TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

6 minutes ago, QBCS said:

Chung and Petrasso were solid, Nelson was rough. Maybe im just being critical but he really annoys me on the pitch. who cares, a wins a win.

Aside from the missed opportunity when the cut-back to Pozuela was the obvious choice, I thought he was solid.  Had a couple of decent shots on goal, and got into some good attacking positions.  He was partly culpable in DC’s opening goal but I doubt he expected to have to track back to his own penalty spot with other defenders on the box. 

9 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

Anybody know what happened in Sec 114 today? Heard from a couple buddies that they left around they left around the 80th min. 

On inebriatti IG:
Original 109 + Toronto Ultras Official statement:
We left the match at the 84' due to harassment from the MLSE security. This has been an ongoing issue since July 2021 and this provocation was "A bridge too far". We will keep you updated. 

Had the chance to go to the game, ended up deciding not to. unfortunate, hopefully nothing happens at the Canada vs Jamaica game.  

12 hours ago, El Hombre said:

To be fair, it was Nelson's man.  He left Petrasso to cover two guys.

Definitely caught ball watching on that one. Bradley's approach appears to be to clear out the older players who didn't have the right attitude last season (plus Luke Singh) and allow younger domestic players to grow into their roles. Mistakes will be made along the way, but that's a big part of how players can gain experience and improve. Key thing is that players need to be receptive to his coaching so the learning curve is a relatively steep one.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Definitely caught ball watching on that one. Bradley's approach appears to be to clear out the older players who didn't have the right attitude last season (plus Luke Singh) and allow younger domestic players to grow into their roles. Mistakes will be made along the way, but that's a big part of how players can gain experience and improve. Key thing is that players need to be receptive to his coaching so the learning curve is a relatively steep one.

I'll take mistakes like that by two young players any day of the week over similarly boneheaded plays by "veterans".  Hopefully they go over the tape and learn from it.

Total speculation, but while Chung was getting treatment TSN showed Bradley Sr having a long conversation with a heated Pozuelo who had just berated Nelson for the no pass.  Then Nelson came off.  If what I assumed happened is right, that’s great coaching/leadership: first call out your veteran for poor leadership on the field to support your young player (even if Poz was right) and then pull the young player to have a chat about choices and support your veteran. In the end, I don’t think it was the best sub tactically because Achara had a stinker, but Nelson and Poz both feel supported yet know what’s expected. I like it. 

5 hours ago, shorty said:

Total speculation, but while Chung was getting treatment TSN showed Bradley Sr having a long conversation with a heated Pozuelo who had just berated Nelson for the no pass.  Then Nelson came off.  If what I assumed happened is right, that’s great coaching/leadership: first call out your veteran for poor leadership on the field to support your young player (even if Poz was right) and then pull the young player to have a chat about choices and support your veteran. In the end, I don’t think it was the best sub tactically because Achara had a stinker, but Nelson and Poz both feel supported yet know what’s expected. I like it. 

I caught that too and was trying to read lips.  The best I could make out was Bradley to Pozuelo: "Yes, I agree with you, you're right, but now's not the time."  I totally read it the same way that Pozuelo was still heated that Nelson didn't play him in.

I hate how Caldwell berates some of the young guys on play like that.  If he tries a shot, its wrong/selfish/safe play, if he tries to cross and it goes wrong, its the wrong play..he should have shot etc.  At least Nelsen is mixing it up, keeping the keeper and defenders honest.  Earlier in the game he almost caught the keeper leaning the wrong way and got a shot in under the crossbar.  Sure on that one he prob should have squared the ball, but having Poz or Jimenez yell and point when they dont get service doesnt help.  How often does a nice cross come in and they sail it over the net  Does the winger go up and scream at them and point at the net???  

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Sure on that one he prob should have squared the ball, but having Poz or Jimenez yell and point when they dont get service doesnt help.  How often does a nice cross come in and they sail it over the net  Does the winger go up and scream at them and point at the net???  

So you're saying that striker-types can sometimes act like spoiled prima donnas?  Having now been exposed to this new thought, I'll have to pay attention and see if I can notice any other examples in the world of soccer.  :)

(We defenders are in the same boat.  If we play perfectly, no one notices and everyone praises the guy who scored as if he won the game for us by himself.  If we mess up once, it's terrible that we allowed a goal; never mind the six missed chances by the strikers.)

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I hate how Caldwell berates some of the young guys on play like that.  If he tries a shot, its wrong/selfish/safe play, if he tries to cross and it goes wrong, its the wrong play..he should have shot etc.  At least Nelsen is mixing it up, keeping the keeper and defenders honest.  Earlier in the game he almost caught the keeper leaning the wrong way and got a shot in under the crossbar.  Sure on that one he prob should have squared the ball, but having Poz or Jimenez yell and point when they dont get service doesnt help.  How often does a nice cross come in and they sail it over the net  Does the winger go up and scream at them and point at the net???  

If you listen to him enough you will hear that Caldwell has his favourites that can do no wrong and others that can't do anything right.

If you see the games live you will get the reason why Nelson and some other young guys will take a shot whe they get a chance. Pozuelo has a tendency not to pass to the new guys. There's been times when a young player would wide open and he would change direction and pass to Bradley or Osorio or somebody. He did it to Shaffelburg a lot in the past. That's just my observation.

Chairman and 25% owner of MLSE has put a bid in for Chelsea...Chelsea..

But it has been reported that the biggest bid was US$4 billion by Centricus Asset Management. Centricus co-founder Nizar Al-Bassam and CEO Garth Ritchie are Chelsea season ticket holders. They have joined forces with fellow season ticket holders Jonathan Lourie of Cheyne Capital and Bob Finch or Talis Capital. 

Last year, UEFA discussed a US$7.9 billion financing deal with Centricus aimed at revamping the UEFA Champions League and thwarting the European Super League.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/chelsea-sale-latest-centricus-roman-abramovich-b989506.html

Edited by red card

On 3/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, red card said:

Chairman and 25% owner of MLSE has put a bid in for Chelsea...Chelsea..

But it has been reported that the biggest bid was US$4 billion by Centricus Asset Management. Centricus co-founder Nizar Al-Bassam and CEO Garth Ritchie are Chelsea season ticket holders. They have joined forces with fellow season ticket holders Jonathan Lourie of Cheyne Capital and Bob Finch or Talis Capital. 

Last year, UEFA discussed a US$7.9 billion financing deal with Centricus aimed at revamping the UEFA Champions League and thwarting the European Super League.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/chelsea-sale-latest-centricus-roman-abramovich-b989506.html

A bit surprised.  Tannebaum is getting up there in age.   He was born in 1945.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I don't want to harp on him because I really do think he has a role on the pitch with this team but, Bradley's decision making just seems a touch slow.  It's hard when he's supposed to be the relief valve when defending. 

I feel like his decline has been steep and sudden.

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I don't want to harp on him because I really do think he has a role on the pitch with this team but, Bradley's decision making just seems a touch slow.  It's hard when he's supposed to be the relief valve when defending. 

Maybe some of this is because his choices on the ball are more difficult than they used to be.  When the team was better, he had more obvious plays to make.  It also looks like MLS teams are just better at gumming up the works in the midfield than they used to be (better coaching and fitness).  He probably is slowing down, but I doubt that it is as bad as it is being made out to be.

The bits and bobs I’ve seen of TFC this year have definitely been interesting and as a Canadian, I’ve enjoyed watching the youngsters get a run out.

One thing that has stuck out to me is the vast numbers of different players that have featured. I know there has been a few injuries but it seems like Bob Bradley has still to work out his best 11. It will be interesting to see who cements their position and again how that changes with Insigne. 

Luca Petrasso has been a pleasant surprise but didn’t look as impressive yesterday. I felt like him and Shaffelburg ended up playing a bit too similar and instead of combining, they got in each other’s way. Also, am I the only one amazed by how much taller he is than Michael? If the MLS site is correct, Luca has 5 inches over Michael. 

I’ve also been pleasantly surprised with MacNaughton and O’Neil on the back but left a bit wanting by Salcedo. I’ve not see most of the matches so I’d be interested in what others think of Salcedo.

MLS ref org say they blew it.

...a significant officiating error occurred in an important match situation in the eighth minute of the game between Toronto FC and New York City FC.

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) incorrectly determined the awarding of a penalty kick to be a clear and obvious error, as the selection of camera angles examined did not reveal foul contact from Toronto FC’s Kosi Thompson on New York City FC striker Talles Magno.

While an available camera angle did reveal foul contact, that alternative camera angle was not examined by the VAR, nor was it made available to the referee on the pitch-side monitor. The referee changed his decision and rescinded the penalty kick.

PRO can confirm that the awarding of a penalty kick was not a clear and obvious error, and the referee’s initial decision should have been allowed to stand.

http://proreferees.com/2022/04/02/2022-pro-statement-tor-vs-nyc/

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

The bits and bobs I’ve seen of TFC this year have definitely been interesting and as a Canadian, I’ve enjoyed watching the youngsters get a run out.

One thing that has stuck out to me is the vast numbers of different players that have featured. I know there has been a few injuries but it seems like Bob Bradley has still to work out his best 11. It will be interesting to see who cements their position and again how that changes with Insigne. 

Luca Petrasso has been a pleasant surprise but didn’t look as impressive yesterday. I felt like him and Shaffelburg ended up playing a bit too similar and instead of combining, they got in each other’s way. Also, am I the only one amazed by how much taller he is than Michael? If the MLS site is correct, Luca has 5 inches over Michael. 

I’ve also been pleasantly surprised with MacNaughton and O’Neil on the back but left a bit wanting by Salcedo. I’ve not see most of the matches so I’d be interested in what others think of Salcedo.

I think Salcedo was an effective qb as the game progressed.  The team was getting played off the pitch until that Jimenez goal as the back line was getting exposed by the NYCFC movement but was getting let off the hook because the guy at LB couldn't cross a ball to save his life. The own goal after an arguably soft free kick decision just before the half ended really put the road team in a hole.  

When they subbed in Heber late, who is more of a robust type at forward, and then they started pumping balls into the box, it was rewarded with a goal, so I would be a little concerned about that.  The keeper made a timely save of a challenging first time shot by Parks.