Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

19 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

This game was never going to go ahead at full capacity. Anybody who thinks otherwise is being delusional.

I would be willing to bet money that it will be full cap because of how long they've been waiting and with the news today. But who knows I guess we'll know soon(ish) 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We have to hope it hasn't been discussed, or at least not in detail. Because if it has, then they have conscientiously made a decision to screw over our capacity with the January 31 date.

Truthfully, I don't think this match would have been mentioned more than in passing. I'm hoping that the January 31 date is just chosen because it's a Monday.

Well given that Josh Kloke said we may get something by the 24th, my guess is that there will be a decrease in capacity and they're working the details of exact numbers and how to allocate seats before they announce something

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

My speculation is that the issue has to do with emergency services necessary for a large ticketed gathering (ie ambulances)

Currently Ontario cities have major ambulance shortage issues. 

Smart observation. 

Now what would also be smart is if the Voyageurs would do a census of members with tickets who are in health services, doctors, nurses, paramedics. 

Voluntary of course.

This is often done in an informal way as we know at many events (music festivals) and could help to cover some contingencies.

Unless I am an idiot for suggesting this.

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Whatever one's views on the science and what restrictions should or not be at this point, just imagine the absolute media shitstorm you're going to see if only 500 people are allowed at a Leafs game, but 25000 from around the country get together for a game at THF. This is not a value judgment, just a prediction.

But what we are seeing instead is the opposite of the notion that you are advancing.   What i am seeing instead is that there are several of NHL games in Ontario on the 31st, and thats the date where they lifted some restrictions.  so if you watched that press conference and have tickets to a hockey game,  you know exactly where you stand.  But if you have tickets to an outdoor soccer game in Hamilton.  You still have no clue.   

Edited by Free kick

Unless I've completely missed the boat here, capacity is maxed at 500 for indoor sports on the 31st which is even less than before...

e: I have not missed the boat.  500 (aka no) fans at indoor sports until at least Feb 21.

Edited by theaub

3 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

The only thing the CSA is guilty of is deciding to host this game outdoors in January in Ontario, fully at the mercy of Doug Ford's government. 

The best option for this game, from day 1, has been to have it in Vancouver. 

It the game was about attendance, it would have been Vancouver. But Herdman made it pretty clear this was about travel, so nothing here has changed.

2 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

The only thing the CSA is guilty of is deciding to host this game outdoors in January in Ontario, fully at the mercy of Doug Ford's government. 

To take a higher level view, the CSA shouldn't never have to factor politics into picking a location in the first place.

The CSA is currently being held captive to decisions that are part of a larger political theater, where the science is "supposed" to be the determining factor, but clearly it isn't (as @Shway pointed out). Outdoor events should proceed.

That's just where we are at in 2022, and it really sucks, but I find it hard to blame the CSA here. They are in the business of soccer, not politics. Ontario made a lot of logistical sense absent of the politics.  

29 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It the game was about attendance, it would have been Vancouver. But Herdman made it pretty clear this was about travel, so nothing here has changed.

Also, I read that there were renovation (ie.: turf replacement) planned at BC place.  It was planned to be completed on Jan 21 from what I recall.   That might have been why they couldn't chance it in Vancouver.  What if the work is not done?

Edit.:

BC Place Stadium will have a new turf field by January 2022 | Urbanized (dailyhive.com)

BC Place Stadium donates existing turf field to flood-affected Abbotsford team | Urbanized (dailyhive.com)

Quote: Pavco, the provincial crown corporation that owns and operates the venue, will select a contractor by early next month to install a new artificial turf surface. Installation work is expected to begin after the last home games of the current seasons for the BC Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps, with a contracted full completion by January 21, 2022."

Quote:  " . This work is being carried out this month and into January 2022, with completion slated just in time for the return of World Rugby’s HSBC Canada Sevens on February 26 to 27, 2022.

The turf field now being removed was installed just weeks before the venue’s key role in hosting matches for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. ...."

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Also, I read that there were renovation (ie.: turf replacement) planned at BC place.  It was planned to be completed on Jan 21 from what I recall.   That might have been why they couldn't chance it in Vancouver.  What if the work is not done?

Perhaps more importantly, the travel time for European players is less and the travel time to central america is less. I would have liked vancouver for selfish reasons, but the justification for southern ontario is fair in my opinion. 

Interestingly, I saw a rumor that US soccer were going to play home games at SJ and Portland, but shifted plans when Vancouver wasn't announced. 

26 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

What are the current restrictions in BC? Do the Canucks have full crowds?

Also is the turf replacement complete at BC Place?

Edited by narduch

32 minutes ago, RS said:

Fuck em. Outdoor vs. indoor.

Not to mention this is the pinnacle event of Canada soccer and the Leafs haven’t won their pinnacle since there were only 6 teams in their league (coming from a Leafs fan)

Edited by ADP10

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

What are the current restrictions in BC? Do the Canucks gave full crowds?

Also is the turf replacement complete?

This is an aside, but I wonder if there's an alternate universe where the game is hosted in BC, but the government reduces capacity for indoor sporting events, and so the CSA counters by declaring it an outdoor event and open the roof lol

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

Any negative news about the Jan 30 fixture:BFB1D404-7231-43D9-8483-82073D0CC1EE.jpeg.03a5eb8067b65112a497781b84bc3db1.jpeg

Hahahaha fair enough. I'm from Ottawa, we're driving down to Hamilton for the game (fingers crossed). It was a tricky decision to make for the CSA for sure. I imagine a ton of behind the scenes factors came in to play. But Hamilton... in January... against the Americans... There's no competitive advantage here whatsoever

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This is an aside, but I wonder if there's an alternate universe where the game is hosted in BC, but the government reduces capacity for indoor sporting events, and so the CSA counters by declaring it an outdoor event and open the roof lol

In the summer the Blue Jays were slightly opening their roof to call it 'outdoors'

Just now, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Hahahaha fair enough. I'm from Ottawa, we're driving down to Hamilton for the game (fingers crossed). It was a tricky decision to make for the CSA for sure. I imagine a ton of behind the scenes factors came in to play. But Hamilton... in January... against the Americans... There's no competitive advantage here whatsoever

To add, the Americans will be more "acclimatized" to the cold than us, all of their games will be in negative weather, while we need to play 2 matches in subtropical climate.

19 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

its better than flying across the country twice to get to Vancouver.

The USA were planning to have their games in San Jose and Portland until we announced our game would be in Hamilton as opposed to Vancouver

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

I would be willing to bet money that it will be full cap because of how long they've been waiting and with the news today. But who knows I guess we'll know soon(ish) 

Not one provincial decision-maker is thinking about COVID restrictions in the context of this game.  They'll set the rules, and the game will follow. I get we're all soccer fans here but some of the takes are hopelessly sweet.