Tani Oluwaseyi

Shway

Posted (edited)

Latest words from him indicated it’s whoever calls him first as I alluded to earlier in this thread. I doubt he’s delusional to think that Nigeria will come calling and would specifically hold out for them. Just look at this list, these are just some of the guys ahead of him. Filter doesn’t include wingers like Tella and Lookman who can play ST and dual nats like Chuba Akpom and Elijah Adebayo who they would surely prioritise over an MLSer. There’s also some other STs in top five leagues that I couldn’t fit into the screenshot who also don’t get called up by Nigeria. This is not anywhere near a dual national battle for me ATMIMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.f7bfd179303c89dbb1d214dab3312a1f.jpeg

Edited by Atlantic

For their WCQs this window, Nigeria called up forwards Osimhen, Lookman, Boniface, Tella, Chukwueze, Onauchu, Iheanacho & Moffi. 

Of the 100+ replies to the announcement on X, no one was wondering why Oluwaseyi wasn't selected.

Osimhen is now out for 4 weeks and was replaced by a left back. Tella has excused himself for personal reasons and was replaced by Ibrahim Olawoyin playing in Turkey. 

Posted (edited)

Amazing news.  I saw Dayne posted the following on his Instagram story and was wondering if there was any connection.  For those that can’t see the story, it’s a pic posted by Dayne of him and Tani with the caption

“Proud of my guy 🍁 🫡 “ - Posted 9 hours ago so looks like he unofficially broke the news.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/saintc17/3382061543615151299?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MW9kbnl3d2EzdXQy

Edited by Corazon

Posted (edited)

Fantastic this! 

Doesn't cap tie but to get him involved and integrated is smart. He is red hot right now. Good time to check him out, even if we didn't really need another striker in this camp. Excited.

Edit: Also wonder if we heard Nigeria were sniffing around this week and we have been proactive.

Edited by toontownman

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Fantastic this! 

Doesn't cap tie but to get him involved and integrated is smart. He is red hot right now. Good time to check him out, even if we didn't really need another striker in this camp. Excited.

Edit: Also wonder if we heard Nigeria were sniffing around this week and we have been proactive.

I wonder if someone is injured 

Maybe it was a clearance issue, although if so you'd think they'd have mentioned it. Either way, stoked to have him on board. I was getting the feeling the Super Eagles may soon start sniffing as they cap a LOT of forwards that never get more than a cup of coffee in the long run. So, I am glad we brought him into camp now. No point in waiting much longer...

With Tani now seemingly a Canadian player, let's take a look now at the non-David/Larin forward options:

-Ugbo

-Bair

-Tani

-Russell-Rowe

-Bair (more of a hybrid wing/fwd..)

-Kerr

There is some real competition here. Imagine now if Akinola hadn't fell off...

Where would Jebbison rank in this pile? Top? Middle? Bottom? Will be interesting to see....

Just now, MauditYvon said:

Probably 8th. We have no time or space for this guy.

Crazy to say that but it could be the reality unless he puts up some impressive numbers in the Championship. Doubt he'll be the main striker for a Sheffield United side with aspirations to bounce back up. I am sure he'll get a chance and could earn that role and have a massive year, but it's hard to see right now. Without doing that, I don't see how we call him over anyone else, unless it's a super fringe squad.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Crazy to say that but it could be the reality unless he puts up some impressive numbers in the Championship. Doubt he'll be the main striker for a Sheffield United side with aspirations to bounce back up. I am sure he'll get a chance and could earn that role and have a massive year, but it's hard to see right now. Without doing that, I don't see how we call him over anyone else, unless it's a super fringe squad.

I don't think you can say either way. 

He's rightly down the list right now but lots of people are on streaks above him.  

He has the physicality to interest a lot of people at very decent levels and he has shown finishing at times.  (We should be interested in someone who scored 8 in 22 at League One level when 18 years old.)  It's not like he has had a lot of chances and hasn't scored at other times. 

He has had bad luck with striker depth and obviously health.  

Making a crucial decision now, but nice to see he is not being bullied in signing something quickly. 

Jebbison should still be a priority, at least until he’s proven that he’s not the guy we thought he was. If he has a strong season with Sheffield next year, what does a great performance from a 21 year old in the championship mean to us? Kone had one himself and he’s seen as the heir apparent of our entire national program. 

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Easy to forget he’s still only 20. As soon as Canada comes calling again he can’t afford to pass it up if he has any aspirations to play in the World Cup. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't think you can say either way. 

He's rightly down the list right now but lots of people are on streaks above him.  

He has the physicality to interest a lot of people at very decent levels and he has shown finishing at times.  (We should be interested in someone who scored 8 in 22 at League One level when 18 years old.)  It's not like he has had a lot of chances and hasn't scored at other times. 

He has had bad luck with striker depth and obviously health.  

Making a crucial decision now, but nice to see he is not being bullied in signing something quickly. 

Agree with this 100%.  He is a guy who some have said has EPL potential.  We can’t afford to dismiss that because we have some other young guys who are doing well and/or showing promise.

None of this means that he somehow leapfrogs those guys that are currently performing in competitive environments just on the basis of his potential - but we should (and I believe would) try to make space for this guy if he starts performing well in the Championship (or at a higher level).  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agree with this 100%.  He is a guy who some have said has EPL potential.  We can’t afford to dismiss that because we have some other young guys who are doing well and/or showing promise.

None of this means that he somehow leapfrogs those guys that are currently performing in competitive environments just on the basis of his potential - but we should (and I believe would) try to make space for this guy if he starts performing well in the Championship (or at a higher level).  

To be cynical a bit as well.

He is easily young enough for England's 2025 U21 Euros squad.

If he starts banging them in the Championship, they certainly would take a look.

If we think he has that potential, (some teams seem to) we need to keep close contact with him.