Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

Just now, archer21 said:

Think he’s done it at times for TFC (or at least as more of a box to box midfielder than attacking mid/wing) but yeah I agree, that’s not really his role with CMNT.

Never been his role with TFC either.   Ok maybe once or twice who knows.  

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I agree thats not a switch I would make, but didnt Oso play some DM with TFC when Bradley was injured? He laid back and did a lot more defensive work that year.  

Yes, perhaps when Bradley was injured.  In pinch, i am sure it happened.   But that was always one of the thngs Vanney wanted him to improve on, his defensive play, and he did.    But i maintain,  its not his primary function.   Bradley was the #6 on the team and did all the clean up work (ball winning and launching the attacks).  Oso was the guy who was counted on to maintain possesion in MF and in the final third and link up passes to the FWD’s. And also chip in with teh occasional goals.

The only true sub for Bradley was Fraser.  Vasquez kind of displaced Oso to a little more on the wing.  

Edited by Free kick

I didnt think the pairing of Piette and Atiba was working all that well and that Oso was coming in for one of them, before Piette got injured.  At this level, for the national team, you can expect guys to do the dirty DM type work if it means them getting on the field/contributing and plenty of these mids are capable of it, even if its not their cup of tea at the club level.  The pairings need to work though, which is more chemistry between the 2-3 central mids and how they play off each other.  

6 hours ago, P-O said:

Am I the only one to think we should go full rotate, play tight and aim for 1 point.

Let's go for the W in Salvador.

Probate not.  Completely disagree though.

Home match against the USA?  Bad optic, wasted marketing opportunity and the wrong message to send to the public.  Don't mess with the juju if it's working.

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

My guess is 10-15%.

That seems high for me. I am thinking more like 5% tops. I'd like to imagine many of them got squeezed out by the re-sale. It's hard enough for committed Canada fans to endure all of that and still travel for games, so I think some Americans aren't going to bother. Maybe I am being overly optimistic though. 

Last night's match and Sunday's have been the headline on local news radio all day, they spoke about restrictions at the stadium, besides the reduced capacity there will be protocols in place for concessions to prevent congregation! I expect this means the barrels we use as tables in the concourse will have been removed, they will probably want us to stay at our seats as much as possible!

59 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I didnt think the pairing of Piette and Atiba was working all that well and that Oso was coming in for one of them, before Piette got injured.  At this level, for the national team, you can expect guys to do the dirty DM type work if it means them getting on the field/contributing and plenty of these mids are capable of it, even if its not their cup of tea at the club level.  The pairings need to work though, which is more chemistry between the 2-3 central mids and how they play off each other.  

Piette was replaced by another D mid (Fraser).  And it was due to injury.  

Oso and Laryea came in for Larin and Hoilett.  Which makes sence.

Edited by Free kick

Osorio has played as part of a midfield 2 numerous times. I don't think that's his best position (always thought he was best as the inside left midfielder as part of a 3) but he's done it a bunch. He's been the deepest mid in a diamond a couple times, but I wouldn't say he has enough experience there. I also don't think it suits his skill set all that well.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes, perhaps when Bradley was injured.  In pinch, i am sure it happened.   But that was always one of the thngs Vanney wanted him to improve on, his defensive play, and he did.    But i maintain,  its not his primary function.   Bradley was the #6 on the team and did all the clean up work (ball winning and launching the attacks).  Oso was the guy who was counted on to maintain possesion in MF and in the final third and link up passes to the FWD’s. And also chip in with teh occasional goals.

The only true sub for Bradley was Fraser.  Vasquez kind of displaced Oso to a little more on the wing.  

Not saying, I want to see it for Canada but Osorio played several months in that role in 2020 while Bradley was out and it was some of the best Toronto FC has ever looked and it was arguably some of the best footy Osorio had played in his career.  Was also captaining the team during that stretch as well.  

I'm not hear to push for Osorio to play that role for CMNT but he 100% excelled at it with Toronto FC for 3/4 months.

I don't believe Osorio should ever be deployed in a two man midfield either.  Eustaquio & Kaye or Eustaquio & Atiba are the best combinations for a 2 man midfield.  I didn't think we had enough control with Piette & Atiba in there and a better squad probably would have exposed us greater.

Can't complain with a result in San Pedro Sula though, so what do I know.

9 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Really hope they rotate Mckenzie. Couldn’t really care less about Adams,Pulisic, Weah, etc. We got lucky Mckenzie was an idiot and got himself benched for our first matchup vs them.

McKennie scares me - he’s very dangerous in the box and great on set pieces. The rest of their squad is very solid but not particularly  dangerous 

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

McKennie scares me - he’s very dangerous in the box and great on set pieces. The rest of their squad is very solid but not particularly  dangerous 

In general yes McKennie is a player to worry about. He's also arguably the most in form US player at club level right now. 

However, I watched most of the first half before our game started and I thought he was trying too hard with his dribbles and held on to the ball too long a few times. That's not really his game. He's far more scary when he picks up the ball and drives through the middle, or makes late runs into the box, or gets up on set pieces. I was only watching half-heartedly, so maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I never saw any of that. He never played bad, had some nice touches and combinations, especially with Dest, but I just felt he was trying to do too much against El Salvador and therefore wasn't really as scary as he could be. 

He'll probably get back to basics against us, because I don't see him trying to overplay against a team of our caliber, and he'll be dangerous if he gets back to doing what he's good at, but if he continues trying to do too much it'll be to our benefit on Sunday. 

23 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Really hope they rotate Mckenzie. Couldn’t really care less about Adams,Pulisic, Weah, etc. We got lucky Mckenzie was an idiot and got himself benched for our first matchup vs them.

I think you mean McKennie. I actually read it that way, to be fair, but there is a McKenzie who was on the bench (he's a teammate of Ugbo at Genk), so just correcting for the sake of clarity. 

Don't know if it's been posted already, but American fans seem to be expecting something like this in Hamilton:

---------------------------Turner-------------------------

Cannon/Yedlin---Zimmerman---Robinson----Robinson

---------------------------Adams-----------------------------

-------------------McKennie--Musah/Acosta-------------------

Arriola/Morris--------------Pepi---------------------Pulisic/Aaronson

The spots with multiple players are where there's not consensus over who to expect, just based on fan comments I have seen, articles I have read, youtubers I have watched, etc.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Don't know if it's been posted all ready, but American fans seem to be expecting something like this in Hamilton:

---------------------------Turner-------------------------

Cannon/Yedlin---Zimmerman---Robinson----Robinson

---------------------------Adams-----------------------------

-------------------McKennie--Musah/Acosta-------------------

Arriola/Morris/Aaronson----Pepi---------------------Pulisic

The spots with multiple players are where there's not consensus over who to expect, just based on fan comments I have seen and articles I have read, youtubers I have watched, etc.

Thats less rotation than I would expect. Would Pulisic and the whole midfield start again?