January 2022 Under-20 Camp

VinceA

I would add Hugo Mbongue and Jesse Costa. We don't have many CF's in this group and Hugo has been very good for Canada's u15s in the past I could see him being invited. Also Jesse Costa is a prime example of the benefit of having youth camps this is the time to integrate these players, Justin Smith also fits in this category. I would add Shawn Van Yaden as well, Japanese-Canadian dual who is a CB I've never watched him play but we are a bit thin at this position.

3 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

I would add Hugo Mbongue and Jesse Costa. We don't have many CF's in this group and Hugo has been very good for Canada's u15s in the past I could see him being invited. Also Jesse Costa is a prime example of the benefit of having youth camps this is the time to integrate these players, Justin Smith also fits in this category. I would add Shawn Van Yaden as well, Japanese-Canadian dual who is a CB I've never watched him play but we are a bit thin at this position.

Smith is there. You could add Hugo, he just hasn't had many minutes last season. I didn't add Jesse Costa just because he is playing with u17s, although he is one of the only players that can plays some defensive midfield. There really isn't many options for CB, Shawn Van Yaden is a good shout.

9 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Forge

32 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

Could look something like this.

discord later.JPG

Forge has a number of guys who could get called up. Johnny Son and Santiago Frias. Not to mention two guys they sent to college after appearing for them, Robbie Cleary, a FW, and Santiago Frias, a CB.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

What is the rationale for inclusion? (Honest question)

Why no Nelson (19)?  

2003-2004 is the U20 cycle.

At this point because of the change in rules our 01s and 02s will only get youth football if Canada gets to the OLY.

3 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

Smith is there. You could add Hugo, he just hasn't had many minutes last season. I didn't add Jesse Costa just because he is playing with u17s, although he is one of the only players that can plays some defensive midfield. There really isn't many options for CB, Shawn Van Yaden is a good shout.

Canada tends to call players with a past history, which is why I mentioned Hugo although the past two years have seen an explosion of youth talent in Europe so this time it may be a bit different. Costa has amazing vision I think he's good enough for a 26 man squad at this level, I watched a game of his with the Pro Stars vs TFC Academy in 2020 and he was very good on the ball. As @VinceA mentioned Frias is a good shout as a CB 

1 hour ago, Xavier. said:

Could look something like this.

discord later.JPG

Can add the kid who trialled with Brugge/Bayern U19s this year, Dieu Merci Michel.

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Forge has a number of guys who could get called up. Johnny Son and Santiago Frias. Not to mention two guys they sent to college after appearing for them, Robbie Cleary, a FW, and Santiago Frias, a CB.

If someone gets called from Forge, I'd assume it to be Castello.

11 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Atanasov with a few minutes in the Bulgarian league over Habibullah who plays Whitecaps and was a standout for our U17's in a world cup!? 😅

The U17 WC was two years ago. Also its just a depth chart I wouldn't read much into it. Atansov is also in form and playing while Habibullah hasn't seen the pitch in a while.

This is all moot though if there's not game and its just a training camp.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

How’s Priso recovery doing, I would figure a guy like him would be captain of this team.

Edit: disregard, he’s a 2002.

This is basically listing anyone who’s professional.

Which is a big step up from past years where we'd rely on guys still in academies and college players. at most the college guys who could get called up will have played in pro environments, which is a plus.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Kooner and Rea are too old for this cycle, both 2002.

Giraldo should be on the team but no one knows where his health is at. Sounds like whatever his issue is its more than just a usual thing.

Yea he missed the whole season.

Meant Saliba, apparently he’s one to watch, jay herdman and I think It’s Francis from the whitecaps could be there, Herdman trained with them last year and is likely close.

5 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Atanasov with a few minutes in the Bulgarian league over Habibullah who plays Whitecaps and was a standout for our U17's in a world cup!? 😅

It's probably recency bias but Atanasov is good. He's gotten minutes in the last 3 games in a row and has shown some flashes. Playing in the Bulgarian league at 17 isn't easy, in comparison Yankov only got his first start when he was 18. Here's a look https://streamable.com/0g7bvf.

Also you mention Atanasov having "few minutes", then go on about Habibullah playing for the Whitecaps without mentioning that he also has few minutes, but I guess thanks for nitpicking and laughing at my quick 23 man squad of what it could look like. 

2 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

It's probably recency bias but Atanasov is good. He's gotten minutes in the last 3 games in a row and has shown some flashes. Playing in the Bulgarian league at 17 isn't easy, in comparison Yankov only got his first start when he was 18. Here's a look https://streamable.com/0g7bvf.

Also you mention Atanasov having "few minutes", then go on about Habibullah playing for the Whitecaps without mentioning that he also has few minutes, but I guess thanks for nitpicking and laughing at my quick 23 man squad of what it could look like. 

Not at all making fun of your list so sorry for that!

I'm aware of Atanasov, I'm very familiar with the level.  I know Yankov well (Can see my old posts).  There's also another in Bulgaria (Dimitrov).  I think extremely highly of Habibullah, I don't think people realize the player he is but I guess in time..  

2 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I'm aware of Atanasov, I'm very familiar with the level.  I know Yankov well (Can see my old posts).  There's also another in Bulgaria (Dimitrov).  I think extremely highly of Habibullah, I don't think people realize the player he is but I guess in time..  

The whitecaps at the time they sold Davies saw him as a 5 star prospect, not sure what the new group thinks ? He needs to play though.

10 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Yea I definitely need to watch more Habibullah, I was a pretty casual soccer fan until covid, haven't gotten the chance to watch him much. What kind of minutes do you expect him to get this year?