Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I could have told you this nearly a year ago. 

It's all about grooming us for a mandatory booster. Unfortunately the timeliness for this game won't line up. They'll make life suck for the next month or so and then they'll say ok we'll give you back your toys but you need a 3rd trip to the donut shop. But again this game's date is unfortunate as it pertains to the time frame of the game plan

Whether we call it "grooming" or "helping", whether it is "bad" or "good", we know that's the direction this is eventually going, we just don't know the timing. I won't be surprised when the definition of vaccinated is having 3 vaccines. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That may be the case but that likely wouldn't take effect until the March matches. Remember the requirement for full vaccination was known about at least a month in advance. 

Good point. On the other hand, just because they gave one-month notice before doesn't mean they would now. If the booster takes effect more quickly the notice time may be shortened. 

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I could have told you this nearly a year ago. 

It's all about grooming us for a mandatory booster. Unfortunately the timeliness for this game won't line up. They'll make life suck for the next month or so and then they'll say ok we'll give you back your toys but you need a 3rd trip to the donut shop. But again this game's date is unfortunate as it pertains to the time frame of the game plan

Zero conspiratorial shit outside the Covid thread. None.

We can talk about logistics wrt to games outside of that, but none of this stuff here.

24 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I do not think they Americans would have a say in the choice as it is a Canada home game. 

Objectively speaking, at this stage they should and I'm confident they would. If we weren't able to play the game that would be our issue, therefore we shouldn't be able to turn around and inconvenience the Americans (as nice as it would be). 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Objectively speaking, at this stage they should and I'm confident they would. If we weren't able to play the game that would be our issue, therefore we shouldn't be able to turn around and inconvenience the Americans (as nice as it would be). 

Agreed - there is a deadline as to where Canada needs to tell them where the game will be for a reason.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

Agreed - there is a deadline as to where Canada needs to tell them where the game will be for a reason.

In the name of public health and safety anything regarding this match is currently on the table regardless of what decisions have already been made. This is volatile times and things are changing on the fly. The only way I see this match not being played at all in January is if goes ahead in Hamilton as planned and a day or two before match day some public health measure was put in place that would not allow for the match to be played. Anything were to happen earlier than that would give time for a move. 

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

The only problem is that these decisions need to be made ahead of time, not one day before the game. If case counts are still this high two weeks before the game then we're shit out of luck.

Then that’s on the CSA for not taking the opportunity now to make plans for a reduced capacity game.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Who says they're not?

Yeah, exactly.  I’m sure they’re making assessments/determinations about what to do next.  I hope they come out with some sort of announcement this week giving us an idea about options:

-no fans

-reduced capacity 

-waiting on government 

Anything really.  It would be great if they threw us a bone so we have something to work with.  I’m sure it’s a stressful time and a very difficult decision 

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Yeah, exactly.  I’m sure they’re making assessments/determinations about what to do next.  I hope they come out with some sort of announcement this week giving us an idea about options:

-no fans

-reduced capacity 

-waiting on government 

Anything really.  It would be great if they threw us a bone so we have something to work with.  I’m sure it’s a stressful time and a very difficult decision 

Unless the gov outright drops a nuke on it, it seems unlikely there would be an announcement.   They will hold out as long as possible.  The regulations by the gov have changed several times over the last week.  

They had to make plans for all these scenarios before they even sold a ticket. 

We need at least a week of hospital data, not case counts,  from now. 

3 minutes ago, afurry91 said:

Not me. I’m saying if it’s empty then it’s on them. Not the government. The government has made it clear they’re unlikely to 100% shut down outdoor events.

If it is empty, it is going to be because capacity is zero.  

There is no universe in which a sold out game goes to zero because some mysterious person forgot to read a memo.

30 minutes ago, admin said:

Unless the gov outright drops a nuke on it, it seems unlikely there would be an announcement.   They will hold out as long as possible.  The regulations by the gov have changed several times over the last week.  

They had to make plans for all these scenarios before they even sold a ticket. 

We need at least a week of hospital data, not case counts,  from now. 

I suppose my point is more not a final decision, but that they’re weighing options. There’s nothing else remotely like this happening across the country outdoors, so the rules here on what can happen feel up for interpretation.  Thank god they clarified patios can stay open!!

37 minutes ago, admin said:

If it is empty, it is going to be because capacity is zero.  

There is no universe in which a sold out game goes to zero because some mysterious person forgot to read a memo.

Then tell that to all the doomsdayers in this thread.

14 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I suppose my point is more not a final decision, but that they’re weighing options. There’s nothing else remotely like this happening across the country outdoors, so the rules here on what can happen feel up for interpretation.  Thank god they clarified patios can stay open!!

There are no options for the CSA to weigh.  They will do whatever they are allowed to do and enact plans accordingly to make it happen. 

There is no interpretation or ambiguity here.  They are not toiling through the gov press releases wondering what they can and can't do.  

3 minutes ago, afurry91 said:

Then tell that to all the doomsdayers in this thread.

I am not speaking to whether the bad thing happens or not. I am refuting the idea that the bad thing will happen, when it didn't have to happen solely because the default assumption is that somehow the CSA forgot to plan for this, when they have already done multiple games with reduced capacity. 

3 minutes ago, admin said:

There are no options for the CSA to weigh.  They will do whatever they are allowed to do and enact plans accordingly to make it happen. 

There is no interpretation or ambiguity here.  They are not toiling through the gov press releases wondering what they can and can't do.  

I’ll disagree with what you’re saying in a sense.  The problem is the date (3 weeks) ends before the game is supposed to be played.  Now obviously this lockdown/stage 2 likely won’t be lifted by then, but what if it is?  Do they wait until the 27th to make an announcement?  If they’re only allowed 50% but don’t get the green light until the 27th as well, would they do a draw before that date?  All I’m saying is there is some ambiguity as to what could happen.  Of course they have to do what the government says, I realize that  

Let’s say on or around Jan 27; Omicron still prevalent but not as bad as now.  Decision made…

Dining rooms in Ontario still closed, gyms still closed, non essential retail still at 25% capacity.  
Soccer game in Hamilton goes ahead with 12,000-24,000 fans.  

General population of Ontario says:

a) yeah that’s cool or

b) WTF?  

My bet is on b).  

That’s the perspective I’m coming from.  But hey, if it happens with fans, very selfishly, great!

19 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’ll disagree with what you’re saying in a sense.  The problem is the date (3 weeks) ends before the game is supposed to be played.  Now obviously this lockdown/stage 2 likely won’t be lifted by then, but what if it is?  Do they wait until the 27th to make an announcement?  If they’re only allowed 50% but don’t get the green light until the 27th as well, would they do a draw before that date?  All I’m saying is there is some ambiguity as to what could happen.  Of course they have to do what the government says, I realize that  

I was responding to the idea that this event is unique and the rules don't quite cover it and it is open to interpretation. It isn't.  They will get a clear answer on what they are allowed to do.  

The timing sucks. No one should likely be flying into this game at this point.  As the rules are set out, this is still a 100% capacity game.  Leave it that way until you are told otherwise.

Capacity is not simply about the absolute number, but also about spacing.  Since most orders will not cross a row or staircase, you would probably eliminate by alternating rows, but that is a guess.

34 minutes ago, admin said:

I am not speaking to whether the bad thing happens or not. I am refuting the idea that the bad thing will happen, when it didn't have to happen solely because the default assumption is that somehow the CSA forgot to plan for this, when they have already done multiple games with reduced capacity. 

And I was refuting the idea that the CSA will be forced to have an empty stadium because they will go all or nothing on a full stadium, and be surprised (and out of time for a backup plan) when the 50% restrictions are extended past Jan 30.

If the CSA is caught with their pants down without enough time to figure out which 50% of ticket holders can go then that’s solely on them.

Edited by afurry91

24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Let’s say on or around Jan 27; Omicron still prevalent but not as bad as now.  Decision made…

Dining rooms in Ontario still closed, gyms still closed, non essential retail still at 25% capacity.  
Soccer game in Hamilton goes ahead with 12,000-24,000 fans.  

General population of Ontario says:

a) yeah that’s cool or

b) WTF?  

My bet is on b).  

That’s the perspective I’m coming from.  But hey, if it happens with fans, very selfishly, great!

It’s not that hard to understand. COVID doesn’t spread (much) outdoors. COVID spreads like wildfire indoors. It’s pretty well known, and is the reason 50% capacity is still allowed and likely will continue to be allowed.

If the stadium is empty, it’s because the CSA overplayed their hand. Not because the government shut it down. Book it.

Edited by afurry91