Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are good poster here, one of the best of the new crop. So I don't want to lay in too much.

But if we were really worrying about who gets to go we would not have chosen such a poor venue, with such limited capacity. I have my views on why that happened.

The CSA: but they have always been incompetent, and even now the entire programme is pushing its way to Qatar against them, the CSA throwing spanners in the works the whole way. 

So empathy for a fan losing money on travel to see a soccer match is not high on my empathy scale. It is not really proving anything to point out I should care more. I care about as much as the time I heard a teen girl tell me how she had tickets but couldn't get to a Corey Hart concert in Sudbury like 45 years ago.

We could make a fun list of things Canadians should care more about and don't.

Most fans, the vast majority, do not have the income to do such a thing, ever.  And less so in the midst of a pandemic, when all signs indicated that the risk factor was real, because it was objectively laughing in the face of uncertainty.

Then: cancellation insurance, and fares permitting cancellation.

I only care about the call-up, beating Honduras, beating the US, getting to Qatar. And yes, I have looked at airfare to Qatar for the first week of the WC, did so about 3 weeks ago.

We can agree to disagree.  I think it was unfair to start from scratch here and on a fan forum I’m just voicing my opinion but it is what it is.  Of course the priority is what happens on the pitch, nobody disagrees there 

"All ticket purchasers will be provided the opportunity to purchase tickets for the 30 January home match through a dedicated pre-sale window beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday 25 January. A public on-sale will follow on 26 January at 10:00 ET should inventory remain available."

Does this mean that the people that had tickets will get a special code or is it a free for all, like the original on sale date?

5 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

"All ticket purchasers will be provided the opportunity to purchase tickets for the 30 January home match through a dedicated pre-sale window beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday 25 January. A public on-sale will follow on 26 January at 10:00 ET should inventory remain available."

Does this mean that the people that had tickets will get a special code or is it a free for all, like the original on sale date?

Pretty sure it'll be a generic code sent to the emails of the people who bought tickets. Less of a free for all than last time because theoretically we're only talking about like 7000-12000 people or so. Hopefully they limit tickets to 2 per account.

I actually think this sale will be easier than last time. Much more exclusive presale and some people will decide not to purchase again. Frankly, I hope the voyagers allocation gets cut 50% too. It's everyone for themselves.

Edited by afurry91

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

I’m not gonna speculate on what they will do, but how does a generic code prevent someone who didn’t have tickets last time from getting them this time? 

It doesn't, but the first sale didn't prevent non-CanadaRed members from buying either. 

I don't know if Ticketmaster has the capability of locking purchases to certain ticketmaster accounts. That would be ideal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by afurry91

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hamilton was chosen because the CSA owed one to Bob Young after the Voyageurs Cup cancellation in 2020. 

Let's try not to be so naive.

BTW, I don't really buy the CSA blaming the city as a convincing argument.

So why this specific game? Why not give Hamilton the Honduras, Panama or El Salvador home game, thus leaving the US game for a bigger venue?

We’re entering tinfoil hat territory here when the simplest answer (travel, plus the unavailability of BMO) is the correct one. 

I also don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that the Hamilton PHU would have reservations about allowing this game to proceed given everything else that’s going on in the province at the moment.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Canada’s played home games in another country during this same qualifying cycle.

Ya I know.

But during that time it was not possible to play in Canada based on restrictions.

That's not the case now. That's why FIFA would never allow us to play in Costa Rica this window.

Just now, narduch said:

Ya I know.

But during that time it was not possible to play in Canada based on restrictions.

That's not the case now. That's why FIFA would never allow us to play in Costa Rica this window.

The rumour was that the feds weren’t going to allow teams to enter the country without a lengthy quarantine. That would’ve created the same scenario as before.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are good poster here, one of the best of the new crop. So I don't want to lay in too much.

But if we were really worrying about who gets to go we would not have chosen such a poor venue, with such limited capacity. I have my views on why that happened.

The CSA: but they have always been incompetent, and even now the entire programme is pushing its way to Qatar against them, the CSA throwing spanners in the works the whole way. 

So empathy for a fan losing money on travel to see a soccer match is not high on my empathy scale. It is not really proving anything to point out I should care more. I care about as much as the time I heard a teen girl tell me how she had tickets but couldn't get to a Corey Hart concert in Sudbury like 45 years ago.

We could make a fun list of things Canadians should care more about and don't.

Most fans, the vast majority, do not have the income to do such a thing, ever.  And less so in the midst of a pandemic, when all signs indicated that the risk factor was real, because it was objectively laughing in the face of uncertainty.

Then: cancellation insurance, and fares permitting cancellation.

I only care about the call-up, beating Honduras, beating the US, getting to Qatar. And yes, I have looked at airfare to Qatar for the first week of the WC, did so about 3 weeks ago.

I think its fair to say that anyone traveling by plane for pleasure during a global pandemic is taking a risk.

“To All Confirmed Ticket Purchasers 

Canada Soccer would like to thank our fans for their incredible support of our upcoming FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers match on Sunday 30 January at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario. Following extensive collaboration with all levels of government and in accordance with current public health guidelines, attendance for the Canada v USA home match will be limited to 50% of venue capacity. To comply with ticketing operations to meet the reduced capacity, Canada Soccer is required to cancel and refund all current ticket holders. The full purchase amount will be refunded and returned to the credit card used for purchase within two to four weeks.  

Those fans who hold cancelled tickets will be the first to receive the opportunity to purchase tickets to the 50% reduced capacity match through an exclusive advance pre-sale window beginning at 10:00am ET on Tuesday 25 January.  Canada Soccer will send this presale code directly to all current ticket purchasers on the morning of Tuesday 25 January, so watch your inbox for an email with your presale code. 

A public on-sale will follow the pre-sale window if there is remaining ticket inventory on 26 January at 10 a.m. ET.

Enhanced public health and safety measures will be in place at Tim Hortons Field. All fans attending the match being required to provide proof of vaccination (QR code and double dose), pass through active screening upon entry, wear masks (unless eating or drinking), practice social distancing, remain in their seats unless using washrooms or purchasing food and beverage, and avoid congregating in common areas. 

We sincerely appreciate your continued support and understanding as we go through this process. 

#ForCanada” 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

This is a great villain origin story for a beef against Hamilton.

If I do go, I will go to great lengths not to spend a dime there. They should be persona non grata with the CSA moving forward. 

I am not impressed with the city at all if it was only Hamilton insisting on a reduction or no fans , like everything this is somewhat political and unfortunately I know all too well the state of our hospitals currently, having 25,000 fans at an event would be perceived by many as a very bad decision! I'm sure every Tiger Cat game sees admissions to the ER and not because of covid, our medical officer of health was defending hosting the Grey Cup at full capacity recently saying outdoor events are safe but that was before omicron filled up our hospitals!

2 minutes ago, afurry91 said:

Just got an email from Canada soccer about the presale that the code is coming the morning of the 25th. I assume if I got this email then I’m good to get the presale code?

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have tickets to the game and were you the one who purchased them?  I ask because I wonder if this email went to everyone who bought the ticket(s) or if it went to everyone who is on Canada Red pre sale list

16 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have tickets to the game and were you the one who purchased them?  I ask because I wonder if this email went to everyone who bought the ticket(s) or if it went to everyone who is on Canada Red pre sale list

This is what we need to know

Edited by Free kick

27 minutes ago, RS said:

So why this specific game? Why not give Hamilton the Honduras, Panama or El Salvador home game, thus leaving the US game for a bigger venue?

We’re entering tinfoil hat territory here when the simplest answer (travel, plus the unavailability of BMO) is the correct one. 

I also don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that the Hamilton PHU would have reservations about allowing this game to proceed given everything else that’s going on in the province at the moment.

Agree! The one and only reason Hamilton was chosen was the location and the playing surface!