Sondre Solholm

Atlantic

1 minute ago, Matro25 said:

He should be a no brainer for January right? If he's got the paperwork we need to get him in at least for the friendly. Cap tie him into the system and pick him up in March if we run into some injury problems. 

Away in Honduras and El Salvador could be a shock but he'd probably feel right at home playing in Hamilton in January. 

Link to the documentary in YouTube:

1) His link to Canada is through his mother's mother ( maternal grandmother ). As long as his maternal grandmother was born in Canada, we're good!

2) His grandmother's brother wrote this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Over-Wire-Canadian-Pilots-Survival/dp/1118109686/

3) No one-time-switch needed as he has never played for another country

4) To attend Camp Poutine, he would need to skip Motherwell's match against Championship side Greenock Morton ( 2nd tier ) . I hope the CSA quickly helps him get a passport!

Also off topic a bit but I was checking Norway CB charts and its arguable Sondre wouldn't make their top 10 list.

And this is Norway we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, he's definitely good enough for Herdman's squad, but my goodness are we really behind in that department...

Either Johnston and Miller are not rated highly enough, or they are massively overachieving when they play for the national team.

6 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

Also off topic a bit but I was checking Norway CB charts and its arguable Sondre wouldn't make their top 10 list.

And this is Norway we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, he's definitely good enough for Herdman's squad, but my goodness are we really behind in that department...

Either Johnston and Miller are not rated highly enough, or they are massively overachieving when they play for the national team.

I really don't get this, just because Norway have good CB depth the performances of Johnston and Miller against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, etc are just overperformances?

The major problem with our CB options is our depth. After Johnston, Miller, Vitoria, Kennedy (when healthy), there is a drop off to Henry, Cornelius, James, Waterman, and now Solholm. After that there is only CPL level defenders left. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seems like a very good depth option that could work his way into the team. He's still a good age as well, being 26 years old. 

January may come too soon, but maybe the March window could be his time. 

I wonder if he found out his eligibility on his own, or the CSA contacted him. I assume it's the latter.

I'm very curious as to how CSA would have gotten that information about his grandfather being a pilot. That's some next level scouting 😂

22 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

I really don't get this, just because Norway have good CB depth the performances of Johnston and Miller against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, etc are just overperformances?

The major problem with our CB options is our depth. After Johnston, Miller, Vitoria, Kennedy (when healthy), there is a drop off to Henry, Cornelius, James, Waterman, and now Solholm. After that there is only CPL level defenders left. 

Not saying that's the case, I laid out the 2 scenarios, which I believe its more likely that MLS defenders are massively underrated.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Link to the documentary in YouTube:

1) His link to Canada is through his mother's mother ( maternal grandmother ). As long as his maternal grandmother was born in Canada, we're good!

From the GTA

Am I the only one who feels the slightest bit uncomfortable with the kind of roster building where guys with the most tenuous connections to Canada are signing on because the team is finally good? I get it that this is what international football is now, but I remember complaining about it when these sorts of decisions didn't go our way. Is it wrong that I'd prefer to have a guy from Regina or Brampton?

33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Am I the only one who feels the slightest bit uncomfortable with the kind of roster building where guys with the most tenuous connections to Canada are signing on because the team is finally good? I get it that this is what international football is now, but I remember complaining about it when these sorts of decisions didn't go our way. Is it wrong that I'd prefer to have a guy from Regina or Brampton?

I have zero issue with it but I am open to hear the arguments againt.

Really, what difference does it make - without getting into a debate about "pure laine" Canadians?

Edited by PastPros