Canada Soccer Logo. Time for a new one?

Shway

Canada Soccer Logo. Time for a new one?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see a new logo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t care

I finally figured out what I don’t like about it: It looks fat.

Some of the finest most well-known physically fit athletes around the world lacing up their boots for this country, and we have an obese logo. Give them a shield or something slimming. 

So yeah, I wouldn’t mind a logo that doesn’t look like me struggling to get out of a booth in time to make kick off. 

Love the new Mexico logo...its incredible...

The new US logo is an improvement over the cheesy old logo...I think it was brought on for the centennial year and has that retro look...but I think it could use an update

I think Canada's logo could use a refresh and a more modern look but keep the basic feel of the current logo

On 12/1/2021 at 6:44 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Those Costa Rica, Mexico and USA logos are trash. They look as if a video game couldn't get the official logo rights so they came up with generic shields. The USA and Costa Rica logos in particular look like they could be for any sport.

Our logo is great. I wouldn't be opposed to us going vintage for a kit or two though with the 1986 logo.

The leaf/ball logo has been around since 1974 - that's pretty damn cool.  I have yet to see a mock logo that even comes close.

The USA one isn't bad but the other 2 are terrible. 

Agree 100% on the rest. A third kit with the old style logo would be outstanding. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I wonder what’s the age demographic that dominates this vote…

Not saying we need a completely new design, but it does need an improvement.

Every federation has made a change to their logo in the past 5 years. Why are we so adverse to change? 

…..especially with the limited history of success. 

I would say on average, the people on this board are on the “more experienced” side.  

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I wonder what’s the age demographic that dominates this vote…

Not saying we need a completely new design, but it does need an improvement.

Every federation has made a change to their logo in the past 5 years. Why are we so adverse to change? 

…..especially with the limited history of success. 

A bit of an odd post.

- the demographic breakdown of voters isn’t really a reason to overturn or question the result.  I think I get where you may be coming from (“the next generation of fans may want change” or something) but that doesn’t mean the strong majority of older voters is wrong.  It also ignores the possibility that young voters may come to appreciate the logo.

- i think it is a red herring to characterize this as being about people who are “adverse to change”. I am plenty comfortable with change - just not change for its own sake.  I just like the logo.  That isn’t some form of veiled conservatism and terror of the unknown - so it is a mistake to read too much into it.   

On 12/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, sstackho said:

I think we should modernize the logo and go with something like this:

image.png.3e9c21d4f1f902f1a98822432484415f.png

Those A's!!!

😊

Thought that font looked familiar.  What's next?  Add some verticle pin-stripes to the kit?

Like the logo as it is.  Not sure how much you can really play with the font without starting to effect the vibe.  It's nice in a way to see it being carried forward into happier days after so many decades of coming home charred and shot full of holes. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

A bit of an odd post.

- the demographic breakdown of voters isn’t really a reason to overturn or question the result.  I think I get where you may be coming from (“the next generation of fans may want change” or something) but that doesn’t mean the strong majority of older voters is wrong.  It also ignores the possibility that young voters may come to appreciate the logo.

- i think it is a red herring to characterize this as being about people who are “adverse to change”. I am plenty comfortable with change - just not change for its own sake.  I just like the logo.  That isn’t some form of veiled conservatism and terror of the unknown - so it is a mistake to read too much into it.   

It wasn’t meant to be offensive, just more to the point of when your older and have grown with a certain product. You typically acquire an affinity for said thing, and don’t like when things are changed. Maybe I’m reading into things too much, however the perception does seem like that. 

Now to say this is changing for changing sake, is complete unawareness of marketing and brand trends. Positioning the brand for the next generations/stay relevant is the very reason why brands/teams have tweaked and adjusted their logos. To essentially modernize it to make it more profitable. Whether you agree with that or not, it’s the reality. 

Its also possible that we have a timeless logo that doesn’t require change, …but I believe we don’t have that. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

A bit of an odd post.

I am very sorry to tell you this....but you may just be a conservative :)

On 12/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, Califax said:

I finally figured out what I don’t like about it: It looks fat.

Some of the finest most well-known physically fit athletes around the world lacing up their boots for this country, and we have an obese logo. Give them a shield or something slimming. 

So yeah, I wouldn’t mind a logo that doesn’t look like me struggling to get out of a booth in time to make kick off. 

Haha… you nailed it.  I’d love a full MapleLeaf like the Voyageurs logo… heck, the Voyageurs logo with a slightly larger Maple Leaf would look way better than what we have now.  Our logo looks like it belongs in a 90’s video game… a total redesign is definitely warranted.

12 hours ago, Shway said:

when your older and have grown with a certain product. You typically acquire an affinity for said thing, and don’t like when things are changed.

This is exactly why we shouldn't change it. It's not going to stop the people who don't like it from supporting the team, and eventually those people will like the logo. I'm not an artist, but there is nothing wrong with our logo. Besides, it's not even as important as a logo for teams from the 4 big North American leagues. It's a small crest in the corner of the jersey, not a giant logo as the focal point in the middle of the jersey. Maybe it makes a bit more of a difference on hats I suppose? But anyways, it doesn't need to change.

It should stay. It’s very Canada.

Of course, Canada is less so Canada than it used to be, both for the good (the continuation of multiculturalism) and for the bad (increasingly Canada seems to have trouble distinguishing itself from the USA) but I don’t think it’s possible to reflect any of that in a crest/logo. Just as well to stick with a moment of 1970’s design become tradition that everyone can recognize. 

Personally, I find winning with the old/current design sweeter than it would be winning with a new design that attempts to be rid of the past. Canada has already had their third kits featured in GQ so I don’t think we need to worry that we’re not fashionable. 

As someone in the graphic design field the major issue with the logo is the prominence of the soccer ball. A general rule of thumb for a sports logo is that it should be able to represent the group without using equipment from the sport. Think of the most iconic and instantly recognizable sports logos (Cowboys, Habs, leafs, Bruins, Yankees, Red Sox, etc…) Most of the top national programs I can think of dont feature a soccer ball at all, or if they do it’s a very small accent piece (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England, Germany, France, etc…)

The three big concacaf rebrands have done the same thing. US removed their soccer ball, Costa Rica removed the soccer player and mexico made the ball a much less prominent feature. Long story short, a logo with an instantly recognizable canadian icon like a maple leaf with less soccer ball would be a better more timeless option.

3 hours ago, ECW said:

…their third kits featured in GQ so I don’t think we need to worry that we’re not fashionable. 

If GQ only knew that they and anyone could have that same kit with their logo on it. 
Heck we could have a voyageurs kit for a fraction of the price…But that’s another point.

14 minutes ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

As someone in the graphic design field the major issue with the logo is the prominence of the soccer ball. A general rule of thumb for a sports logo is that it should be able to represent the group without using equipment from the sport. Think of the most iconic and instantly recognizable sports logos (Cowboys, Habs, leafs, Bruins, Yankees, Red Sox, etc…) Most of the top national programs I can think of dont feature a soccer ball at all, or if they do it’s a very small accent piece (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England, Germany, France, etc…)

The three big concacaf rebrands have done the same thing. US removed their soccer ball, Costa Rica removed the soccer player and mexico made the ball a much less prominent feature. Long story short, a logo with an instantly recognizable canadian icon like a maple leaf with less soccer ball would be a better more timeless option.

Thank you for this. You make the most important piece about sport element being in it. However not surprisingly, the response will be “that’s us” - which in reality is true across all of our national teams except for Rugby. 

So for me I’m looking for a modernization of the logo like you mentioned that even the top national teams have done throughout the years when they didn’t necessarily have too. 

Pro teams usually have the benefit of  concept that they can often use at the core if their logo.  The Raptors have a raptor (or the claw).  The Blue Jays have a blue jay.  The Penguins have a…well, you get it.  As a national team, Canada Soccer doesn’t have the benefit of that external identity.  It has “Canada” and “Soccer”.