2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year

Shway

19 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Great response. I forgot Davies missed the Gold Cup, but just like I weigh Country over Club, I also weigh WCQ over Gold Cup. Starting to think we should have done Top 5 this year!

Missed the gold cup through injury, not from resting - is important to note. 

Thought about top 5...but then I thought, for what. It would only make this even more harder, and an even greater possibility for ties.

This is for the best player award, not our top ranked players.  

Just to weigh in on club vs. country, I think national team performance should be the main determining factor, with club performance as more of a tiebreaker. 

Haven’t voted yet, but narrowed it down to some subset of:

Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Vitoria, Johnston, Borjan, Buchanan, Laryea.

Anyone else I should be considering? 

Honourable mentions: MAK, Atiba, Osorio, Adekugbe, Henry

Gonna do a deep dive into the stats before I come to a final vote.

If pressed right now, I would probably go for:

1. Davies

2. Larin

3. Johnston

I’m not super attached to that ranking besides my belief that Larin should unequivocally be in the top 3. 4 goals in 4 games the ocho (Honduras, USA, Mexico (H) x2) while missing the entire October window and the El Salvador game. Just typing that out may have convinced me to vote Larin as my number 1.

Voted.

Eustaquio.

Johnston.

Larin.

I don't follow everyone's club careers equally so only national team.

For me, the above three have been perfect at their respective positions. RB isn't flashy with us but Johnston has been flawless. Eustaquio clear winner though in my eyes.

Just now, Miche said:

Voted.

Eustaquio.

Johnston.

Larin.

I don't follow everyone's club careers equally so only national team.

For me, the above three have been perfect at their respective positions. RB isn't flashy with us but Johnston has been flawless. Eustaquio clear winner though in my eyes.

That’s exactly what I voted too. Was tempted by Larin for obvious reasons but strikers always get the bump for goal scoring. Eustaquio and Johnston have been indispensable. 

Thanks for starting this. I did it the last couple of years. Now you can deal with the annual debate about whether this is club or country weighed. I added the link from the one I started in May. I only put it up in May due to the end of the European season. Interesting to see the players that looked like contenders, while Buchanan and Johnston weren't even considered.

Also, as nice as the drop down menu looks I did like how it forced everyone to post their picks and led to alot of debate. 

I am also wondering how many people will vote this year. I imagine there is alot of new people using this forum. For reference I think the last couple years have been around 130.

Another interesting note is that last year Davies was #1 on almost every vote and David was #2. I assumed they would be hard top 2 for the next decade at least.

Edited by Stryker911

3 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

Hard to see how anybody but Larin could win this year. 

Wins the Turkish Superiga and scores the most goals in one calendar year for Canada in a year Canada went unbeaten in 14 World Cup qualifiers.

Because Turkey is not as competitive as France, by no means. David won his league too, far harder.

Because in Europe they are doing badly. And Lille tops their group.

And in their league this year they are doing badly as well. Okay, ditto Lille but they are closer to where they might be expected to be (mid-high table), unlike Besiktas.

Objectively, Larin was good for club until May, and has been good for Canada since then, but also missed a critical WC qualifying window, almost half our matches.

8 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

scores the most goals in one calendar year for Canada in a year Canada went unbeaten in 14 World Cup qualifiers.

He gets credit in my book for his goals versus the US and Mex in the Octagonal.  But why are we even considering those goals against the likes Cayman Islands and turks and caycos etc..?

All statistics against those teams in the prelim rounds should be discounted.

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He gets credit in my book for his goals versus the US and Mex in the Octagonal.  But are we even considering those goals against the Cayman Islands and turks and caycos etc..?

All statistics against those teams in the prelim rounds should be discounted 

We didn't play Turks and Caicos, I think you mean Aruba.

I'd be willing to discount goals against Aruba and Cayman Islands but against Bermuda and Suriname I think the teams were respectable enough. 

David and Larin are so close on the year it's really tough to separate them. Both were outstanding for their clubs including scoring in the Champions League. Yes, David was at a higher level but Larin also won the double for his club. I believe you have to compare them for Canada, which should weigh more anyhow.

I think Larin just edges it though. His goals against Haiti, USA and Mexico (x2) were big. David scored big goals against Suriname and Costa Rica. 

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We didn't play Turks and Caicos, I think you mean Aruba.

I'd be willing to discount goals against Aruba and Cayman Islands but against Bermuda and Suriname I think the teams were respectable enough. 

David and Larin are so close on the year it's really tough to separate them. Both were outstanding for their clubs including scoring in the Champions League. Yes, David was at a higher level but Larin also won the double for his club. I believe you have to compare them for Canada, which should weigh more anyhow.

I think Larin just edges it though. His goals against Haiti, USA and Mexico (x2) were big. David scored big goals against Suriname and Costa Rica. 

@Unnamed Trialist summed it up perfectly for me.  And that's why i didnt have him in my top 3.   The competition you face MATTERS!!

Turkish league is not equal to France.  See CL results

Aruba, Caymans and Bermuda are not equal to Ocho sides.  AND by a very very very very very large margin 

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

@Unnamed Trialist summed it up perfectly for me.  And that's why i didnt have him in my top 3.   The competition you face MATTERS.   

Aruba, Caymans and Bermuda are not equal to Ocho sides.  AND by a very very very very very large margin 

I suppose we all have different rating standards. In past years I would have given more weight to club play. But for me, Canada has played 19 games this year so club play isn't weighted as much. Specifically, it's silly to discuss how their respective clubs are doing when discussing Canadian player of the year. If that mattered then Davies would be ahead of both.

Working from play for Canada I don't think there's any doubt that Larin outperformed David this year. I agree with you that those sides are not equal to Ocho sides but even then, Larin has outplayed David if we forget about that prelim round. 

Larin scored the crucial goals against Haiti to get us to the Ocho. He has 4 goals in 4 games in the Ocho now. 14 goals in 13 games this year. Of his 4 goals in the ocho, all 4 were crucial.

David didn't have any goals against Haiti and has scored 3 goals in 8 Ocho games. 2 of those goals were to put us up by 3 goals.

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because Turkey is not as competitive as France, by no means. David won his league too, far harder.

Because in Europe they are doing badly. And Lille tops their group.

And in their league this year they are doing badly as well. Okay, ditto Lille but they are closer to where they might be expected to be (mid-high table), unlike Besiktas.

Objectively, Larin was good for club until May, and has been good for Canada since then, but also missed a critical WC qualifying window, almost half our matches.

Larin has actually played more for Canada in 2021 than David has.

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

@Unnamed Trialist summed it up perfectly for me.  And that's why i didnt have him in my top 3.   The competition you face MATTERS!!

David: 

WCQ Rd 1: (Aruba 1, Suriname 3)

WCQ Rd 2: 0

WCQ Rd 3: (El Salvador 1, Panama 1, Costa Rica 1)

GC: DNP

Total 7

Larin:

WCQ Rd 1: (Bermuda 3, Cayman 1, Aruba 1)

WCQ Rd 2: (Haiti 2)

WCQ Rd 3: (Honduras 1, USA 1, Mexico 2)

GC: (Martinique 1, Haiti 2)

Total 14  

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Larin has actually played more for Canada in 2021 than David has.

Every qualifier of importance and all of the Octo, every match. 

The only thing that makes it even close is Larin scoring big goals in our very last match. Which suggests people vote on very short term memory and emotional resonance. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only thing that makes it even close is Larin scoring big goals in our very last match. Which suggests people vote on very short term memory and emotional resonance. 

1. Larin

2. Larin

3. Larin

Let recency bias reign! 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can't speak for others, but I voted mostly on the total number of goals. He literally scored double the goals. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So what does it say that Larin has outscored David in fewer matches in the Octo?

Also, this argument makes little sense. Short memory? Larin scored huge goals against Haiti, Honduras and the USA as well. Meanwhile if we eliminate the preliminary round and forget our "short term memory" David hasn't scored a big goal.

Measuring goals since the preliminary round of WCQ:

Larin 9 goals in 9 games

David 3 goals in 10 games.

Edited by CanadaFan123

I took club and country performances into account and my #1 is Eustaquio.

He took a below average relegation zone team in Portugal to the edge of a European spot and he runs our midfield effectively every single game, plays a ton of minutes and is one of most important players game in, game out. Goal scoring gets all the headlines, but without Eustaquio in our squad, we aren’t enjoying these lofty heights.

I based mine on both club and country and on both individual stats and domestic titles.  Eustaquio was the exception but I think he is so under rated and it's only a matter of time before a big move.  I don't think we are top 3 in Qualifying right now without him.  And to take such a small club in Portugal to the top 5 and into the Uefa Conference League after a terrible ACL injury.  To be the best of the rest behind Porto, Sporting, Benfica and Braga with the budget and talent they have is as impressive as a title.

1) Larin

2) David

3) Eustaquio

Borjan and obviously Davies was a close 4th for me. 

Edited by Corazon

18 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Just to weigh in on club vs. country, I think national team performance should be the main determining factor, with club performance as more of a tiebreaker. 

This is for the Voyageurs CMNT Supporters Award. Club performance has absolutely nothing to do with it. What matters is what happens on the pitch in a Canada Jersey and perhaps what happens on the training ground/locker room/sidelines as a tie-breaker.