TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

14 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

They should forget about wasting millions on Belotti.  Jimenez has been an excellent signing.  

Yes, and Akinola is getting healthy too.

I would say the biggest need Toronto needs right now is another holding midfielder.  Things got hairy when Osorio had to leave the game and there is really not anyone in the bench that can adequately replace him or Bradley (subject to Priso's and Okello's availability).

Edited by Metro

2 hours ago, Metro said:

Yes, and Akinola is getting healthy too.

I would say the biggest need Toronto needs right now is another holding midfielder.  Things got hairy when Osorio had to leave the game and there is really not anyone in the bench that can adequately replace him or Bradley (subject to Priso's and Okello's availability).

Was hoping to see Ayo get some sub minutes last night.  

On 4/17/2022 at 1:00 PM, jordan said:

Rumours coming from Will Forbes are not rumours.

What I was suggesting was it was Insigne or Belotti but not both. That means they were serious about it and it wasn't only a rumour. Just noticed this in my suggested reads on my phone though:

So maybe it is still on the table. They would need to be able to buy down Salcedo out of DP territory.

https://football-italia.net/belottis-future-unclear-between-serie-a-and-toronto-fc-interest/

...Belotti is also appreciated abroad, with Newcastle United and West Ham both reportedly interested in signing him. The most passionate foreign side, however, is Toronto FC, Lorenzo Insigne’s new club. They’ve been insistent for the 28-year-old for months now and he may be keen for the financial reward that likely awaits him.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What I was suggesting was it was Insigne or Belotti but not both. That means they were serious about it and it wasn't only a rumour. Just noticed this in my suggested reads on my phone though:

So maybe it is still on the table. They would need to be able to buy down Salcedo out of DP territory.

https://football-italia.net/belottis-future-unclear-between-serie-a-and-toronto-fc-interest/

...Belotti is also appreciated abroad, with Newcastle United and West Ham both reportedly interested in signing him. The most passionate foreign side, however, is Toronto FC, Lorenzo Insigne’s new club. They’ve been insistent for the 28-year-old for months now and he may be keen for the financial reward that likely awaits him.

If it was one or the other, one wouldn’t have been name dropped after the other. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:03 AM, jordan said:

9 Canadians last night.

Chung, Nelson, Osorio, Petrasso, Shaffelburg, Kerr, Thompson, Peruzza, MacNaughton 

I've been tracking the Canadian minutes.

Last year, TFC had a total of 8393 minutes all season or 247 minutes per game.  Almost half of those minutes were just Osorio and Laryea.

After just seven games this season, they are at 3206 minutes or 458 minutes per game.  So we're on pace for over 15 000 minutes.  There's a pretty good spread of minutes across a dozen different players, and that's with Akinola yet to play at all this season due to injury.

The best part is that the young Canadians are responding well to the playing time.  You can almost see their development from game to game.  A bunch are now penciled in starters and almost all our subs are Canadian, too.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Nelson suspended now.

I'm getting less and less fond of this whole VAR/post-game review stuff.  I'm not objecting to Nelson being suspended.  Just I'm actually starting to miss the whole "let's just play the game and accept that the ref will sometimes get things wrong" mechanism we used to have.  I thought I'd prefer video review and all that because it would "always" get it right but I'm finding that less and less to be the case.  Too much delay, too much after the fact rectification that doesn't actually rectify things.  Like now where Nelson should presumably have been sent off.  Fine, but that doesn't remove any plays he subsequently made against Philly that game.

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

I'm getting less and less fond of this whole VAR/post-game review stuff.  I'm not objecting to Nelson being suspended.  Just I'm actually starting to miss the whole "let's just play the game and accept that the ref will sometimes get things wrong" mechanism we used to have.  I thought I'd prefer video review and all that because it would "always" get it right but I'm finding that less and less to be the case.  Too much delay, too much after the fact rectification that doesn't actually rectify things.  Like now where Nelson should presumably have been sent off.  Fine, but that doesn't remove any plays he subsequently made against Philly that game.

We then  would also have to accept corrupt refereeing.  Like Byron Moreno, like the other ref's who helped the home side undeservedly reach the WC semi finals in 2002.  Like some of the ref's that were bought off in some secondary leagues in Europe.    Its very easy for someone or some entity with criminal leanings and financial means to buy a ref.  Ref's don't get paid much and since the final outcome rests so much with one person, its easy to do.   With a VAR team overseeing things, that becomes very hard to do.    Mistakes are mistakes, thats ok but  I will take VAR over any day over suspicious results.

Edited by Free kick

On 4/21/2022 at 1:40 PM, Free kick said:

We then  would also have to accept corrupt refereeing.  Like Byron Moreno, like the other ref's who helped the home side undeservedly reach the WC semi finals in 2002.  Like some of the ref's that were bought off in some secondary leagues in Europe.    Its very easy for someone or some entity with criminal leanings and financial means to buy a ref.  Ref's don't get paid much and since the final outcome rests so much with one person, its easy to do.   With a VAR team overseeing things, that becomes very hard to do.    Mistakes are mistakes, thats ok but  I will take VAR over any day over suspicious results.

For me, this was the #1 reason why I was in support of VAR when it was implemented and I have been a little surprised why it's not mentioned more often.

Perhaps our viewpoints are influenced overall by the leagues we each follow...

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In addition to Nelson suspended, Bradley Sr reports that Priso, Okello and JMR all remain injured for the weekend game against NYCFC, while Osorio is questionable. Which leaves centre midfield really thin…

Do we know the nature of Okello's injury? 

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In addition to Nelson suspended, Bradley Sr reports that Priso, Okello and JMR all remain injured for the weekend game against NYCFC, while Osorio is questionable. Which leaves centre midfield really thin…

Surprised they haven't called anyone up from TFC II

10 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Do we know the nature of Okello's injury? 

MLS player availability lists it (and Priso’s) as “lower body”, but outside of that your guess is as good as mine. I wish in these media scrums the media would ask Bradley these types of questions instead of asking the variations of the same questions each week (which even Bradley Sr has started to point out). 

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Wonder if we will see some more short term signings from TFC II as we have seen the last couple weeks with all those currently out. 

Here's what we know about TFC roster:

- They currently have 25 players signed of a potential 30. 
- 2 of those guys are on season long loans (Auro & Singh) making it only 23 guys.
- Insignie is coming in June to 24.
- Kobe Frankin, and Themi have used 2 out of 4 short term loan agreements (meaning they are likely to be given HG contracts soon)
- A lot of the players who have played a part in the season so far are not on the senior roster.
- TFC has a lot of salary cap to play with in bringing in additional talent.