Camp Poutine 2022: Canada vs. Guatemala Friendly in Miami - Jan 22 ahead of the next World Cup Qualifying window.

Cblake

So we will get together with our qualifying call-up a few days before the match, when the window opens, and fly to Honduras to play a match. 

Basically exactly what we have done until now, with successful results. 

Remember: no use blaming Covid because if it weren't for the pandemic we would have been left out of the Hex. We need to keep rolling with the same fortune we've had until now.

Just now, gator said:

Hopefully our Euro based players are available because relying on domestics who have been out of season for months in two tricky matches in Central America and vs the US doesn't fill me full of confidence!

Maybe the domestics should be taking the cue to get damn well ready. 

They are pros: did they really need the CSA to train them for 2 weeks for game fitness? It speaks very poorly of them if that was the case. 

Now that the CSA is saving a huge quantity of money by not doing this camp, they could give the groups--bubbles--in BC, Ontario and Québec a personal trainer--even someone now with less to do from the CSA-- and a properly designed programme and let them get to it. Also: are you telling me they don't have access to Caps, TFC or Montreal training facilities?

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe the domestics should be taking the cue to get damn well ready. 

They are pros: did they really need the CSA to train them for 2 weeks for game fitness? It speaks very poorly of them if that was the case. 

Now that the CSA is saving a huge quantity of money by not doing this camp, they could give the groups--bubbles--in BC, Ontario and Québec a personal trainer--even someone now with less to do from the CSA-- and a properly designed programme and let them get to it. Also: are you telling me they don't have access to Caps, TFC or Montreal training facilities?

Maybe I put too much stock in training matches but I am not convinced working out on their own or even in a small bubble does much good for match fitness! A camp with scrimmages and a training match would have surely helped but I understand the cancellation!

15 minutes ago, gator said:

Maybe I put too much stock in training matches but I am not convinced working out on their own or even in a small bubble does much good for match fitness! A camp with scrimmages and a training match would have surely helped but I understand the cancellation!

There’s the saying you can only train so much, but nothing gets you ready like playing actual games.

Too bad about the cancellation, but I get it. UT has a good point that getting together days before has worked for us up until now.

We have enough familiarity not to worry about a chemistry issue, but without this camp there may be fitness concerns for the domestic guys.

But at least that's mitigated somewhat if the Montreal guys get together for an early training camp, due to champions league. Piette, Miller, and Johnston should be relatively sharp, as will ZBG, Bassong, Choiniere, Waterman and Pantemis, although those latter 5 probably aren't getting a call.

Richie will be up to speed, thanks to the Forest move. 

So maybe it's just Osorio, Kaye, Crepeau, Cavallini we have to worry about, which is not so bad I guess. There are no other domestic guys to worry about my count. We'll be okay, it just would have been nice to work some of the fringe guys in (and play a friendly), but that's of secondary importance. 

Edited by Obinna

32 minutes ago, gator said:

I agree. But it is a question of a relative improvement. 

We all know the difference of those players who come into a preseason in form, and those who still have work to do. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CanMNT?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CanMNT</a> has cancelled its January camp for out-of-season players, including the friendly against Guatemala. Omicron looks like making this an exceptionally challenging window. USMNT will be thrilled to have two home games and a short hop across the border to Hamilton.</p>&mdash; Oliver Platt (@plattoli) <a href="https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1479139208577093641?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like Friendly with Guat Cancelled as well! Sorry cant seem to embed Olli's post

Edited by johnyb

27 minutes ago, johnyb said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CanMNT?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CanMNT</a> has cancelled its January camp for out-of-season players, including the friendly against Guatemala. Omicron looks like making this an exceptionally challenging window. USMNT will be thrilled to have two home games and a short hop across the border to Hamilton.</p>&mdash; Oliver Platt (@plattoli) <a href="https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/1479139208577093641?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 6, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like Friendly with Guat Cancelled as well! Sorry cant seem to embed Olli's post

I am exactly the same as you when trying to do such stuff, don't worry.

15 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I wonder if they considered moving the camp to Arizona.  That’s where the US camp is being held (looks like it’s still moving ahead).

And they have managed Covid completely different than we have on all levels. 

Am I missing something here?  When they say the cancellation, they mean the extended camp correct?  We’ll still have a few days training with everyone the week of the 27th correct?  The way I was reading it with some comments here is like the team will meet up the 26th and go from there.  I know it’s not ideal but the MLS guys will be training on their own.

54 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I wonder if they considered moving the camp to Arizona.  That’s where the US camp is being held (looks like it’s still moving ahead).

Pure speculation but to me it feels like a significant number of the invitees have covid because otherwise I don't see why this would be cancelled. Last year we had a camp in FL too when they had high case numbers, and going off what Nef (on northern futbol) and Wheeler have said about a number of of our players having covid it seems like the only explanation. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Pure speculation but to me it feels like a significant number of the invitees have covid because otherwise I don't see why this would be cancelled. Last year we had a camp in FL too when they had high case numbers, and going off what Nef (on northern futbol) and Wheeler have said about a number of of our players having covid it seems like the only explanation. 

If individuals get covid, they are out.  If the camp gets covid, we are out of the world cup. 

With Camp P. getting cancelled, this, if ever there is one, should be a time to call in more than 25 players. We need coverage against someone going down with injury or covid. Plus, it would be a way to call up some of the names who would have been called in for that camp, even if they dont play.

Use the opportunities you have during these times plus we should have cover with the stakes being what they are. Call as many as possible for the end of the month; finish the job. 

20 hours ago, trc2014 said:

With this logic, US insane to still be holding the camp?

Fresh news out of Florida from a very very close person to me who is very very reliable and not at all a covid doubter or anti-vaxxer: negative covid test results are being sold in South Florida at the moment.  Very easily attainable for people wanting to get back in the country.  You pay and you travel. 

So even if the US camp all catch it, if most of them are asymptomatic, they could still play and qualify.

All that being said, it would be soo CANMNT to finally have the players, coaching staff, investment, ranking and position to qualify for the World Cup, only to get out done by a pandemic.

Edited by costarg