Jan 30: Canada vs US

JAJ14

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I am genuinely curious as to what this alternate plan would be for dealing with the 50% reduction. 

How would you do it?

The 50% capacity was imposed by the City of Hamilton.  The city wanted 0.  CSA spent weeks negotiating it UP to 50.  The province is not the evil one here.  Were it only the province, it is likely this game would be 100%.

Is social distancing a part of the this in how tickets will be spaced?

30 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Honestly, I would much rather 1000 fans cheering on the team than a stale environment in another country.

Even if i don't end up with tickets in the redraw, i am glad the boys will get to play in front of their fans

For sure me being selfish I agree(ill be at the game in hamilton), but from a competitive advantage, costa rica wouldve been better. 

17 minutes ago, admin said:

I am genuinely curious as to what this alternate plan would be for dealing with the 50% reduction. 

How would you do it?

The 50% capacity was imposed by the City of Hamilton.  The city wanted 0.  CSA spent weeks negotiating it UP to 50.  The province is not the evil one here.  Were it only the province, it is likely this game would be 100%.

Move the game to Vancouver.

Bill Murray Yes GIF

Edited by Califax

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Costa Rica thing doesn't mean sense

El Salvador tried to play a match in US and FIFA told them no

If away team players werent going to be able to enter the country then fifa would allow the game outside of country. 

the el salvador situation was that they just wanted to play in the US just because

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Costa Rica thing doesn't make sense

Canada played in the US. Was El Salvador just doing it to sell out a big stadium in the DMV, pulling in US dollars?

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Costa Rica thing doesn't make sense

It would have likely been rejected if we were asking for the same reasons the Salvadorians were (i.e. avoid playing without fans).

It would have benefited us in terms of travel. CR just a short trip away from our opponents, but I don't see how it could have realistic been on the table considering FIFA's previous ruling.

If the Federal government refused to let the game be played, then it would be the same situation is the Haiti home leg in Chicago, in which case FIFA would likely have accomidated the Costa Rica venue.

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

There’s a difference between being happy you got your tickets, while feeling bad for people who didn’t.  I know I sure did.  

Your understanding for people who booked hotels, spent money on plane/train tickets, whatever else because they had tickets and now might not is truly moving..

You are good poster here, one of the best of the new crop. So I don't want to lay in too much.

But if we were really worrying about who gets to go we would not have chosen such a poor venue, with such limited capacity. I have my views on why that happened.

The CSA: but they have always been incompetent, and even now the entire programme is pushing its way to Qatar against them, the CSA throwing spanners in the works the whole way. 

So empathy for a fan losing money on travel to see a soccer match is not high on my empathy scale. It is not really proving anything to point out I should care more. I care about as much as the time I heard a teen girl tell me how she had tickets but couldn't get to a Corey Hart concert in Sudbury like 45 years ago.

We could make a fun list of things Canadians should care more about and don't.

Most fans, the vast majority, do not have the income to do such a thing, ever.  And less so in the midst of a pandemic, when all signs indicated that the risk factor was real, because it was objectively laughing in the face of uncertainty.

Then: cancellation insurance, and fares permitting cancellation.

I only care about the call-up, beating Honduras, beating the US, getting to Qatar. And yes, I have looked at airfare to Qatar for the first week of the WC, did so about 3 weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Canada played in the US. Was El Salvador just doing it to sell out a big stadium in the DMV, pulling in US dollars?

The Salvadorian government was making them play behind closed doors, so playing in the DMV would have given them a crowd. However, I think after it was rejected the government lifted the restrictions anyways. Someone can correct me if I am misremembering.

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not trying to be insensitive, but I am tired of this whole business.

We have a game against Honduras and it is much more important than who goes to this game in what condition. The result is far more important. You have enjoyed a football match on tv or streamed before, you get to do it again.

A result against the US is all that matters to me. The rest is just stupid in the end. If having fans and an atmosphere can help that, then great. But if the CSA had cared about that they would not have scheduled in a stadium so poorly designed for game-day atmosphere.

In the end I don't care who goes, or if you go, it matters not a bit to me. The only possibly relevant post in days on this thread was related to McKennie being able to make it or not. The rest is immature fluff.

And don't start going off on me because those who had tickets until now felt exactly the same: you had very low to zero sympathy for the thousands who couldn't find tickets. I feel the same.

Whenever I see UT get riled up to the point he wants to scold people like here or that time he needed to fight for the honour of Marseille, I just imagine his face probably resembles the following:

000.png

I don't even know where this is from other than it's funnier in GIF format but I can't find it on this website when I search the GIFS.

Edited by Macksam

57 minutes ago, afurry91 said:

Can they please not wait till like 30 minutes before the sale time to send out the presale code this time?

What?  so that the code could end up in the hands of scalpers?   No, send the code as close as possible to the time of the sale.  That is if there will be be a code.  if there is no presale for us witha code,  then we are all f***** becasue the tickets will all go scalpers

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Califax said:

This is a great villain origin story for a beef against Hamilton.

If I do go, I will go to great lengths not to spend a dime there. They should be persona non grata with the CSA moving forward. 

Meh. Hamilton was only chosen because BMO was unavailable. How often do we see that happening in the future?

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Meh. Hamilton was only chosen because BMO was unavailable. How often do we see that happening in the future?

Still,  there will other events in the future.   So yes, i too hope they toss Hamilton at back of the line.    Will be curious to see what the city does with the Leafs outdoor game.

11 minutes ago, RS said:

Hamilton was chosen because the CSA owed one to Bob Young after the Voyageurs Cup cancellation in 2020. 

Let's try not to be so naive.

BTW, I don't really buy the CSA blaming the city as a convincing argument.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist