2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year

Shway

1. David - A lot of this comes to his club form. He was on fire for Lille in the 2nd half of last season and was a huge reason for their shocking league title win, and he is currently the Ligue 1 golden boot leader over some no name scrubs like Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe. While quiet at times for the national team, he still scored 7 goals and got us the 3 points against Costa Rica.

2. Davies - The only criticism for him is he sometimes tried to do too much on his own sometimes, otherwise he's our best player and also had some big moments this year. Set up the important game tying goal against the US and scored the highlight reel goal against Panama that basically got us the win. Can be unstoppable when he's on his game.

3. Larin - Now that I think about it, I feel like 3 is way too low considering how clutch he was for us but I already made my vote. Big 2nd half of last season for Besiktas and he was our best player for the national team. Two big goals against Haiti in the early WCQs, and the four goals he scored recently were all massive for us. He was the only player to score against Honduras, USA, and Mexico.

1. David - His 2021 accomplishments would rank among the highest in the global football world, not just CanSoc. Never quite found top gear with the national team, but his club accomplishments in one of the top leagues of the world should make this a lock. 

2. Larin - Similar accomplishments to David but just a little less. However, where his club form wasn't quite David-esque, his national team accomplishments made up the difference. Absolutely clutch, scoring so many critical goals for us. 

3. Davies - We've gotten used to how important Davies is to Bayern and Canada. Despite having a really strong club season and flashes of brilliance with the national team, it's safe to say there's a lot more room for growth (which is exciting for us and terrifying for everyone else). National team form sometimes left wanting, and club form quietly world-class and solid without the flash and bang of earlier seasons. 

Love this quote from Damian Warner.  What a class act and says she something about soccer in past two years eh?

"Accepting awards like this is weird to me, because it is like a coin flip essentially," Warner said. "Andre won a gold medal, and Alfonso is having an incredible year. So, when you're picked, you kind of feel guilty to a certain extent. It's a good problem to have in Canada that we have so many athletes, and not only us three but the list goes on and on and on of people that were really successful this year. As a sports fan, that's always a cool thing to see.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Perhaps the winner of the Men's and Women's award should get their own thread?  Or perhaps get the announcement put on page 1 of the respective threads?  Just a thought.

Once the results from the Men's vote have been shared here, we'll post both winners on all of the V's social channels.  There is a single thread in the Members forum where we'll post the final results for both, but we can make one here as soon as we know who one the Men's vote.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

It’s Jan 1st lol

Yes.  In my opinion it should have completed and announced just before the other year end awards were announced.   We may be a small group but ppl out there know we exist and (i think) we are counted on as point of reference because we are the ppl who follow the game closer than the mainstream.  Thats why its important to announce it much earlier.   

Here is an example of what i am talking about.  How stupid are those ppl going to feel who voted for Phonzie in the other year end awards when they learn that a supporters group for Canadian soccer voted for someone else. Next year they might not vote for any soccer players.

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  In my opinion it should have completed and announced just before the other year end awards were announced.   We may be a small group but ppl out there know we exist and (i think) we are counted on as point of reference because we are the ppl who follow the game closer than the mainstream.  Thats why its important to announce it much earlier.   

Here is an example of what i am talking about.  How stupid are those ppl going to feel who voted for Phonzie in the other year end awards when they learn that a supporters group for Canadian soccer voted for someone else. Next year they might not vote for any soccer players.

Geez I was totally joking about this and you are being serious about it, really?

5 hours ago, RJB said:

In all fairness, can we perhaps get the results?  The women's results were released at 8:30 yesterday morning. I'm sure the video will be great, but better yet would be knowing who 

Guiliani might be available to investigate any voting irregularites if there is a problem with the tabulation.

We used to just post our votes here publicly and that was official.  If that was the case I could just add it all up myself.  Maybe that's a good reason to go back to voting in that manner.  You know, outsource the tabulation.