Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

1987 Canada Cup produced one of the greatest hockey tournaments and iconic goals in hockey history, so probably not.

I’m talking about the population of people that actually care about the event. This is definitely above any Grey Cup considering how little relevance it has in the states plus you could argue around the actual popularity hockey has in the USA, but I really don’t care enough which is why I said agree to disagree

3 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

I’m talking about the population of people that actually care about the event. This is definitely above any Grey Cup considering how little relevance it has in the states plus you could argue around the actual popularity hockey has in the USA, but I really don’t care enough which is why I said agree to disagree

The Pink Floyd concert and World Cycling Championships were good shouts to be fair, I would say this would have been bigger than any Grey Cup or single hockey game!

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Same..maybe they’ve already programmed it for the 50% and it means we’re going, right?! 

No, the game was 100% go before the change in policy today.  That is a scheduled email that goes out 10 days before an event. 

2 minutes ago, Beaut said:

Hoping all V's are invited to attend. Would be a good boost for the team. I'm sure our V's leaders and CSA are balancing a lot right now. Thanks for everything.

In any case, our boys will dismantle the yanks. 

That’s what I was hoping too, but it would just be easier for them to do 50% of the Vs

3 minutes ago, Beaut said:

Hoping all V's are invited to attend. Would be a good boost for the team. I'm sure our V's leaders and CSA are balancing a lot right now. Thanks for everything.

In any case, our boys will dismantle the yanks. 

It pains me because I bought outside of the V's section for this one so I could bring a few new faces, but I do think that would be the call in the best interests of our team.

16 minutes ago, Metro said:

Silly kids, have we all forgotten the great time that was when Hamilton hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1930???

:D The British Empire Games of 1930!

Bobby Robinson of the Hamilton Spectator made them happen but I'm sure there was a writer back in the day for The Province or The Vancouver Sun who wrote "They should have been held in Vancouver".

23 minutes ago, admin said:

No, the game was 100% go before the change in policy today.  That is a scheduled email that goes out 10 days before an event. 

All of this is pretty confusing. So Hamilton changed their policy today, or Ontario did? And who is meeting tonight to determine how tickets will be distributed? The V’s organizers? Canada Soccer? Combination?

12 minutes ago, archer21 said:

All of this is pretty confusing. So Hamilton changed their policy today, or Ontario did? And who is meeting tonight to determine how tickets will be distributed? The V’s organizers? Canada Soccer? Combination?

What we think happens

Image result for secret meeting

What we wish was happening

See the source image

Our actual meeting

See the source image

4 minutes ago, johnyb said:

To me its more "How do we tell the people of Ontario this is 100% capacity without them dragging us through the coals for doing so". My prediction 50% for optics.

I agree with your prediction, and I believe I see your point, but aside from your point I want to clarify that this was always going to be matter of optics, regardless of whether the agreed upon capacity was zero, 50%, 100% or somewhere in between.

If the City of Hamilton and/or public health officials put their foot down and don't budge on their demand for 0 capacity, that would be a decision made for optics.

Conversely, if the CSA negotiates a deal for the game to be played at full capacity, the City of Hamilton and/or public health officials will need to justify that decision in order to manage the optics. 

This public health decision is about optics, plain and simple. Outdoor events like this do not pose a creditable risk to the health of the general public at large. There is no scientific analysis that informs the decision making in this case.

Thanks to @admin, @JamboAl, and the rest of the leadership team for dealing with the back and forth at the last minute. Fingers crossed the health authorities can be convinced to let it go ahead at 100% capacity.

If that's not the case, a humble request if it comes up for V's like @CanadaFan123, myself, and I assume others who bought outside the sections in order to accommodate their non-V's attendees: if there's a way to get a further allocation of V's tickets elsewhere within the spaced-out stadium to re-accommodate the most passionate fans who had their seats cancelled, that'd be awesome :)