TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

39 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I didn't get to see the game, only the highlights (such as they were).  Why was Nelson's goal called back?

Initially thought it was because the ref thought he had possession and was fouled.  As a Whitecaps fan, it was a bad call.  VAR utterly failed here.  Fair result today probably would have been a tie, but the ref did screw TFC.

The Reds started 7 Canadians and subbed in an eighth. They played well. We were in it till a great header killed us. I am not a Bono fan, but I have to say he had a good game today too. They deserved a draw. Tough break. For those into the development of young Canadian players TFC is certainly giving them that right now, even if it is a bit of a trial by fire type of things. 

The replay of the Saturday match is on right now on TSN.   This is a good advertisement as to why you should never play televised games at BMO field at 3PM.   Its frustrating trying to follow the game on TV when half the field is covered in shade and it must be a nightmare for the production team.

Besides, how many Canadians at home watching television on Saturday at 3PM from May to September?

Edited by Free kick

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The replay of the Saturday match is on right now on TSN.   This is a good advertisement as to why you should never play televised games at BMO field at 3PM.   Its frustrating trying to follow the game on TV when half the field is covered in shade and it must be a nightmare for the production team.

Besides, how many Canadians at home watching television on Saturday at 3PM from May to September?

Not gonna lie. I sorta miss the early years Saturday 4pm starts.

Mostly for selfish reasons.

You could go to a game and still do other things at night 

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Not gonna lie. I sorta miss the early years Saturday 4pm starts.

Mostly for selfish reasons.

You could go to a game and still do other things at night 

I like the night games ( and hate the day games) for the exact same reasons.  Business' (eg.: retailers) are still open in the afternoon on Saturday, so if you have things to do and errands to run,  you can do it and then go to the game late in the evening.  

Plus commuting times are are much worst with the day games and that includes more crowded and congested transit and roads. Plus parking prices are jacked up.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

I like the night games ( and hate the day games) for the exact same reasons.  Business' (eg.: retailers) are still open in the afternoon on Saturday, so if you have things to do and errands to run,  you can do it and then go to the game late in the evening.  

Plus commuting times are are much worst with the day games and that includes more crowded and congested.  That includes public transit and by vehicle.  Plus parking prices are jacked up.

Oh man still can't believe Lamport had $2 parking for a few years

TFC Salaries released along with other MLS salaries:

• Toronto FC Auro D $400,000 $428,750
    Toronto FC Achara Ifunanyachi M $84,000 $84,000
    Toronto FC Akinola Ayo F $600,000 $671,875
    Toronto FC Bono Alex GK $525,000 $557,000
    Toronto FC Bradley Michael M $1,500,000 $1,500,000
    Toronto FC Chung Kadin D $65,500 $70,631
    Toronto FC Jiménez Jesús F-M $815,000 $934,927
    Toronto FC Kerr Deandre M-F $65,500 $70,819
    Toronto FC MacNaughton Lukas D $84,000 $86,100
    Toronto FC Marshall-Rutty Jahkeele F $130,000 $136,842
    Toronto FC Mavinga Chris D $1,000,000 $1,037,500
    Toronto FC Nelson Jayden F $130,000 $136,586
    Toronto FC O'Neill Shane D $320,000 $358,000
    Toronto FC Okello Noble M $115,000 $126,815
    Toronto FC Osorio Jonathan M $1,000,000 $1,026,250
    Toronto FC Perruzza Jordan F $84,000 $86,500
    Toronto FC Petrasso Luca D $65,500 $65,500
    Toronto FC Pozuelo Alejandro M $3,800,000 $4,693,000
    Toronto FC Priso--Mbongue Ralph M $85,444 $89,195
    Toronto FC Ranjitsingh Gregory GK $84,000 $89,167
    Toronto FC Salcedo Carlos D $2,200,000 $2,351,000
    Toronto FC Shaffelburg Jacob M-F $130,000 $136,500
    Toronto FC Singh Luke D $84,000 $91,966
    Toronto FC Thompson Kosi M $65,500 $70,760
    Toronto FC Westberg Quentin GK $300,000 $313,58
Edited by Gian-Luca

Based on the above, most of the Canadian players are underpaid and most of the non-Canadians are overpaid. In terms of the four CB, MacNaughton by far is the best value for money based on what we've seen to date. The salaries for Mavinga & Salcedo are not a surprise, but difficult to justify either figure so far this year. As for O'Neil, no way is he over four times better than MacNaughton (but his salary is).

Overall I’m happy with MacNaughton considering he’s playing a level up this year, but I just wish he was commanding in the air dealing with balls into the box… he’s a big guy, but doesn’t seem to be aggressive enough.  It’s obvious that Salcedo is just here to collect a paycheque… slow, little effort, zero leadership and plain bad.. so many chances come as he’s just too lazy to attempt to block a cross or deal with one coming into the box.  

23 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Overall I’m happy with MacNaughton considering he’s playing a level up this year, but I just wish he was commanding in the air dealing with balls into the box… he’s a big guy, but doesn’t seem to be aggressive enough.  It’s obvious that Salcedo is just here to collect a paycheque… slow, little effort, zero leadership and plain bad.. so many chances come as he’s just too lazy to attempt to block a cross or deal with one coming into the box.  

MacNaughton didn't look good on the first DC goal, but Salcedo and Thompson didn't exactly shine on the play either.  On the second goal, perhaps Thompson could have done better, but I would put that one on Bono.  Too tentative coming out.  

The only difference is McNaughton is moving up a level, just sorting things out, Salceido is a blanky blank DP.......A DP!!!   Brought in a fix the backline, help his defense partner, make Bono look good etc.  And 2 of the top 4 salaries on TFC are CB and we havnt had a clean sheet all season???  Sure they have gone cheap and young with the FB, but yiipers....I didnt think we would be leaking goals like this.  

Salcedo's salary is about 15 times that of MacNaughton and Thompson's combined. While I don't expect that he will be 15 times better than them combined, I do expect him to be considerably better than a guy who has just graduated to play at this level and a 19 year old rookie who is only playing right back instead of midfield because the first two choices for that spot are injured.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

The only difference is McNaughton is moving up a level, just sorting things out, Salceido is a blanky blank DP.......A DP!!!   Brought in a fix the backline, help his defense partner, make Bono look good etc.  And 2 of the top 4 salaries on TFC are CB and we havnt had a clean sheet all season???  Sure they have gone cheap and young with the FB, but yiipers....I didnt think we would be leaking goals like this.  

While I expected better from Salcedo, I am not too surprised because he's not known for being a lockdown defender. He is and always has been as far as I remember a ball playing center back. He's been at a high enough level that I did expect him to add defence to the defence, but it's not his fortay. 

Also, Bradley's LAFC teams were pretty leaky in general. They just outscored teams. We'll probably get a repeat of that when Insinge comes, but it's too late to salvage anything this season, I think.