA has USL-C, USL-1 etc,  has a well fleshed out pyramid and not just 3 MLS teams, some reserve sides then down to semi pro L1O levels eh??  The CPL could have been the league he got loaned out to for seasoning...cooperation eh?.  Not 3 MLS reserve teams that want and would get a big say in every detail of our CPL so it benefits american parent league.    

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why not? Because I think his lack of experience and his style of go go speedracer, suit him to come in attacking tired legs at the 60min mark.  I dont see starting Tani and bringing in Larin to close it out.  Still would like to see Bair or at least JRR...one of the two in this last game.  

And the little tidbit about Tani from Gage.  It makes perfect sense, what CPL team wouldnt want to snag a hyped prospect from NCAA out from MLS noses.  And of course he needed games, good thing the USA has USL-C, USL-1 etc,  has a well fleshed out pyramid and not just 3 MLS teams, some reserve sides then down to semi pro L1O levels eh??  The CPL could have been the league he got loaned out to for seasoning...cooperation eh?.  Not 3 MLS reserve teams that want and would get a big say in every detail of our CPL so it benefits american parent league.    

The CPL is going to learn the hard way fast, and I think they’ve started to.

they were wrong for thinking there’s this market for 22-25 year olds from a low level…

now they’re seeing what USL is doing and they’re slowly copying.

52 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The CPL is going to learn the hard way fast, and I think they’ve started to.

they were wrong for thinking there’s this market for 22-25 year olds from a low level…

now they’re seeing what USL is doing and they’re slowly copying.

I always wonder about Forge and their players. This is a team that has consistently dominated the league, either in regular season or playoffs or both. They have some MLS scalps in the V Cup and decent results in continental tournaments. Yet very few of their players have moved on to bigger and better things. Either there is no market for these sorts of mid-20s talents, or they are somehow compensated for their troubles better than you would expect a CPL player to be. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I always wonder about Forge and their players. This is a team that has consistently dominated the league, either in regular season or playoffs or both. They have some MLS scalps in the V Cup and decent results in continental tournaments. Yet very few of their players have moved on to bigger and better things. Either there is no market for these sorts of mid-20s talents, or they are somehow compensated for their troubles better than you would expect a CPL player to be. 

Or maybe it's the coach?

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

Are they a profitable club? Regularly at the top of the attendance rankings, pulling away as an elite team in the league; maybe it’s less about transfers and more about staking their claim as the dominant club in the country, so as the league grows and better players start coming over, they’ll get first pick. They do have some guys I’m sure they hope to sell for a good profit- Kane, Tavernier, etc., but I wonder if they’re more focused on becoming a Canadian Celtic/Rangers and less about selling these young players, which historically, hasn’t yet really netted teams all that much money. 

Also, it’s not like there’s going to be a massive market for young CPL players any time soon. I think the CPL record is still Borges for less than $250k? Maybe one of these promising U20 guys eventually goes for $500k, but even if Tani went to VFC last year, he would’ve likely broke the transfer record and would’ve netted his club far below $1M. It’s probably more profitable in the CPL to be a top team, play champions league games, Voyageur cup, and build a loyal fanbase than try and find the players who will move on to bigger clubs. At least for now. 

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, it’s not like there’s going to be a massive market for young CPL players any time soon. I think the CPL record is still Borges for less than $250k? Maybe one of these promising U20 guys eventually goes for $500k, but even if Tani went to VFC last year, he would’ve likely broke the transfer record and would’ve netted his club far below $1M. It’s probably more profitable in the CPL to be a top team, play champions league games, Voyageur cup, and build a loyal fanbase than try and find the players who will move on to bigger clubs. At least for now. 

This is obviously the case but 75% of the Forge roster has proven they are way too good to be making $45k CAD in the CPL, so what's in it for them to stay?

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This is obviously the case but 75% of the Forge roster has proven they are way too good to be making $45k CAD in the CPL, so what's in it for them to stay?

I’m speaking from Forge’s perspective IE surface level it seems to make more sense for them to make their team as dominant as possible to increase revenue vs field all of these teenage players so hopefully one player one day earns you a relatively low transfer fee. 

As for the players themselves, I’m not as familiar with their salaries. Is that what Forge’s best players are earning? I’m sure the best way to get a salary bump is to go to USL, but as foreign players, I think there are caps on how many you can bring in. Not sure if Scandinavia pays significantly more for the trouble of moving abroad, and then you get like, Central American leagues that I think require a certain type of player/personality to give a shot to. 

I do think Forge have some guys destined for greener pastures. Aside from the oft mentioned youngsters, Kalongo has been a guy that has impressed me, I think he has MLS potential. Owolabi-Belewu has also stuck out to me. 

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

We saw what happened to Tristan Henry.

Who knows who else was pressured to stay.

On 7/9/2024 at 10:37 PM, dyslexic nam said:

This guy is going to be a huge threat for us in the years to come.   If I could put money on him being Canada’s top scorer in WC2026 I would drop some cash on that bet.  He has looked aggressive and dangerous every time he has stepped onto the field.  

Both for your sake and ours (Canada Soccer), I hope that cash doesn't go the way of your last bet - into the betting bookie's coffers.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, it’s not like there’s going to be a massive market for young CPL players any time soon. I think the CPL record is still Borges for less than $250k? Maybe one of these promising U20 guys eventually goes for $500k, but even if Tani went to VFC last year, he would’ve likely broke the transfer record and would’ve netted his club far below $1M. 

I agree, for sure, but I wonder if the player sale model is more geared to the "sell on" model.... continuing to garner cash as their former players move up the leagues. 

49 minutes ago, Onelessstar said:

I agree, for sure, but I wonder if the player sale model is more geared to the "sell on" model.... continuing to garner cash as their former players move up the leagues. 

It definitely is, but unless we’re talking about the next Davies or a player that the CPL can send over to the MLS and have them flip him for a €15M+ fee, that original sell on clause isn’t much, at least not enough to make it your team’s focus. Barring outliers, the most a CPL team should hope for is to develop a guy like Waterman or Farsi who are great to grow the league, but won’t net you anything worth sacrificing wins and trophies. 

I do think once those generational players come by- couple current young players have high potential, those teams will prioritize them, but because a club like Forge is super successful and now have a massive head start over future expansion clubs, I don’t think it’s in their best interest to prioritize development at the cost of maintaining their league dominance. 

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Rumour was goteh ntignee went for 500k ish. 

I like his movement, pace, and anticipation but you can see a guy who also needs technical skill refining (first touch, body positioning set up for shielding, etc.); he would be one to watch with Minny for the Leagues Cup and the rest of the MLS season to see if he can continue with his impressive first half of the year performances.