Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm glad he got multi-year security. Especially if Kwame moves on, the flexibility that Dom provides is going to be very important.

If Kwame moves on it will be interesting to see what the club do for a LB, as versatile as Dom is I am not sure I consider him an every day starter in that position!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

If Kwame moves on it will be interesting to see what the club do for a LB, as versatile as Dom is I am not sure I consider him an every day starter in that position!

I won't be surprised if Monti Mohsen gets some more minutes. He's looked alright in his few appearances over the years and is still only 21. I'm not sure if he was healthy all season, but seemed to appear on the bench less as the season went on. I was looking at his instagram and noticed that Iraqi supporters are really pushing to recruit him to their national team.

The obvious dream replacement would be Ashtone Morgan, but he seems to be running a cafe in Toronto now. Not sure if his career is over. I wouldn't mind some former CPLers like Zoom Langwa or Emile Legault either, they're still young and have shown flashes but are playing at lower levels atm. I definitely hope we have someone who feels comfortable as a LB first.

6 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I won't be surprised if Monti Mohsen gets some more minutes. He's looked alright in his few appearances over the years and is still only 21. I'm not sure if he was healthy all season, but seemed to appear on the bench less as the season went on. I was looking at his instagram and noticed that Iraqi supporters are really pushing to recruit him to their national team.

The obvious dream replacement would be Ashtone Morgan, but he seems to be running a cafe in Toronto now. Not sure if his career is over. I wouldn't mind some former CPLers like Zoom Langwa or Emile Legault either, they're still young and have shown flashes but are playing at lower levels atm. I definitely hope we have someone who feels comfortable as a LB first.

Ashtone is a good shout, he has Hamilton connections as well, I worked with his uncle who was a mentor!

7 hours ago, gator said:

I think the obvious choice would be Tissot. He hasn't had many minutes, so this could be his shot.

This is a key position because Forge relies heavily on overlaps. The reason for this IMO is because, similar to Canada in 2014 WCQ, the team wants to play a possession style but doesn't have the game changers to penetrate and/or play final balls (obviously at this level they're hard to come by) so they're left working the ball around and often find the "easy" overlap.

Ashtone Morgan would be perfect if they could get him. Can Clement Bayiha play LB? He wouldn't be a bad pickup either even if he's only right sided.

Edited by CanadaFan123

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think the obvious choice would be Tissot. He hasn't had many minutes, so this could be his shot.

This is a key position because Forge relies heavily on overlaps. The reason for this IMO is because, similar to Canada in 2014 WCQ, the team wants to play a possession style but doesn't have the game changers to penetrate and/or play final balls (obviously at this level they're hard to come by) so they're left working the ball around and often find the "easy" overlap.

Ashtone Morgan would be perfect if they could get him. Can Clement Bayiha play LB? He wouldn't be a bad pickup either even if he's only right sided.

I like Tissot from his days with the CanMNT, but he got burned in his few games in the backline this year. After his injury issues of the past few years, it really didn't feel like he had the pace to play fullback anymore. He still has the technical talent, but I think he's better suited in the midfield nowadays.

I don't recall Tissot playing any minutes on the outside, but my memory might be fuzzy on that. Seems like the preference was to use Cisse on the outside as a replacement for Grant, and move Tissot into his normal inside spot. If my memory serves, Metusala played a couple games as the right back at some point in the season. Announcements seem to spring out of thin air with Forge, so who knows if they've got some other signings in the works, but wouldn't shock me to see more of Cisse on the outside with Hojabrpour coming in, and more minutes going to Cela, Mohsen, Son, Castello, etc.

Not sure what Pacius's status is. Is his loan finished? Bit of a logjam up front now.

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't recall Tissot playing any minutes on the outside, but my memory might be fuzzy on that. Seems like the preference was to use Cisse on the outside as a replacement for Grant, and move Tissot into his normal inside spot. If my memory serves, Metusala played a couple games as the right back at some point in the season. Announcements seem to spring out of thin air with Forge, so who knows if they've got some other signings in the works, but wouldn't shock me to see more of Cisse on the outside with Hojabrpour coming in, and more minutes going to Cela, Mohsen, Son, Castello, etc.

Not sure what Pacius's status is. Is his loan finished? Bit of a logjam up front now.

This year when Tissot played in the backline (it happened a few times near the end due to injuries/short benches) he was playing in the middle but of course in Bobby's system the backline is often shifting. Tissot has never traditionally been an inside back through his career, and earlier on he was more of a winger. He was tried on both sides at the back for the national team, but generally settled most comfortably at LB. If I recall, Cisse only played RB this year when he was moved to the back?

Agree with Cela, although it took them a long time to bring him back last season. I wonder if they don't rate his future as a professional. Also, Woobens is not on a loan. Montreal didn't offer him a first team contract last season, which led to the first team signing at Forge. I sure hope we have him back.

I thought Cisse was fantastic at RB even though that is not his natural position, maybe it will be given all of the depth in midfield!, Tissot has had too many injury spells to properly assess where he can or can't play, I certainly would not be comfortable with him being the starting LB at this point!

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bayhia is a natural RW, he was converted as a RB by CF Montreal, and he has to improve his defensive skills, he could join Forge and play both RW and RB. But I'm sure he would play more in an other club

As LB, Tissot is still good, there's also Langwa (I believe hes in German D6), Daniel Kinumbe or even Mustapha Kizza

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bobby mentions that he expects a few players to move up a level in the next few weeks. Babouli (if you consider that up) and Kwame seem to be the obvious possibilities, but lack of news has me wondering if Bekker could be among that crowd.

Bekker has consistenly felt a level above much of his competition through 3 years in the league, and might be able to earn one last pay day. Would be a gigantic loss for us, but well deserved.

It's reassuring to see Krutzen still under contract. I'm most interested in seeing what happens with Borges. OH Leuven is back in season, and it doesn't seem that he's back training in Belgium. I somewhat expect him to be loaned back or sold again.

Maybe a European team but most lower budget clubs there prefer to use Bosman signings nowadays so that's probably a longshot. It's the younger players such as Pacius and Metusala that are more likely to be of interest in MLS Next Pro terms and if I understand the implications of there being no salary cap in that context it might be easier to get a transfer fee out of an MLS franchise now because it wouldn't count against their MLS salary cap.