Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

6 minutes ago, Califax said:

Do people think that?

I think if you asked any Queens Park staffer, the government knows about this game and will deal with in based how thngs are going in the days before. As we saw in October the last capacity increase was four days before the game, thus selling about another 5,000 tickets and causing all sorts of staffing issues at BMO Field. Do not be surprised if the same time line is used here for a reduction etc., we shall see. 

For me, the flying-under-the-radar comment is more about failing to acknowledge the elephant in the room, which is that there will likely be reduced capacity and we should know more about the CSA's plan to deal with that.

I'm not asking for a government decision right now, and I'm certainly not asking the CSA to play government and issue restrictions. I'm curious to know what the contingency plan is in case there is reduced capacity. No more, no less.

Not to talk about it at all seems wildly irresponsible, and honestly, unfair to everyone travelling to the game from outside the GTA and western Ontario. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Still really curious as to what is "wildly irreponsible and unfair" about this.

What would be wildly irresponsible and unfair is to preemptively conduct some sort of seat lottery/elimination, publish the results, create massive panic in the marketplace (and indirectly create a giant resellers market), and then new government restrictions render it all moot.

50 minutes ago, theaub said:

What would be wildly irresponsible and unfair is to preemptively conduct some sort of seat lottery/elimination, publish the results, create massive panic in the marketplace (and indirectly create a giant resellers market), and then new government restrictions render it all moot.

Maybe so, but there will certainly be panic if people spend thousands of dollars on travel for the game only to find out they can't get in with their tickets a mere couple of days in advance of the game. 

At least if people know what the CSA is up to, they can make a more informed decision about travelling. 

58 minutes ago, theaub said:

Still really curious as to what is "wildly irreponsible and unfair" about this.

Was there panic when the Leafs and Raptors dropped to 1,000 capacity overnight?

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Maybe so, but there will certainly be panic if people spend thousands of dollars on travel for the game only to find out they can't get in with their tickets a mere couple of days in advance of the game. 

At least if people know what the CSA is up to, they can make a more informed decision about travelling. 

I disagree, there is zilch that the CSA can say that would be of any help to anyone travelling.  It's up to each person to make the decision...I'm in the same boat and have had travel cancelled and decided not to rebook.  Therefore, I am risk mitigating things myself by not sinking more money into an event that I don't think I'll be able to attend.  If that changes, I can spend $1,000 or more on going last minute if I choose.

Seriously people. We've been at this for 2 years now we don't need the CSA to announce contingency plans for something that is completely unknown. If you're travelling to this match there is a risk you won't be going. That is all you need to know to make a decision at this point. 

What do you expect them to do? Take a guess and release a flowchart of what they'll do in each of the possible scenarios? How would that help you anyhow? It's not like they're going to say "if we're down to 50% here are the seats that will be available".

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Was there panic when the Leafs and Raptors dropped to 1,000 capacity overnight?

As a Raptors SSH it sucked, but it is what it is.  Not like them pre-warning me about it would have changed anything.

When they dropped to 50% capacity both those teams cancelled any single game tickets purchased (including the Raptors/Warriors game on <48 hours notice), which was unfortunate for people who were travelling into the game but what can MLSE do?  Ironically that one did the opposite to the resale market, since they also cancelled all resale tickets and reissued them back to SSH, completely flooding the market.

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

As a Raptors SSH it sucked, but it is what it is.  Not like them pre-warning me about it would have changed anything.

When they dropped to 50% capacity both those teams cancelled any single game tickets purchased (including the Raptors/Warriors game on <48 hours notice), which was unfortunate for people who were travelling into the game but what can MLSE do?  Ironically that one did the opposite to the resale market, since they also cancelled all resale tickets and reissued them back to SSH, completely flooding the market.

Yeah you could have done to the Raps Warriors game for $20-25 getting a ticket off the resale market. The reduction did not create any demand, it did the complete opposite. Now the Warriors lineup did not help. 

Now I'm imagining the maximum chaos theory move of just cancelling everyone's tickets and having a new onsale at whatever capacity 48 hours before the game.

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Yeah you could have done to the Raps Warriors game for $20-25 getting a ticket off the resale market. The reduction did not create any demand, it did the complete opposite. Now the Warriors lineup did not help. 

Yup exactly, a perfect storm of 10,000 tickets either needing to be used or resold in a short period of time, a completely depleted Warriors lineup and the actual cost being the most expensive game of the season was a perfect storm of bad times (or good opportunity).

At least from what I can tell on the internet and by the resale prices, everyone still wants to go to this game.  So a reduction in capacity will just cause everything to be more scarce.  Don't think there will be enough of an offset of people who don't want to go because of covid risks etc at least from what I can see.

Edited by theaub

I say this as someone who has tickets booked right now: If you’re worried, you should cancel. 

My inner Scotsman would not allow me to book anything during covid that I could not cancel for a refund. I will make a decision at the last possible moment based on the information I have at the time.

Edited by Califax

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Seriously people. We've been at this for 2 years now we don't need the CSA to announce contingency plans for something that is completely unknown. If you're travelling to this match there is a risk you won't be going. That is all you need to know to make a decision at this point. 

What do you expect them to do? Take a guess and release a flowchart of what they'll do in each of the possible scenarios? How would that help you anyhow? It's not like they're going to say "if we're down to 50% here are the seats that will be available".

Well, they'll have to figure that out pretty quickly if the restrictions are extended past Jan. 26.

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Well, they'll have to figure that out pretty quickly if the restrictions are extended past Jan. 26.

No doubt. But for now they're likely focused on things that they can control. No sense in taking all focus away from preparation to prepare for a limitless amount of unknown scenarios.

FWIW if we were to go to reduced capacity I think the first cancelled tickets should be the re-sale tickets. F them.

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No doubt. But for now they're likely focused on things that they can control. No sense in taking all focus away from preparation to prepare for a limitless amount of unknown scenarios.

I'm not expecting them to prepare for limitless scenarios. That would be unreasonable. I am just curious as to what happens if the current restrictions are extended. 

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'm not expecting them to prepare for limitless scenarios. That would be unreasonable. I am just curious as to what happens if the current restrictions are extended. 

Actually I’m sure they are planning for contingencies behind the scenes.  But really no use in saying anything until/unless that happens.  If they did, then they’d have to answer hypotheticals from people and just potentially waste their own time.  If I were them, I’d be saying nothing either.

25 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I get that this sucks and is frustrating, but this shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

1 - Full capacity (no one Fucked)

2 - Reduced Capacity (25%-75% of Ticket Holders are Fucked) Most likely some sort of random lottery

3 - Everyone in attendance must have 3rd shot (Anyone without third dose Fucked)

4 - No Capacity (Everyone Fucked, but at least we get to watch a game on TV)

Edited by johnyb

As someone who did this work for unbearable amount of time, this is it. All of these are written and re written and in a drawer. 

However, if you were to talk about Option 1 right now publicly, you might as well cross it off the list. 

Relax and do nothing.

I found a gif that is appropriate. 

MemorableMajesticArgentineruddyduck-max-1mb.gif.538c993bc224cce3ceff4d1dca621a68.gif

13 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I get that this sucks and is frustrating, but this shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

1 - Full capacity (no one Fucked)

2 - Reduced Capacity (25%-75% of Ticket Holders are Fucked) Most likely some sort of random lottery

3 - Everyone in attendance must have 3rd shot (Anyone without third dose Fucked)

4 - No Capacity (Everyone Fucked, but at least we get to watch a game on TV)

Edited by Califax

6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I understand that the government's decision will be beyond anyone's control. 

It would just help to know a bit about Soccer Canada's contingency plan in the event of reduced capacity (i.e. lottery system and which seats will be affected, etc.).

I think they risk alienating a lot of people if they wait for confirmation from the Ontario government. 

A simple message stating they currently expect the game to have full capacity but are considering X or Y option in the event of reduced capacity would go a long way. 

I know I'd appreciate a message like that. 

What would this message do for anyone?  There is nothing they can say that means anything. 

What would alienate people is a soothing placating message that is wrong.   How you reduce capacity is totally dependent on what the authorities want.  Total number or distanced?  That changes how it is done drastically. 

Why on earth would you announce anything regarding reduced capacity when it is still, under the existing rules full capacity. 

Could that change? Yes.  But don't shoot yourself in the face by announcing something before it happens.  

When the rules change, act. 

I don't understand why people think we are owed anything by the CSA now. Everything will be announced when they get the assurances from the Ontario government on the restrictions.  Everything could change overnight.

The Raptors went to zero fans basically overnight when the government changed the restrictions. The CSA controls nothing in this instance. I am sure they have multiple plans ready to go dependant on what the restrictions are on gameday.