TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, mtroads said:

Great to hear that the club helped him through a tough situation. Always easy to forget that these guys are human and a lot of them are living far away from their families.

Nice that it can end positively, although I suspect if he'd been lighting it up on the pitch it would have been less necessary to go back to his family.

shaffelburg was bad...bad passes and crosses...didnt make a case for himself...you could see the quality of criscito right away with passes shot decision making quick plays...these players take way too many touches at this level...gotta learn to play it right away when theres an option instead of taking an extra 4-5 touches and then passing it

I think it is great that the young Canadians have got so many minutes and that should serve the team well when all of the imports are finally playing as I am sure they will be need to be rested at times in a hectic MLS schedule! I am generalizing when I say the kids have shown some good promise and at other times looked naive, I am pleased they are getting a chance! Tonight was always going to be tough for whoever was on the field for TFC chasing a match two goals down early on the road!

Two things.  First, is anyone else getting deathly sick of giving up a goal inside the first ten minutes?  Is it perhaps just possible we could try not starting the game in a hole for once?

Second, Mavinga.  Why is he still on this team?  $1 million?  Play Chung.  Play MacNaughton.  Call up some kid from TFC II.  Heck, sign me for a fraction of the cost.  None of us will be any worse than Mavinga.

Mavinga apologized to the fans last night via twitter, saying he has been going through some tough times off the field with his family which has affected his play.

Bradley Sr. admitted that they are very thin at CB right now, unfortunately no-one asked him about a certain Canadian national team CB who is currently without a club as a possible option.

Doesn't O'Neill get some of the blame on the goals as well? With only 2 CDs, he gave no support. On the first goal, he passed the ball and then moved up the field, despite Mavinga being the last one back. On the second, he's almost at the touchline and lets the ball go around him. There was no real support from the fullbacks on either goal as well.

It is unfortunate for Mavinga that he is having some personal issues and good on him not to hide from it, this being the case I think BB should have started McNaughton from the get go, I hope things work out for Mavinga but that is a huge hole at CB for this team right now!

How long have we been calling for TFC to upgrade their CBs.. 5+ yrs??. It's a position that has been completely neglected. Mavinga was decent when he first signed but he's been either injured or poor for several seasons now. A big issue for TFC has been poor passing/giveaways or to use a tennis term "unforced errors". As a result the team is under constant pressure defensively and cannot sustain possession when on attack.

Great signing. I heard people saying he fell off the radar at Juve but he's still young and unless there was an injury in the last 3 years that I am unaware of, he can regain that quality that got him signed to Juve from Fiorentina a few years back.

22 hours ago, Kadenge said:

How long have we been calling for TFC to upgrade their CBs.. 5+ yrs??. It's a position that has been completely neglected. Mavinga was decent when he first signed but he's been either injured or poor for several seasons now. A big issue for TFC has been poor passing/giveaways or to use a tennis term "unforced errors". As a result the team is under constant pressure defensively and cannot sustain possession when on attack.

And the keeping hasn't bailed them out enough, either.  That's an area they needed to upgrade at the end of last year.  

Toronto in the DP era has always been willing to take big swings at big players. They've even been successful more often than not. The difference between the good Toronto years and the bad ones, or between most good and bad MLS teams, is getting things right in the middle of the roster. Lesser paid but important players like Morrow, Beitashour, Moor, Delgado, etc. were a big part of some successful MLS teams. In dry years guys like this have been few and far between in the squad.

40 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There has already been a huge increase in Italian national team jerseys in the stands since July started, I might be one of the few people wearing red for the next match at the rate this is going

Well they won't be wearing those jerseys during the World Cup or haven't they heard the news...

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Not every country can have a NT like Canada, that actually qualifies for the World Cup.  It's okay - Italy is still a reasonable side.

With the increase in WC qualification spots for Concacaf there is a very good chance that Canada will/should qualify for every WC going forward. Yup Italy is still a powerhouse. It just  irks me that Canadians would wear Italian national team jerseys to a TFC game

Its the 35th minute in the first half.  What a contrast with TFC-Mtl encounters of past years,  I cant ever recall a Tor-Mtl matchup where TFC have ever looked this underwhelming.  Usually its TFC playing on the front foot in these matchups.  Its was always TFC owning the midfield and controlling the game and Montreal looking for counter punch opportunities.   Tonight its Montreal showing quality and TFC just sitting back there unable to string anything together and just hanging on for dear life; playing like a second division club.    If Montreal wasn't so wasteful, the score might already be out of reach. 

PS EDIT.:  I am not sure Insigne alone would have been enough to right this ship.  

Edited by Free kick