TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Insigne-Belotti-Bernardeschi is potentially doable as a forward line in a 4-3-3 if this Salcedo thing is for real.

Are the Belotti rumours back on? Haven't heard anything about them in months.

40 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Apparently being reported in a Greek newspaper:

I think that's a good move for Salcedo, if not surprising given the talk about being shopped to Liga MX to be close to family. Seems like there was a family matter and that somehow got merged and conflated with Toronto shopping him. Maybe the two things were not related. Anyways, playing for AEK Athens may get him back into the Mexican NT.

40 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not any less torn about this as I was yesterday. I can't shake the feeling it's a mistake.

Now if Bernardeschi actually signs it's definitely an upgrade on paper, and to be fair Pozuelo has definitely been subpar relative to his 2019 exploits, but when he's on he's excellent. I still believe he is the same player won MLS MVP, he's just not showing it. How long do you wait for him to turn it around though? I don't blame the club, I just hate to depart with such a talented player who genuinely seemed to love playing for Toronto (perhaps until this season).

Anyways, he's gone. I'll have to get use to it and hope Bernardeschi lives up to his reputation. I bet Pozuelo has a revival in Miami. Good luck, Poz!

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Are the Belotti rumours back on? Haven't heard anything about them in months.

I think that's a good move for Salcedo, if not surprising given the talk about being shopped to Liga MX to be close to family. Seems like there was a family matter and that somehow got merged and conflated with Toronto shopping him. Maybe the two things were not related. Anyways, playing for AEK Athens may get him back into the Mexican NT.

I am not any less torn about this as I was yesterday. I can't shake the feeling it's a mistake.

Now if Bernardeschi actually signs it's definitely an upgrade on paper, and to be fair Pozuelo has definitely been subpar relative to his 2019 exploits, but when he's on he's excellent. I still believe he is the same player won MLS MVP, he's just not showing it. How long do you wait for him to turn it around though? I don't blame the club, I just hate to depart with such a talented player who genuinely seemed to love playing for Toronto (perhaps until this season).

Anyways, he's gone. I'll have to get use to it and hope Bernardeschi lives up to his reputation. I bet Pozuelo has a revival in Miami. Good luck, Poz!

Belotti false.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I thought it was reported in this thread a few pages back that Belotti was signing with Monaco?

As usual with transfer rumours they are all mostly bogus until the player is holding the jersey of his new team.

I think a day later Monaco denied the rumour

Well Belotti is a free agent and TFC appear to be clearing 2 DP spots. Maybe their plan (perhaps rightly) was to prioritize getting rid of the expiring DP contract (Poz had 6 months left), so that Bernardeschi can be wrapped up, then try and move Salcedo next (so they can approach Belotti. At least they have Jiminez and Akinola, so they are pretty stocked at the CF position, maybe to the point where Belotti isn't even a target?

At least if they move Salcedo they keep some powder dry for another big name DP. 

Also, I guess Toronto wasn't confident they could get Poz down to a TAM deal once his contract expired. It would be a bit of a gamble, but that would have been a major coup. He's gone though and now it's Miami's challenge to give him a new deal. He'll likely want DP money and quite frankly it may not be undeserved (hence moving him from Toronto, I guess).

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Apparently being reported in a Greek newspaper:

The joke here is the Mexican pictured is Carlos Salcido, the 42 year old fullback now retired.

Most Greek media is reporting that AEK is interested in another Mexican defender, Celta's Pineda, so who knows...

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

What reputation? In Italy this guy has no reputation left! Ever since he left Fiorentina, it has been 5 years of nothing but disappointment. Even though he was out of contract, the only Italian team linked with him was Napoli, and that is because they are looking for cheap options as they undergo major cost cutting.

As a regular watcher of both MLS and Serie A, going from Pozuelo to Bernardeschi is a downgrade.

Edited by masster

Just now, masster said:

What reputation? In Italy this guy has no reputation left! Ever since he left Fiorentina, it has been 5 years of nothing but disappointment. Even though he was out of contract, the only Italian team linked with him was Napoli, and that is because they are looking for cheap options as they undergo major cost cutting.

As I regular watcher of both MLS and Serie A, going from Pozuelo to Bernardeschi is a downgrade.

That's concerning. 

Any chance that the Insigne arrival will spurr a playoff push, has now gone out the window.  There are way too many changes  to realistically expect any kind of positive results this year.  I think that from now to end of year,  it will be like a preseason training camp.

this is the part I hate about the MLS big name signings.  You can never get them for the start of the season because of those transfer window rules 

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Metro said:

The joke here is the Mexican pictured is Carlos Salcido, the 42 year old fullback now retired.

Most Greek media is reporting that AEK is interested in another Mexican defender, Celta's Pineda, so who knows...

I was trying to figure out why Salcedo looked older with less hair lol

It's amazing that for many years TFC have not been able to upgrade/solidify their CB situation.  With Bradley way past his best there is no defensive cover for the CBs....and the play of the 2 keepers hasn't helped either. The team may be able to score goals with the new DPs  but can they outscore the opposition?

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Any chance that the Insigne arrival will spurr a playoff push, has now gone out the window.  There are way too many changes  to realistically expect any kind of positive results this year.  I think that from now to end of year,  it will be like a preseason training camp.

this is the part I hate about the MLS big name signings.  You can never get them for the start of the season because of those transfer window rules 

I would argue they already conceded that earlier by not even starting the season with a full roster.

They feel pretty safe though because a large portion of the fan base seem to be ok giving them time.