2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year

Shway

The criteria includes both club and country. How that is weighted is up to you.

Tough choice this year. I went with

1. David (very good for Canada and clinical for Lille in the calendar year 2021, helping them to the league championship)
2. Davies (World class. The goal against Panama was VITAL. Canada's talisman)
3. Buchanan (Davies lite and still improving. Some great goals for Canada as well, including against Mexico in the GC)

Could make a very good argument for Larin as well tbh.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The criteria includes both club and country.

So why are we limited to players on the CMNT? If you are basing your vote on club results then you are voting for a player award for that team or league and it has nothing to do with the Voyaguers.

I remember when we had slim pickings and few meaningful games so we were a little looser. Those days are gone as we are on the brink of qualifying, we are on top of CONCACAF and are ranked our highest ever in the world with a good chance to rank even higher. Time to stop making excuses and looking for silver-linings. Be proud of our CMNT players and respect what they do for us in a Canada Jersey.

39 minutes ago, ted said:

Be proud of our CMNT players and respect what they do for us in a Canada Jersey.

Whoa - bit of a stretch there.  It might be quite a surprise to the many people who have voted and who frequent this space that they are not proud of our CMNT players or that they don't respect what they do in a Canada jersey, all because they are also proud of what they do for their clubs.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

6 hours ago, ted said:

So why are we limited to players on the CMNT? If you are basing your vote on club results then you are voting for a player award for that team or league and it has nothing to do with the Voyaguers.

I remember when we had slim pickings and few meaningful games so we were a little looser. Those days are gone as we are on the brink of qualifying, we are on top of CONCACAF and are ranked our highest ever in the world with a good chance to rank even higher. Time to stop making excuses and looking for silver-linings. Be proud of our CMNT players and respect what they do for us in a Canada Jersey.

Weird, because I see A LOT of Voyaguers following CMNT players' club careers, trajectories, where they might be moving to, if they are signing a new contract, if they are getting drafted, if they scored on the weekend.

I'd say most Voyaguers are very interested in CMNT players' club careers. And I don't think it is a stretch to say some Vs even ENJOY it when our Canadian players do well with their clubs. That's part of the package. at least in my opinion...

Edited by Bertuzzi44

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Weird, because I see A LOT of Voyaguers following CMNT players' club careers, trajectories, where they might be moving to, if they are signing a new contract, if they are getting drafted, if they scored on the weekend.

I'd say most Voyaguers are very interested in CMNT players' club careers. And I don't think it is a stretch to say some Vs even ENJOY it when our Canadian players do well with their clubs. That's part of the package. at least in my opinion...

Exactly, that's the whole point of even being a regular on a forum like this. International games are few and far between, and the more Canadians do well at the top club level, the more scouts are interested in taking chances on our kids AND the more dual-national battles go our way.

Dest would have never considered the USMNT if Pulisic and their future core wasn't already on the scene. He was good enough to get the call for the Dutch but chose the Yanks for a reason. 

1. Eustaquio

2. Larin

3. Davies

It somehow feels wrong to leave David off the top three but my reasons for removing any other feel even worse, so this is my vote. In the end I went more for NT impact this year, especially as I’ve actually watched all of those. 

Edited by maccaliam

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Of course they are interested in Canadian Players Club Careers. Has no relevance to the point I am making and I don't understand why people are arguing with my point. You as an individual can make your choice however you want based on their hair colour, social activism, drawing the names out of the hat, or how they are playing for their club team. But don't suggest to others that somehow any of those factors are, "official".

Now fill in the survey and lets move on.

I wonder if we are getting close to where the winner of the Canada player of the year can effect someone's career. (Not saying this award, the one presented by the CSA).

I'm sure at this point every soccer executive in the world knows who David and Davies are. If Eustaquio or Larin wins the POTY over those 2 does a team out there think maybe they need to give them a closer look?

I like the diversity argument and the fact that many of us (most of us?) follow Canadians abroad with a passion. As well as the fact that in some years there hasn’t been much CMNT action at all to vote for. But if you had a CMNT player of the year trophy in your cabinet and had to explain that it had a lot to do with your club play I think many listeners would be confused. Maybe that’s a language thing.

In the end, I’ll go for diversity in a geographically huge country with much diversity. But I’m still going to vote based on what an individual player’s contribution is to our matches. Otherwise I can see someone winning the award based on their club career and something of the fame that may bring them. Which sounds to me more like The Canadian Press men’s player of the year than it does something CMNT specific. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Phew. 

But if you voted for all six I'm jealous.

I always thrown in my honorable mentions in this thread.  Tough vote this year.  Had to put Crepeau over Borjan because he delivered when called upon in Borjan's absence in a tough spot and is in the top one as best keeper in MLS.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I always thrown in my honorable mentions in this thread.  Tough vote this year.  Had to put Crepeau over Borjan because he delivered when called upon in Borjan's absence in a tough spot and is in the top one as best keeper in MLS.

Crepeau has really stepped up and changed my mind with his play this year. I felt good about him and then Camp Poutine (2020?) happened and I felt less sure. This summer’s Gold Cup play and then the Mexico-Jamaica-Panama window has given me a new appreciation of his ability to step in at any time. I wonder if Crepeau’s play has pushed Borjan to cut out his mistakes, as I haven’t felt concerned about a silly mental error from Borjan recently. Long may the improvement in our keepers continue. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:19 PM, gigi riva said:

Crepeau  has been a very pleasant surprise this year. He has been solid for The Whitecaps, Had a very Good Gold Cup, and was very solid during the matches vs Mexico, Panama , and Jamaica

Great personal year, but there’s at least 5 others with a better year.

1. EUSTAQUIO

In my opinion, the most important contributor to the cmnt. Also took a smaller league club to European play

2. DAVID

Amazing Club season, excellent year with the cmnt.

3. LARIN

Same comment as above

4. JOHNSTON

Importance to the national team is too hard to ignore even if I am only supposed to rank 3 players

Voted

1. Larin

2. Davies

3. David

Larin won't win, and I know it. However, the guy needs some love. 

Scored the tying goal against Honduras, the tying goal against USA, scored two goals against Mexico at home. These are massive performances for Canada. 

If we qualify, his performance against Mexico and through qualifying will rank higher than Craig Forrest at the Gold Cup for me. 

14 goals in 13 games and three goals against the USA and Mexico? Amazing. 

Edited by finchster

On 12/14/2021 at 7:37 AM, Kusch to the Corner said:

1. EUSTAQUIO

In my opinion, the most important contributor to the cmnt. Also took a smaller league club to European play

2. DAVID

Amazing Club season, excellent year with the cmnt.

3. LARIN

Same comment as above

4. JOHNSTON

Importance to the national team is too hard to ignore even if I am only supposed to rank 3 players

Your own opinion….but Davies ranks 5 for you 😵