What Stadium Do You Want as the Next Host?

Shway

Make Your Pick  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Venue Choices

41 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Winnipeg got a WCQ match versus Panama in 2000.  it was at the pan am games facility that was used for soccer but was later demolished from what i recall. I wasnt there but from what recall the game was well attended.  i dont know why they never went back  now that there is a new stadium with Fifa turf

Wasn't demolished, it's still there. The added seating for the Pan-am games were dismantled shortly after. 3 games were held there in 2000. The matches all sold really well and to a very pro Canada crowd. The first 2 games (Cuba and Honduras) were well attended, the last game had a lot of no shows as the Team were already eliminated and it was brutal weather.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wanderers Grounds 

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

Could Ottawa be a player for a CNL minnow game??  

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Tier 3: Suriname, Curaçao, Martinique, or Grenada. 

Game vs a small opponent (any of these) would be perfect for Wanderers Grounds. 

I hear a lot of people saying "spread the games out". I get that, but as long as a game gets within a 2 hour flight, I think we should consider them, spread out. Between Edmonton and Toronto they have done well to meet that goal.

(But I'll take Halifax for a future game)

27 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Like who was the genius who decided to build a stadium in this day and age and decided to put permanent football lines in that stadium? I realize that stadium doesn’t get built if it wasn’t for the CFL team , but when your only guaranteed 10 or so games a year in a stadium ,  wouldn’t you want to put in a turf without permanent lines so you have the possibility to host other sporting events?  That’s one of the nicer looking stadiums not your typical open two sided stadiums that they love to build here in Canada , it’s too bad they put in a turf with permanent lines .

A couple of things.  Contrary to a couple of misguided posters here who have called me a CFL troll, I am on record (in this forum) of disagreeing with the installation of a permanently lined artificial turf in Regina and that was before it was even installed, when the news got out that it would have permanent markings.

This thing about "typical open two sided stadiums that they love to build here in Canada" is totally invalid.  Aside from a few hundred soccer zealots, end of stadium seats are the least desirable and most difficult to sell (for most events), so why have them?  The trend now is to have a type of end zone roving party deck instead of either end zone seats or an empty space.

At the time I had questioned why they would do what they did in Regina and the best answer I got was that they really had no desire to have soccer events, not so much being against them but not particularly "for" them.  That made me wonder why soccer lines were put in with the football lines (the worst of both worlds)

I also would assume there would be a cost element to it, (cheaper to maintain).  Also, this myth about 10 games a year, stadiums in Canada are mostly civic owned rather than many in the US being privately owned.  No one in Canada is going to fund $200 million or more for something that won't be available publicly and more than ten times a year.

Frankly, I don't think the decision has been an issue, there doesn't seem to have been a local public outcry.  But having said that I do still disagree with what they did but now as the AT is nudging past middle age (5 1/2 years) hopefully people will make the case to have a "neutral" field installed when this one is replaced.

8 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

Mosaic isn't a fit for the world cup qualifying window, but a friendly at some point would be brilliant.  The stadium is sunk in sheltered from the elements.  The jumbotron is absolutely massive.  It wasn't in either these photos.  The one end also has a standing only section called Pil country that would be great for the attacking end second half.  The amenities are great and so are the sight lines.  I still remember the first time I stepped into this stadium.  Chills.

xGRWNs2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

This thing about "typical open two sided stadiums that they love to build here in Canada" is totally invalid.  Aside from a few hundred soccer zealots, end of stadium seats are the least desirable and most difficult to sell (for most events), so why have them?  The trend now is to have a type of end zone roving party deck instead of either end zone seats or an empty space.

I've seen you mention this a few times when defending our open-ended minimal intimacy stadiums, but I still don't see anywhere this is really done outside of Canada for proper larger scale stadiums. All the new MLS and NFL stadiums as well as all nice football stadiums in Europe have end zone seating. Sure some might also have a party deck or something maybe on one side, but I never see double open-ended stadiums with zero permanent seating like we often do in Canada. I think that even within Canada, the two of our most recent examples we have in Winnipeg and Regina have moved away from this double open-ended less appealing design (but maybe more bang for your construction buck). 

I love stadium architecture, so if this is in fact a trend outside of Canada I'd love to see that 🙏

EDIT: I see you just posted an example of one end zone in Regina above. Thx.

Edited by grigorio

I am saying it pertains to Canada not outside of Canada and am referring to football not soccer which is the primary reason (and tenant) why these stadiums were built.  Also this open ended myth, the only "open ended" stadium I can think of is McMahon in Calgary which doesn't seem to have decks or seating on either end.  And depending on how it is configured now, Molson in Montreal has end zone seating.  Where are these open ended" stadiums?

14 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I am saying it pertains to Canada not outside of Canada and am referring to football not soccer which is the primary reason (and tenant) why these stadiums were built.  Also this open ended myth, the only "open ended" stadium I can think of is McMahon in Calgary which doesn't seem to have decks or seating on either end.  And depending on how it is configured now, Molson in Montreal has end zone seating.  Where are these open ended" stadiums?

The one we are about to play in ?

17 minutes ago, admin said:

I still think there is a way for the CSA to sell the one end that would bridge the two sides of the Vs section . For Ticats games the front of the two levels of the section are sold as assigned seats, It is bar rail with seats. 

33 minutes ago, admin said:

CFL is played on a very large field, extremely so. About 28 metres longer than a US football field. Making endzones impractical for fixed seating for other sports like soccer, whereas the US stadiums do not have to be adjusted as severely.

But I do agree that not putting in some temporary endzone seating where you could, ie at Hamilton, is a bit of a shame. 

I believe only BC Place has a properly configured seating set-up where they take sections of seating out and the end zone front seat for CFL is well above the field, and actually a decent seat. Where the stadium looks right for both sports.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

CFL is played on a very large field, extremely so. About 28 metres longer than a US football field. Making endzones impractical for fixed seating for other sports like soccer, whereas the US stadiums do not have to be adjusted as severely.

But I do agree that not putting in some temporary endzone seating where you could, ie at Hamilton, is a bit of a shame. 

I believe only BC Place has a properly configured seating set-up where they take sections of seating out and the end zone front seat for CFL is well above the field, and actually a decent seat. Where the stadium looks right for both sports.

They can't put seats in, Possibly on the large concourse on one side, that could/might happen.

But they can't put seats in that come down to, or start in the end zones.  Temp seats can't touch field level. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The south end of BMO Field is also like this.

The first six rows are removable to accommodate the CFL end zone.

26 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Talk about a coinky-dink.  While I was posting about the RC possibly being converted to turf (the plan fell by the wayside) I got to thinking about the roof being replaced, perhaps being translucent.

The I just found this, posted today: "The project cost is estimated at $200 million to $250 million for an extensive makeover, sources said. There is no timeline for when construction would start."

Blue Jays decide to upgrade Rogers Centre
Don Muret venuesnow.com December 21, 2021

4 hours ago, Califax said:

Game vs a small opponent (any of these) would be perfect for Wanderers Grounds. 

I hear a lot of people saying "spread the games out". I get that, but as long as a game gets within a 2 hour flight, I think we should consider them, spread out. Between Edmonton and Toronto they have done well to meet that goal.

(But I'll take Halifax for a future game)

Sorry for the ignorance, but what stadium in Halifax could be used?  Do they have a good enough one for a decent sized capacity?  I don’t care for the CFL much anymore but I’ve always thought it would be great to see Halifax get a football team. 

42 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what stadium in Halifax could be used?  Do they have a good enough one for a decent sized capacity?  I don’t care for the CFL much anymore but I’ve always thought it would be great to see Halifax get a football team. 

Wanderers CPL field. Holds 6.5k, could get that to 10 at most. 

I mean I should have couched my words better. Before Iceteca, before Davies wonder goal, before leading the table, it was a solid option to have a grass field away, a partisan crowd, for a game that would usually only get 12k in Toronto. It would have been a place to host small countries. Had we gone through that weird pre-octagon qualifying tournament that they were pitching. 

This Canada team has most certainly outgrown it now and for the foreseeable future. 

I figure we get a womens game eventually though. 

21 minutes ago, Califax said:

Wanderers CPL field. Holds 6.5k, could get that to 10 at most. 

I mean I should have couched my words better. Before Iceteca, before Davies wonder goal, before leading the table, it was a solid option to have a grass field away, a partisan crowd, for a game that would usually only get 12k in Toronto. It would have been a place to host small countries. Had we gone through that weird pre-octagon qualifying tournament that they were pitching. 

This Canada team has most certainly outgrown it now and for the foreseeable future. 

I figure we get a womens game eventually though. 

Love Wanderers grounds, but I totally agree: the Men's Team has fully outgrown it. Having said that, Halifax as a city is truly the perfect host for a National team game. Such a great spot to visit as a tourist as well. I've heard they're expanding the stands by filling in corner seating this summer adding about 1.5 to the already 6.5k capacity. After that, not entirely sure where you could squeeze another 4k seating to get to that 12k number you'd figure for a game against say Aruba. The grounds are situated quite literally in the centre of the city, so to add another grand stand for even temporary capacity could really stress the facilities, operations of the grounds, and surrounding areas with traffic volumes. 

A logistical nightmare maybe, but it sure is fun to dream. I don't think Canada will be looking at a stadium for under 25-30k for a while now. if anything now, we might need to start adding those expansions anticipated before WC2026 sooner given demand especially in the lead up to this world cup, and if successful, after Qatar for friendlies or Nations Leagues. With the increasing success, comes increasing demand. So far we've seen countless examples of CSA not dealing with growth very well, so I hope In regards to capacity and ticket demands increasing, CSA can get on top of that going forward, and help create the most appropriate atmospheres possible

14 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

A logistical nightmare maybe, but it sure is fun to dream. I don't think Canada will be looking at a stadium for under 25-30k for a while now.

I still believe much depends on the nature of the game, the quality of the opponent, and who is available to play for us in that particular match, all of which having an influence at the gate in some locales.  

For 2022, I really believe any home fixtures that will happen after WCQ featuring the A list Euro contingent will be on grass in Toronto or Montreal.   And (really getting ahead of ourselves here), any fall windows free of CNL matches may more likely be Euro based friendlies as prep for Qatar.

That p.r. kind of tour which Herdman wants to avoid right now during WCQ is more likely to happen in 2023 and beyond, where you might see us dress more "prospects" heavy sides vs lesser opponents in friendlies, so the CSA might want to highlight smaller CPL venues for such matches.

Dang, I should have read the OP before I voted as I thought it was for the March WCQ. 

The good CPL venues (Langford, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax) should all be getting some attention. I didn't include Hamilton in my list because it's already getting a game. I'll echo what another poster said about Langford getting a game as a make up for the 2 that got cancelled in March 2020.

11 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Dang, I should have read the OP before I voted as I thought it was for the March WCQ. 

The good CPL venues (Langford, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax) should all be getting some attention. I didn't include Hamilton in my list because it's already getting a game. I'll echo what another poster said about Langford getting a game as a make up for the 2 that got cancelled in March 2020.

Yeah, me too.