General MLS Talk 2022

Big_M

Someone did the grunt work to list all the homegrown players signed by each MLS team on wikipedia. Below are the Canadian teams.

CFM have signed 22: 2 regulars last year in 23. 1 with Whitecaps. 4 with CPL. 1 in USL and 1 in Malta. 7 in the pipeline yet to really play in MLS.

TFC have signed 27: 8 were on/off last year in in 23 (no regulars). 2 with other MLS teams last year. 4 with CPL. 2 in Europe. 1 in Asia last year. 1 in pipeline yet to play in MLS.

Whitecaps have signed 23: 1 regular & 3 were on/off last year in 23. 4 with CPL. 1 was in USL last year. 5 in Europe. 2 in Africa. 2 in pipeline yet to play in MLS.

TFC has most players with signs ready to play regularly in MLS while CFM has most yet to play. Whitecaps have had biggest wins with Davies & Akedugbe. TFC's big win is Henry while CFM has Crepeau.

Based on last year, TFC has 3 national team players (Henry, Fraser, Akinola), Whitecaps (Davies & Akedugbe) & CFM (Crepeau & Pantemis) have 2 each.

Overall Canada caps, Whitecaps have 10 players, TFC have 9 & CFM have 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homegrown_Player_Rule_(Major_League_Soccer)

Bolded players have had Canada caps. Players in red have no wiki.

Raheem Edwards was classified as homegrown but never signed a contract identifying them as homegrown per MLS roster rules.

IMFC.jpg

TFC.jpg

WC.jpg

Edited by red card

NYCFC lands Dude Wipes as sleeve sponsor. They basically call NYCFC fans smelly.

There’s an edginess to the Dude Wipes brand that when you combine that with the way in which people live their lives in New York City -- especially as we enter into the summer where anybody that’s lived in the city understands what it means to commute or get on subways -- we love the notion of the freshness that this brand can provide our fans. ... It’s just a really good fit.”

https://bit.ly/3JlugiZ

But at least it's better than NE rugby who have the Dude Wipes logo on their ass.

NE rugby: There’s no better placement in all of sports than to have their logo featured on the back of our shorts. 

IMG_0691-copy.jpg

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

I heard DAZN Spain had picked up MLS, but now I saw the first weekend schedule: 5 games live, but no Canadian teams involved matchday 1. Still, I will get to watch when I haven't been able to for a few seasons. 

Would an MLS TV deal ever differentiate between a match in the US and one in Canada? Would not think so.

I only watch Canadian teams, and then, maybe, some with Canadians and the few Spanish players I follow (Ilie Sánchez, my kid played for the same youth club).

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I heard DAZN Spain had picked up MLS, but now I saw the first weekend schedule: 5 games live, but no Canadian teams involved matchday 1. Still, I will get to watch when I haven't been able to for a few seasons. 

Would an MLS TV deal ever differentiate between a match in the US and one in Canada? Would not think so.

I only watch Canadian teams, and then, maybe, some with Canadians and the few Spanish players I follow (Ilie Sánchez, my kid played for the same youth club).

Maybe not all games are produced in Spanish. Maybe they will only show those ones.

New rules for player movement between first team and affiliate

In addition, a club may roster up to four players on Short-Term Call Ups per MLS League Season match so long as they are Homegrown Players or Players earning less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary ($84,000) with the affiliate. International Player limits still apply. This number will be reduced to one per League Season match after Roster Freeze (inclusive of MLS Cup Playoffs).

Loan of a Player by MLS to Affiliate Club (MLS NEXT Pro / USL)
All loans from MLS clubs to its affiliates must be free (i.e., no loan fees paid by MLS NEXT Pro / USL affiliate clubs).
If an MLS player is loaned to an affiliate, such a player may not be paid more than the player's Salary Budget Charge without that compensation being captured on the MLS club's Salary Budget (including, but not limited to, performance bonus compensation).
An MLS club can receive roster relief and budget relief for a maximum of one player loaned to its MLS NEXT Pro or USL affiliate or a lower-division club in the U.S. or Canada; provided, however, that:
The player is under the age of 25 (i.e., he does not turn 25 prior to the end of the calendar year);
The player's Salary Budget Charge is less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary (including any loan fees, transfer fees, agent fees, housing, car, etc.); and
The loan must be a season-long free loan;
The player has not appeared on a gameday roster for the MLS Club as of the beginning of the applicable loanee club’s season; and
The loan of the player to the loanee club must last for the remaining duration of the entire loanee club’s season; provided, however, that such a player may be recalled to his MLS club in the case of Extreme Hardship.

One day away from season kickoff its time to predict who will make playoffs from each conference in no specific order

East
Atlanta
Orlando
NYCFC
Red Bulls
Philadelphia
New England
Cincinnati

West
Vancouver
SKC
Minnesota