2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year

Shway

10 hours ago, RJB said:

1 Davies

2 David

3 Larin

I wouldn't mind this being expanded to top 5.  Looking at so many of those choices, I'm not sure someone could fill out their ballot poorly.  I can make a case for a pile of the names on the list.  

I've spent some really lonely times cheering for this team.  I never thought it possible we would be in this position.  I'm so proud of this team and where they are, as well as who they are.  What a time!!!

This was how I voted, agree with the top five like it was last year, we now have so many deserving candidates.

18 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Remind me, who do the Voyageurs cheer for again?

I don’t cheer for Lille or Besiktas or Bayern. I cheer for Canada. I don’t care if a player is in a bad league so long as they play well for Canada.

I actually cheer for all of those teams because Canadians play on them!

Ok since everyone is sharing their vote.  

1. David

2.Buchanan

3. Davies 

This was maybe the toughest ever since this vote started because:

- TB is the players that impresses me the most on the CMNT.  He made some of the best highlights this year and get you sense that he is going to something incredible every game

- But I couldn't put TB ahead of David because David faces the competition of the like of Mbappe, Neymar,  Messi....etc.  and he leads that league in goals. Above that same company.  And he scored in CL

- I hate putting Davies 3rd because he been the face of the team.  Plays and starts on one of the best teams in the world.   

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

If this is Voyageurs player of the year voting should probably be for members

We don't really give a rat's butthole about all that.

Do we really need to be so worried about how the vote comes out as participated by 228 fans on an internet forum? I find it funny how some people are so invested in ensuring how they vote is reflected in the final result. 

Folks, technically this board is not even a legalised official Voyageurs board, and there is no condition for participation related to that. Participation has never been bound to becoming a V member, as until this year there was no such thing.

So just chill a bit and enjoy the diversity, I think it's great to hear opposing opinions, even if they are expressed by total idiots who are dead wrong, again ;) 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We don't really give a rat's butthole about all that.

Do we really need to be so worried about how the vote comes out as participated by 228 fans on an internet forum? I find it funny how some people are so invested in ensuring how they vote is reflected in the final result. 

Folks, technically this board is not even a legalised official Voyageurs board, and there is no condition for participation related to that. Participation has never been bound to becoming a V member, as until this year there was no such thing.

So just chill a bit and enjoy the diversity, I think it's great to hear opposing opinions, even if they are expressed by total idiots who are dead wrong, again ;) 

I hear ya, but considering this might be the first year we present the player with an actual award (and not fantasy) on behalf of the members donations. I think @Big_M has a point.

It might be the year to make it exclusive, so we know it properly represents the Voyageurs, absent possible trolls. 

28 minutes ago, Shway said:

I hear ya, but considering this might be the first year we present the player with an actual award (and not fantasy) on behalf of the members donations. I think @Big_M has a point.

It might be the year to make it exclusive, so we know it properly represents the Voyageurs, absent possible trolls. 

Have fun in the treehouse, boys.

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

agree with the top five like it was last year, we now have so many deserving candidates.

I agree.  5 might be too much for some past years whereby I really couldn't come up with 5 players to put on the list.  But this year, i could easily have added a fourth and fifth. i could have added someone like Larin, Johnston and Eustachio.  And i might have been able to change the order of the vote

Edited by Free kick

Still thinking about who to vote for...  but given the description of the award is best “Canadian Men's National Team Player” I think the voting should not give much weight to club play. If it was Best “Canadian Player”, simply the out-and-out best footballer over the year, that would indeed be easier. If the voters are weighing the votes erratically, the result may be too random. 

Or maybe it makes it interesting. Less predictable. But it does seem odd to me that, for example, one voter might be voting for Davies because he’s top 11 Euro and great at Bayern, and the next may be only considering his CMNT play. 

Edited by ECW

9 hours ago, ECW said:

Still thinking about who to vote for...  but given the description of the award is best “Canadian Men's National Team Player” I think the voting should not give much weight to club play. If it was Best “Canadian Player”, simply the out-and-out best footballer over the year, that would indeed be easier. If the voters are weighing the votes erratically, the result may be too random. 

Or maybe it makes it interesting. Less predictable. But it does seem odd to me that, for example, one voter might be voting for Davies because he’s top 11 Euro and great at Bayern, and the next may be only considering his CMNT play. 

I don't recall who won the award in 2018 (Hutchinson??), but I can assure you it was not because of their performance in the 4 CMNT games that were played that year against NZ, US Virgin Islands, Dominica or St. Kitts.  

I like the flexibility of the award - interpret it as you see fit, and to meet the circumstances in which the players find themselves.  I don't think it ends up being random.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Is there actually a problem? Is Doniel Henry or Teal Bunbury leading the vote or something??  All of the peoples votes they are talking about seem very reasonable to me, you can make a case for all these players.  

I’ve seen Crepeau make the ballot….I think that’s a problem 🤣

12 hours ago, kacbru said:

I don't recall who won the award in 2018 (Hutchinson??), but I can assure you it was not because of their performance in the 4 CMNT games that were played that year against NZ, US Virgin Islands, Dominica or St. Kitts.  

I like the flexibility of the award - interpret it as you see fit, and to meet the circumstances in which the players find themselves.  I don't think it ends up being random.

Ah, very good point! Cheers. 

(I can only hope, like this year, that it’s going to be possible to judge the award on CMNT play only - for many years to come.) 

Edited by ECW

10 hours ago, Shway said:

I’ve seen Crepeau make the ballot….I think that’s a problem 🤣

Our keeper for a famous draw in Azteca, for 40% of our qualifiers and the GoldCup. Where he stopped a penalty. Great club year, top keeper in MLS. Virtually no mistakes. Stellar. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our keeper for a famous draw in Azteca, for 40% of our qualifiers and the GoldCup. Where he stopped a penalty. Great club year, top keeper in MLS. Virtually no mistakes. Stellar. 

Let's not forget fantastic acting skills every 30th min to urgently start warming up when Borjan is "injured"... Oscar-worthy that is